Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 31
09-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
This thread again?
You do realize that the feds have better ships right?
^this 10char
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek1wars View Post
What? you can drop mines when cloaked?
Never mind, he was using a battle cloak. (I fly a retro defiant)
Real Join Date: Jan 2012
Lieutenant, Fleet Cron-Beta
Empire Veteran
# 33
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwrathforever View Post
Do you remember, Roach?
When the smoke clears........
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 34
09-09-2012, 10:52 PM
It's more of klingons have close to none combat afkers. So if you PuG on fed side against kdf, you are likely to loose a fair share of matches just because of this.

One of the reasons I didn't pvp for like week and I do not miss it. I pre-ordered X-com, hope I will survive till it is released. Can't wait for it's multiplayer.
Empire Veteran
# 35
09-10-2012, 06:29 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
From a story standpoint, I think they've always intended that the Klingon/Fed war not "feel right", because it was supposed to eventually end in their alliance against the Undine, or at least detente in recognition that the common enemy is the true enemy.
In my opinion such is a good idea that the Devs have so far done poorly. Even when I played my fed toon I never got the impression that that the story was building towards a revelation of the "bigger enemy" and while playing my KDF toon frankly we have nothing that explains the war.
It would be great if the Devs could refocus on the War and the eventual movement to a cease fire between the factions to fight the common foe.

Quote:
The problem is they've created all their PvP around the idea of two factions, and their "year of hell" conversion to F2P derailed all the story progression, so they're just in this limbo where anything they do to fix PvP entrenches a story they want to move past.
Exactly, though I still feel the War backstory needs to exist in the lower and mid levels of the players progression and slowly go away as the player moves through the high levels of the game.

Quote:
Maybe the solution is arenas, ladders, and tournaments; so they can remove the FvK entirely and just make it *v*, fleets vs fleets, competitive premades with ingame bragging rights (titles and costumes) etc. Then they could turn it all into one big purple party until they're ready to introduce a new huge open PvP megasector with a new PvP faction.
Meh. I personally still like the idea that PvP in the lower levels be strictly FvK and become more impersonal at the higehr levels when one realizes the Undine/Iconians are behind it all.

Quote:
I kind of like this idea:

1) Anybody can choose to run flagged for PvP. You can only switch that choice at a console in a starbase, and all the starbases are safe zones. Flagged status is visible from a distance.
2) If two fleets agree to be at war (both have to agree), all members are automatically flagged in regards to each other.
3) If two fleets agree to be allied, they are never flagged to each other; but they inherit each other's wardecs.

Then every social map (except safe zones) becomes a PvP map, PvE folks aren't forced to participate, and people can't "stalk you" unflagged until your back is turned; they have to man up right up front and risk attack if they want to fly around flagged. Take factions out of it for PvP purposes entirely.

Basically it turns the game from a single PvE server to a PvE server and a PvP server, they just both happen to occupy the same space at the same time. Of course this creates new balance issues, as there will undoubtedly be some "sweet spot" combination of Fed and Klingon ships which together are difficult to beat. Usually if you give people that many combinations, though, they find counters.
Sounds like a system used in EVE, which is not a bad thing for PvP in my opinion.

Quote:
But they still need arena tournaments and ladders with ingame rewards for the top folks in a "season". It's cheap to implement the rewards, you just need a couple of new titles and some costume pieces, and you can reuse the same pieces for years.

One title each for the current champion, runner up, and perhaps third; the same for fleets. One costume piece for past winners, one for the current (and it vanishes from your account when somebody else wins).

I think the core thing missing for all of this to work, though, is a dev dedicated to PvP. I accept that it was prohibitively expensive before; but the team has doubled. It's time for Cryptic to take an employee who PvPs (half the old guard devs play EVE for Pete's sake) and say "congratulations, your new job title is PvP Lead, you get 20% of this artist's time, you get 20% of this map designer's time, and I expect to see your butt on the forums at least once a day making use of the dozens of people there who will help you with the numbers without us having to pay them."
I also agree. Its time to take that new growth for a spin and see what it can accomplish.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Commander
# 36
09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
The only point I agree with OP are carriers. Drowning in siphon drones and other spam is not very funny (and it clogs my computer). FvK were a "frack, no" since the new carrier spam hit the game. I try a FvK C&H from time to time as the chance of ending against a carrier are lower then with Arena. But still to high for my taste.

Of course the same goes with the Feds those days with Atrox and Akira-carrier in C-Store. PUG PvP Arenas are close to unplayable (for me at least). C&H is still funny, unless you end up against (or with) a carrier.

Outisde of carriers - no, Klikns don't have it easier. Klink ships are equal or worse then their Fed counterparts and good Fed PUG can win against a Klink premade (premade as in - players mostly/only from same fleet) if they know what they are doing and coordinate even a little.

Stick in Ker'rat and observe the FvK fights. As soon as Feds start using their minds and coordinate or even group themselves into a team and start helping each others - the game become even.
Rihannsu
# 37
09-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I also agree. Its time to take that new growth for a spin and see what it can accomplish.
If they have eyes, and ever want to use their CV again they'll firmly adopt a: "You break it, you fix it stance."

Which brings us back to Gecko, how has he been during the nothing to report period of pvp aka S1-7?
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Lieutenant
# 38
09-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Klink ships are equal or worse then their Fed counterparts and good Fed PUG can win against a Klink premade (premade as in - players mostly/only from same fleet) if they know what they are doing and coordinate even a little.

If the op of this thread is whining then he gotta either learn to play or stop trolling.

Sorry but the truth is that federation got almost all the things KDF got and many things KDF doesnt have.

So if you loose at pvp then its something wrong with you cause like i said FED got all the stuff and disables as you say that the KDF got only that FED got better stats at their ships.....

Instead of trolling/flaming you shouldnt speak at all.

Just l2p noob.
Captain
# 39
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek1wars View Post
Never mind, he was using a battle cloak. (I fly a retro defiant)
Fyi, only the B'rel can do this w/EBC and there's a brief window they pseudo decloak. You can prebuff TAC w/BC, but you have to full decloak to drop mines.

Further fyi, even w/the 3 sec decloak the B'rel maintains it's high defensive bonus and it's shield power stays at zero even though the shield may come up (assuming they haven't popped an ET). This includes things like TB and TBR which "decloak" the B'rel for more than 3 sec, but don't fullly break the cloak. To fully break their cloak you need to use something like a TB or EWP. Keep in mind Evasive Trait + EBC bonus defense + 2 part aegis = 140 defense.
Starfleet Veteran
# 40
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
It's more of klingons have close to none combat afkers. So if you PuG on fed side against kdf, you are likely to loose a fair share of matches just because of this.

One of the reasons I didn't pvp for like week and I do not miss it. I pre-ordered X-com, hope I will survive till it is released. Can't wait for it's multiplayer.
I played so much the original Microprose X-Com and also the others followed...a pure terror experience, the fear of the unknown, an incoming alien invasion...awesome!
These games made ​​me lose countless hours of sleep, but I'm confident Firaxix is doing a good job at what I've seen from the first previews.
And if I'll play less Stol sure the Devs won't be upset...I'm a Career Officer, I 've already paid for life ...
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!