Captain
# 21
09-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Also I think I figured out the coordinate system used for Snap to grid!

When testing I tried using /loc to tell me how high I was after spawning the blocks on top of myself. The numbers i got made no sense to me at first.... then I realized something. The XYZ coords used for positioning things in foundry are in meters. /loc returns values in FEET! I suspect that some fo the weirdness associated with snap to grid is due to it using FEET for the grid that things snap to. It also explains why the cube I used for my test has two sets of numbers for it's dimensions. It's NAME claims it's a 40 soemthing cube, but it's description says 13. Well.... 40 feet is pretty close to 13 meters.
The devs started out with feet and then switched to meters without fixing what was set as feet. It's been a long, long debacle that has made the dimensions not fit with the coordinates. No clue if it's every going to be fixed.
Rihannsu
# 22
09-08-2012, 07:37 PM
So... they just recoded the interface to display in meters even though the game actually uses feet when storing the object coordinates? Hmm... new feature request time!
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
# 23
09-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
So... they just recoded the interface to display in meters even though the game actually uses feet when storing the object coordinates? Hmm... new feature request time!
I don't really know what happened, but it was stupid. An object's dimensions used to match the x, y, and z coordinates, so if it was 100 long, you could move it 100 up the X and it would be where it should be. Then, it just suddenly switched to meters or vice versa with no edit of the coordinates to match. It made some of my tutorials worthless.

Even the /loc command now requires us to do the conversion math. Dimensions are entirely worthless to us.
Rihannsu
# 24
09-08-2012, 09:11 PM
yeah... Good point. Dimensions on some objects really don't match how big they are.

The blue particle effect claims to be 2/3/2, but it's more like 1/1.5/1. But I suspect the game hasa way of deciding how big a model is that's largely unconnected to what we see when we look at it.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Career Officer
# 25
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I was wondering regarding the type of walls you guys use to do this. I found stacked cave walls a good fit, how'bout you guys?
Lieutenant
# 26
09-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxenite View Post
I was wondering regarding the type of walls you guys use to do this. I found stacked cave walls a good fit, how'bout you guys?
I've been using the one of the generic walls (the thin Fed-like one, the name escapes me). I've found that it works much better if you place some horizontal, some vertical (crossing in the middle), to cover all of the space that the interact can be used from. I've not had it fail on me yet when I've been testing it.

This opens up a lot of possibilities - using both sides of the Defiant interior, accessing the Jeffries Tubes in the TOS interior, for example - all without having to use a map transfer.
Career Officer
# 27
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadama View Post
I've been using the one of the generic walls (the thin Fed-like one, the name escapes me). I've found that it works much better if you place some horizontal, some vertical (crossing in the middle), to cover all of the space that the interact can be used from. I've not had it fail on me yet when I've been testing it.
I think I tried those at first and even in a crisscrossed pattern there were times when my character simply stood locked between two walls unable to move.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadama View Post
This opens up a lot of possibilities - using both sides of the Defiant interior, accessing the Jeffries Tubes in the TOS interior, for example - all without having to use a map transfer.
I've tested both these maps. Given that the rule of technique is that the respawn point you want to teleport people to has to be closer to the player than the original spawn point, they have some problems.

The Defiant set works, but you can't teleport from one built-in turbolift to the other. There is no way to get the original spawn point far enough away from the player that they will go to a new one. That said the two parts of the map are close enough that you can simply put in your own turbolift at the end of a hall that is closer to the player and do it that way. Or just not bother with turbolifts

The TOS map is another animal all together. The two main parts are very far apart. I could not find a way to make the teleport happen between the two. However you can teleport to the Jeffries Tube. Which could be cool if you wanted to do that as part of a story. Once there though I'm fairly certain you would not be able to get out, as you would loop back to the Jeffries Tube spawn point.

Oh, and don't use invisible walls. They don't work, lol.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Career Officer
# 29
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
The TOS map is another animal all together. The two main parts are very far apart. I could not find a way to make the teleport happen between the two. However you can teleport to the Jeffries Tube. Which could be cool if you wanted to do that as part of a story. Once there though I'm fairly certain you would not be able to get out, as you would loop back to the Jeffries Tube spawn point.

Oh, and don't use invisible walls. They don't work, lol.
That gives me an idea, couldn't you build a hallway from that turbolift, to another turbolift? Then when you get to the second turbolift it sends you to the next area
Career Officer
# 30
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd hold off on using this but I think it illustrates HOW Cryptic could do it.

It really just requires the option to have an interact trigger a respawn and the ability to manually adjust which spawn point is valid for a player at any given point... and then to have both doable in one interact.

Maybe have it handled like this:

You have a volume effect that redirects a spawn while a player is inside that volume. (While inside volume area X, you respawn over... here.) And then the option for interacts to trigger a respawn.