Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

View Poll Results: Which of these features would you like to see most in 2013?
More Feature Episodes 628 17.07%
More KDF Content 699 19.00%
More Fleet Missions / STFs 270 7.34%
More Foundry Improvements 63 1.71%
More Rare Ships 97 2.64%
Playable Romulans 1,123 30.52%
Improve PVP 315 8.56%
Improve Duty Officer System 73 1.98%
Improve Crafting 116 3.15%
Improve Exploration 295 8.02%
Voters: 3679. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 501
09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Why am I suddenly fearing that the new ships coming later this month are going to be in a time-travel lock box? ... WELLS and KORRATH-classes?

I'm less than thrilled and far from amused.

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,104
# 502
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
When it comes to a Romulan faction, the question still remains, would it be healthy for the game to introduce an entirely new faction that is now in the situation we just worked to solve? More than likely, if we were to add the ability to play as a Romulan, we would want to make it so that they could have their own experience, but ultimately fit somehow into the confines of our two faction game. Whether or not this means Romulans ultimately having to choose between which faction they support or something else entirely, the idea that Romulans would be a 3rd unique faction unto itself is a road STO may not take, if only to ensure the future health of the game.
There's a reason most MMO's have two factions anyway. A romulan faction in any form is not impossible, nor is it an unreasonable thing to have. It just wouldn't work at this moment in time. I barely touch my KDF character, I would likely never play a Romulan beyond the story missions, I'm always with my Fed. I would bet money that most of the players feel and act the same way. It wouldn't matter if there was the KDF, RSE, Dominion, and Borg factions, each of them with content comparable to the Feds.

The Federation would still have more players than all of those factions combined. I would lay $500,000 USD on that bet. (If I had it. )

The only way Cryptic could justify more factions is if there were genuine reasons to "try the other side of the fence" for a while. (I have been asking for cross faction rewards for a very long time now) Unless Cryptic can do that to the extent that it would take to complete KDF, and then do it for other factions, (The scope of which would be gigantic) asking for more of them is kind of silly.

Like I said before, there's a reason most MMO's only have two factions. If they have factions at all.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,104
# 503
09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
Why am I suddenly fearing that the new ships coming later this month are going to be in a time-travel lock box? ... WELLS and KORRATH-classes?

I'm less than thrilled and far from amused.
As am I. Oh well... there's always the next lockbox....
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 434
# 504
09-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
Why am I suddenly fearing that the new ships coming later this month are going to be in a time-travel lock box? ... WELLS and KORRATH-classes?

I'm less than thrilled and far from amused.
Regardless, there will be new KDF and Fed ships for our 1000 day reward. Whatever comes our way, time will tell.


Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
# 505
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I think you're misquoting me but regardless, I would be content with our own faction, our own ships, and our own social zones. A simple enough answer for you Lethean, I hope it's simple enough for you to comprehend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
You stated you desired an "equal playing experience." Your words. Equal to whom? It's a simple enough question for even you to answer. Or is your Romulan heart filled with cowardice?

Actually I'm Lethean.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,592
# 506 Mark My Words
09-10-2012, 10:59 PM
if they do a romulan shortcut like for example romulan join the feds remen join the KDF for you would never see you ship unless it came out of a lock box same for the uniforms and thats if your lucky

i want to see a full stand alone faction with a green Ui with a romulan home planet it or base or both with romulan uniforms

if we get them like my example you will most likely never see of any of what romulan should get think about for ppl that got them playble klingon on the Feds can you use any of there ships can you use any of there uniforms is there Ui red like the real klingons?


and knowing the history of this game you can almost write that in stone

and dont forget you can do them anyways called makeing a alien and you be haveing the same thing as if they do the romulan shortcut just them pixel's want say romulan but instead (alien)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 622
# 507
09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadieras View Post
You see the posts like the one above me and you wonder why Romulan fans hate Klingon fans? It's not just that our respective factions hate each other, it's that they're more then willing to deny us an equal playing experience to make their experience better. Any time one group denigrates and opposes another for their own gain the ones being denied are going to strongly dislike those opposing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadieras View Post
I think you're misquoting me but regardless, I would be content with our own faction, our own ships, and our own social zones. A simple enough answer for you Lethean, I hope it's simple enough for you to comprehend
You forget we're telepathic. I cannot deny you that which you do not desire. If you claim you do not desire it then your point of experience denial cannot stand. Therefore, since you do not desire it, the experience you presently enjoy will suffice and playable Romulans in any form are not necessary. But you do indeed desire it all. Thus, the obvious animosity.
All cloaks should be canon.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
# 508
09-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Well then what I meant by an equal playing experience is plain as day, especially for a telepath such as yourself. It does not surprise me however, that hanging out with such animals as the Klingons would dull your mental capacities. Sad, just sad to see a species with such potential reduced so. Allow me to make it more obvious for your reduced capacities. Equal playing experience in this situation refers to having the same experience that the KDF currently enjoys which according to a post on the previous page has the perfect leveling curve
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
# 509
09-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
It is interesting to see all of the responses in this thread about the feature options for 2013. It is clear that the game has a lot of room to grow and over the next year it is going to be our goal to tackle as many of the features on that list as we can.

When it comes to "factions", one concern I share is that when it comes to Star Trek fans, it is predominantly made up of "Federation" fans. No matter how many other races or factions we consider, the Federation will always be the most popular because they have the "leading role" in the TV shows, Movies, and most Games/Books.

There is also the concern that players have put a lot of effort into their existing characters and fleets. It wouldn't necessarily be a healthy choice to introduce a 3rd faction that has its own fleets, duty officer system, ships, and bridge officers because it would be disruptive to the fleets and friendships you've made in game.

All of this is above and beyond the question of whether or not there would be enough "missions" for a faction to have a solid game experience.

Whenever I think of Federation and KDF mission equality, it reminds me of the challenges we had before we launched the game. There was a drive to get "X hours of mission gameplay" into the box before it shipped. This resulted in a decent amount of episodes and a large amount of lesser quality patrol missions.

Since then we recognized that we wanted to make higher quality episodes AND add KDF as a full PVE faction. What we've been doing over the last two years is adding premium new high quality episodes playable by either faction because it was hitting two birds with one stone.

Add in all of the STF changes, the new Fleet Actions, the DOFF system and now we have a situation where there is almost TOO much leveling content on the Fed side and a decent amount on the KDF side. After looking at a lot of data, it is clear that Fed characters that use the duty officer system and run queued event outlevel the patrol and episode content to the point where most players hit max level before completing the Romulan episode series. In our goal to introduce more quality episodes, we now have a leveling curve that is very fast for the FED side.

When I think of creating "Parity" for the KDF, the goal would *not* be to get KDF to the same place as the FED, because the fact is, the FED curve is too fast. In addition to adding just a few more Episodes for the KDF, we need to weed out some of the less important FED patrols from the leveling path. That is what will get both factions to 1-50 leveling curve parity.

When it comes to a Romulan faction, the question still remains, would it be healthy for the game to introduce an entirely new faction that is now in the situation we just worked to solve? More than likely, if we were to add the ability to play as a Romulan, we would want to make it so that they could have their own experience, but ultimately fit somehow into the confines of our two faction game. Whether or not this means Romulans ultimately having to choose between which faction they support or something else entirely, the idea that Romulans would be a 3rd unique faction unto itself is a road STO may not take, if only to ensure the future health of the game.

Please don't mistake any of this as the "plan of record" but instead me sharing my thoughts on the poll results and what it might mean for STO in 2013. Anything can happen and plans can and do change, but it is fun to discuss and get your feedback when it comes to these ideas.
If you are saying that you won't add a Romulan faction and that you also are not really planning to add more Klingon content and are planning to just continue with the plan of "oh well we'll shoehorn it so both factions can do the same content even though it doesn't make sense", than why did you include these options in your poll? The top two options are romulans and klingon content and now you're saying we'll get neither?

*sigh*
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 510
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
There is also the concern that players have put a lot of effort into their existing characters and fleets. It wouldn't necessarily be a healthy choice to introduce a 3rd faction that has its own fleets, duty officer system, ships, and bridge officers because it would be disruptive to the fleets and friendships you've made in game.
This should not be a concern. Most players already have several characters, either in different fleets or in the same one, and they make it work. It is also quite common to have "companion fleets" of the faction opposite from the primary fleet. True, they spend less time on any given character that way, but they still contribute throughout. Friends aren't even a consideration, because the friend system is account wide.

Personally, I spend about 60-75% of my play time on my single Fed character and the rest on my KDF, and a large part of that is the fact that I'm so determined to make a Science Ship work, whatever nerfs they throw at me. Actually, that's another thing I'd like to see: a decent balancing of the abilities. As it is a Lieutenant Tac ability and a Commander Sci ability give about the same DPS boost.

Last edited by jadensecura; 09-11-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM.