Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

View Poll Results: Which of these features would you like to see most in 2013?
More Feature Episodes 628 17.07%
More KDF Content 699 19.00%
More Fleet Missions / STFs 270 7.34%
More Foundry Improvements 63 1.71%
More Rare Ships 97 2.64%
Playable Romulans 1,123 30.52%
Improve PVP 315 8.56%
Improve Duty Officer System 73 1.98%
Improve Crafting 116 3.15%
Improve Exploration 295 8.02%
Voters: 3679. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Career Officer
# 531
09-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadieras View Post
I think you're confusing the RSE with High Elves in WoW. The Romulan race is not almost extinct, while losing Romulous was as big a blow to the RSE as losing Earth would be to the Federation it wouldn't mean the extinction of humanity.
Losing Vulcan in Star Trek 2009 left behind only a few thousand Vulcans.

If we're going with Rome (since that's the relevant metaphor for Romulus) then they went from 5 million to around 30,000 during their fall. So that may be a useful percentage. Or it may be helpful to consider that the Roman Empire was 40% urban and highly centralized, much more so than contemporary societies. Given that the United States TODAY is relatively urban (around 80%) and using that as a benchmark for how urban the future of Trek would be, for Romulus to feel Roman, most of the population would have to be on the planet Romulus.

This also matches what we know of Romulus.

Whereas Earth had 9 billion inhabitants, Romulus had 18 billion despite a presumably matched fleet size and number of people in the larger empire. Nearly all of whom were lost in the supernova.
Career Officer
# 532
09-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
bigo ding ding ding we have a winer think ppl still bying into that supernova that threatens the entire galaxy and think most if not the entier fleet of the RSE got destroyed JJ and that movie .......
This game is based around the aftermath of that supernova. This game explains why the supernova was a threat to the galaxy.

If you don't buy into the supernova, you're rejecting STO's setting to begin with.
Career Officer
# 533
09-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
just thinking outside the box here but is this not what the tutorial is for?

this game not that hard to get as ive always side a 4 year old could play this game
Nope.

That's what leveling is for in an MMO.
Career Officer
# 534
09-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
I think a Romulan full faction is important. Not as a sub-set of Federation of Klingons, but in its own right.

Let players make Romulan foundry missions before we can create Romulan characters, and integrate the best into the flow.
you know to me the foundry again to me was the Dev way to make a excuse to not make mission as much and it has showing over 2 years but they could take like doing a poll for the say top 5 Dev picked foundry mission the player base votes number one get adopted to Dev mission and i could do with out Voice overs and cute scenes i would more likely play a Dev adopted mission then i will looking for mission in the foundry

let me give you example of why i dont like foundry mission they are like the books to me they are not cannon what the Dev makes or if they took the ide of adopting mission it would be like prime universe cannon to me
Career Officer
# 535
09-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
This game is based around the aftermath of that supernova. This game explains why the supernova was a threat to the galaxy.

If you don't buy into the supernova, you're rejecting STO's setting to begin with.
hmmmm thot it said in a mission it threatened the system not the galaxy but its been since year one since i played any of the story line mission so i could be off
Lt. Commander
# 536
09-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
[...]
When it comes to a Romulan faction, the question still remains, would it be healthy for the game to introduce an entirely new faction that is now in the situation we just worked to solve? More than likely, if we were to add the ability to play as a Romulan, we would want to make it so that they could have their own experience, but ultimately fit somehow into the confines of our two faction game. Whether or not this means Romulans ultimately having to choose between which faction they support or something else entirely, the idea that Romulans would be a 3rd unique faction unto itself is a road STO may not take, if only to ensure the future health of the game.
[...]
There is just one minor thing that will bite you in the back most certainly then. Territorial control pvp just doesn't work right in a two faction game with huge population gaps between the factions. I've been there. I've played more than 5 years on a **** Server with a 2.5A/1M/0.75H relation and that server was considered 'mostly' balanced because most of the time there was some kind of truce between the smaller realms. When some parts of the community switched to warhammer and its two faction game the smaller faction got steamrolled over and over again, with a much smaller advantage of population (1 Chaos/1.2 Order [yes that is correct, I had the 'luck' to play on one of the few servers were order actually had more players]). Same company, mostly the same playerbase, very different outcomes.
Career Officer
# 537
09-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Losing Vulcan in Star Trek 2009 left behind only a few thousand Vulcans.

If we're going with Rome (since that's the relevant metaphor for Romulus) then they went from 5 million to around 30,000 during their fall. So that may be a useful percentage. Or it may be helpful to consider that the Roman Empire was 40% urban and highly centralized, much more so than contemporary societies. Given that the United States TODAY is relatively urban (around 80%) and using that as a benchmark for how urban the future of Trek would be, for Romulus to feel Roman, most of the population would have to be on the planet Romulus.

This also matches what we know of Romulus.

Whereas Earth had 9 billion inhabitants, Romulus had 18 billion despite a presumably matched fleet size and number of people in the larger empire. Nearly all of whom were lost in the supernova.
lets not take jj movie as example for alot of his story had lots of holes

also i dont beleave most of the RST was bottled up in one system galaxy is a big place ya know

and to be blunt stop compering star trek to real life equations you dont know how many planet where in the RSE how many system they had or even what the entier population of RSE is all you do is a guessing game

Last edited by daan2006; 09-11-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Career Officer
# 538
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Thinking about the "Improve PvP" option ...

IMHO this is one of the lower prioities. Put done the PvP-forks for a second and please listen first. Why do I come to this conclusion ?

If I remember correctly (please correct me if I remember this wrong) the devs mentioned that the total number of players doing PvP are that low (compared to the people doing PvE) that dropping PvP completly from the game would not effect the game population at all.
This should tell us much about the need to improve PvP. But it also tells us that there are not many people doing PvP. IMO STO was always heavy PvE-sided and I believe it will always be. Improving PvP (what-ever-that-should-mean if not balancing) would improve the game only for a small part of the STO population.

If PvP is improved/fixed/balanced new PvP players are also needed. At the current distribution of player population and chooseable faction from start I do not see that happen very quickly.

The entry for completly new players also needs to be simplfied. Not everyone wants to play as Federation or even worse Fed-vs-Fed PvP (you do not really fight, only ... aeehmm ... do Wargames! ... right) because of lack of factions. What are with the people who want to play the "Bad Guys" only ?
Currently there is only the KDF option after unlocking by playing Federation. It is like being allowed to join the Dark Side only after you managed to played halve of the game on the Light Side. I believe this is a problem. In a perfect situation all factions would be available from first day of playing. Maybe you can not start every race/faction from level 1 but thats ok (and can be fixed with a later release if needed) because of total mission selection for that race/faction.

I think both big SciFi IPs can be compared: both are very one-sided and focused regarding the official storytelling side (Light Side/Federation). If my memory works correct the Dark Side has a bigger or at least comparable player base in SWTOR. There are many people that just want to play as the "Bad Guys". But it needs to be a option first. Diversity is the key to success. I would even go so far to say STO will never outgrow it is current population level by big extent without more diversity. At the moment many Fed mission make you feel to be the Bad Guy and not a Federation captain honouring the Prime Directive and the high morale code of the UFP. But maybe Im alone with this ...

The leveling speed is too fast for enough PvP at something other than endgame level. Do you play some PvP matches or do two missions and go to the next rank with new powers and ships? Even when you only do PvE you can hit endgame before you finish all mission content. I believe that fast level process works against low- and mid-level PvP. I do not know how and if this can be fixed at all.

Everything that helps bringin more (paying) customers into STO is good. But do you really think improving PvP is the best method ? I believe players need to be able to play as a faction/race/career they want and fly a ship/do things they like to be happy and continue playing the game.

Thanks for listening.
Now you can raise the PvP-forks again ...

Thinking about the "Improve Exploration" option ...
Like a other poster already said. "No true exploration possible." The exploration engine would need an almost infinite list of options to generate new missions on-the-fly which do not repeat after a few runs. It can be done but it would requiere a very solid SOA like architecture to make the immersion of exploring the universe.
Multiple option count in a mission, variable length / duration, decision based routing and further option selectiong .... the list of to-do's to get this running is a major task for a developer.

Regarding KDF content update & Romulan faction.
Cryptic has shown & mentioned that content in mission form is not devliered easy and fast. Cryptic can not deliever new missions on a regular level (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly). Maybe there are plans to change this. We do not know.
All is focused on endgame. Missions for leveling are nice to have but not what you will use on daily basis after you hit endgame. I personally do not want to get more level-up-mission for Federation or KDF that need months of developemtn time and are consumed in minutes and never touched again. It will not extend my game experience.
If "normal" mission will not give you any reward comparable to the STF loot system or tokens to get high-level gear from a STF-gear-store system it will not be replayed very often. Why should you replay the mission (Im aware I only using the reward argument here)?

And to the devs : Thanks for the Ask Cryptic and the poll in this !
Please continue your great work :-)
Rihannsu
# 539
09-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Even if the Romulan Star Empire lost 80% of its population, there are still billions of off-world Romulans and Remans.

Not to mention client species, which now might actually get to serve in the Romulan Navy due to lack of personnel. That is good, because it gives more options to play on the Romulan side.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 540
09-11-2012, 01:40 AM
reflecting on what Dstahl wrote, i think it would benefit the game more, if the romulans became an additional race for the KDF.

a.) more content for KDF
b.) more ships for KDF
c.) more people, playing KDF

all the story elements could be done in a 3 episode feature series. But the klingons do not invade romulan territory, they rather overthrow what is left of the senat while sela is gone with the iconians.
Go pro or go home
Closed Thread