Rihannsu
# 11
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Hmm... I just tried it on Zorbane's demo map. Neat trick. Not sure if I'll use it but it's cool.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
09-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Genious!
Real wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff going on in the Foundry.
Creating these work-arounds takes real talent.
Good job!
Captain
# 13
09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
That's impressive. Wow.

I'm still attempting to figure out how Kirkfat did his version of the trick in "Relics" with what appeared to be a timed door.
Career Officer
# 14
09-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I would love to see any kinks sorted and make it into actual mission/interior use.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
09-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I know that one, he made a video tutorial about that. The trigger is an enemy squad getting killed somewhere off on the map by a friendly squad which were seperated by (invisible) walls until the player triggers the turbolift. So the ride takes however long the enemies take to die.
Captain
# 16
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
I know that one, he made a video tutorial about that. The trigger is an enemy squad getting killed somewhere off on the map by a friendly squad which were seperated by (invisible) walls until the player triggers the turbolift. So the ride takes however long the enemies take to die.
sort of. Just a simple timer mob where the npcs spawn with the close of a door. door goes away (thus opens) with component complete death of targs. Turbolift shakes due to an energyball set to appear and disappear likewise.

I think it's in the 7th part of my triggers tutorials.

Also, re: Pendra's trick. There may be a way to use it to spawn without boffs. Simply put, if your spawn is put in a place that makes the player jump to a nearby respawn, then you can almost instantly spawn at the respawn while your boffs are stuck.

Note, this may note work in a published test due to boff pathing. We've seen how they are now spawning in places where they shouldn't because they don't think that they can path where the original spawn is set. It's worth testing though.
Rihannsu
# 17
09-07-2012, 11:13 PM
After seeing that trick a few times I kinda wonder if it might be possible to reuse it by getting rid of the respawn point you used previously.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 18
09-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Oh.. here's another idea... I was thinking about situations where I'd seen similar behavior and one of my missions does something similar, albeit unintentionally.

In Treasure Hunt, one of your objectives is to sabotage a device. When you do so, an objective complete trigger is used to replace the object with a destroyed version of it. The destroyed version is somewhat larger. One strange thing I noticed when testing the mission was that it you were too close, especially if you stood to the south, it'd move you away from the device(this didn't work if you stood inside the device). But this location WASN'T a spawn point. Maybe it only moves to a spawn point if the spawn point is close? Or maybe it's just trying to move you outside the object that appeared and can be coaxed into moving to strange locations?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Rihannsu
# 19
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I tinkered with it.... Check out "movement testing". I made it so that you walk straight forwards to a spot on the map, a block spawns, (usually) the game relocates you to the top of the block, where you trip another trigger, thus causing another block to spawn.... etc. All together this demo has 6 triggers. at the end of the sixth you're so high up it's hard to see the spawn point!

But I discovered something interesting. I screwed up during the edit process and accidentally made 3 blocks spawn simultaneously. When that happened it DID actually put you back at the spawn point instead of moving you the way it did with most of the triggers.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Rihannsu
# 20
09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Also I think I figured out the coordinate system used for Snap to grid!

When testing I tried using /loc to tell me how high I was after spawning the blocks on top of myself. The numbers i got made no sense to me at first.... then I realized something. The XYZ coords used for positioning things in foundry are in meters. /loc returns values in FEET! I suspect that some fo the weirdness associated with snap to grid is due to it using FEET for the grid that things snap to. It also explains why the cube I used for my test has two sets of numbers for it's dimensions. It's NAME claims it's a 40 soemthing cube, but it's description says 13. Well.... 40 feet is pretty close to 13 meters.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!