Captain
# 1 Fleet Base EPIC fail
09-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Today my fleet sadly deciding to merge with a big fleet for the teir 3 and beyond are just too much. CRYPTIC YOU SCREWED UP THIS WHOLE IDEA. small fleets have no chance to get hire tiers. bad planning on your part.
Captain
# 2
09-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Thing is, when fleets start working towards tier 5 will be when the majority of smaller fleets (3 and under) will lose a significant amount of people since they will be migrating to the larger fleets with their pockets full of fleet credits.

Smaller, tight knit fleets have zero chance of reaching tier 5 in a year's time. The costs are simply too monstrous. The time sinks too long. Stick with a fleet for a year is absolutely idiotic of cryptic to think people do that. The variables for that happening are too many.

IF there was a way to convert fleet credits into fleet xp for the starbase it could allow the smaller fleets to sacrifice their personal earnings to boost the starbase construction. that way larger fleets can reach high tiers fast due to their size and their individuals will have fleet credits saved up but probably few provisions. Small fleets would reach tier 5 at the same time but have no fleet credits (individuals) and lots of provisions per member.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
0 chance would mean you can't accomplish any project.

I understand why you're angry. But not everyone is out there looking at the fleet starbase as just an end. Not everyone is going to be so choked-up on getting to the next tier supah-fast.

Starbases are going to be with us for the rest of this game's life. They're a long-term investment representative of your fleet.

They aren't meant to be a priority grind (that results in discouragement from impatient players).
They aren't meant to be completed in a matter of months or as quickly as possible (because then we'll all be kvetching about why it was so quick to complete and demanding more content, Cryptic failed to keep us engaged, etc.)
And they aren't meant to just be vehicles for special loot quick and easy; they are a shared community project with ongoing work and expanding modules to be added in the future, much like the Duty Officer system itself continues to be added to. One can say they don't want it to be quick too, but then that's just nit-picking.

The people who migrate to a bigger fleet and abandon their own just for loot are welcome to do that but please don't try to speak for the other fleets who aren't prioritizing Teh Lootz. There're other opinions on bases out there other than 'this isn't fast enough lol fail Cryptic'.

tl;dr: Slow down bro, it's not a race unless you want it to be.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Rihannsu
# 4
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
If your fleet has folded up so easily just because of a starbase, then it probably would not have lasted much longer on its own anyways. I do hope your fleeties enjoy their new fleets and starbases!

I'll keep on keeping on with my own little 1 person fleet, DoFFing the Fleet Marks to progress the projects as long as I remain interested in it...or until I can actually play a Romulan character in a Romulan ship with Romulan stories and Romulan game-play.
Captain
# 5
09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
1 man fleet? Loving it.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Commander
# 6
09-12-2012, 04:36 PM
This could have been a really good thing for small fleets. The sad part is that I believe Heretic had a big hand in the design of this; he left, and so this has been left. The starbase system is still in beta stage, and I fear that like most of this game, it always will be. The lack of diversity in special assignments is proof enough. There are certain classes and types of doff that are simply being hammered, and with at least a couple dozen different types, there's really no excuse for it.

Then you have things like the bartender project. The booze counts for the tiniest sliver of its progress, and provides a tiny reward. Yet it is the most expensive in either time or materials to fill.

This functionality has likely been all but abandoned as being 'good enough.' There really should be, as has been put forward by other posters, a two-path system for this. Shorter, resource-intensive projects for larger, more active fleets, and less resource intensive, yet more time consuming options for smaller fleets. It may take you longer, but it kills some of the resource grind.
Captain
# 7
09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97 View Post
This could have been a really good thing for small fleets. The sad part is that I believe Heretic had a big hand in the design of this; he left, and so this has been left.
All of Heretic's early posts stated the same thing: 25 members, playing casually - defined by him as 2-3 times a week for 3 hours - meant the base was expected to take 7 months to complete.

In actual numbers the project was expected to require 150 to 225 play-hours per week (25 people times 3 hours times 2-3 times per week) for roughly 7 months. 6-player Fleets would require 25-37 hours of playing per person per week to achieve the 7 month goal. It's all just simple math.

The Devs never promised small Fleets anything special. Considering there are 100, 200, 400, 500 member Fleets in the game the fact that they even designed it for 25 players is amazing, IMO.

I'm sorry Fleets of 1-10 members are finding it daunting, but they're supposed to. It wasn't designed for them. But even at only 3 months in there are plenty of 1-10 person Fleets at T2. Heck, Levi3 is a 1-person Fleet and he's been at T2 for a couple of weeks and is expected to be at T3 by the end of the month - but he's a grinding machine without a life.
Career Officer
# 8
09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
Today my fleet sadly deciding to merge with a big fleet for the teir 3 and beyond are just too much. CRYPTIC YOU SCREWED UP THIS WHOLE IDEA. small fleets have no chance to get hire tiers. bad planning on your part.
i have to agree for unless you have a boat load of cash ingame and out it is hard for smaller fleets
Commander
# 9
09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
All of Heretic's early posts stated the same thing: 25 members, playing casually - defined by him as 2-3 times a week for 3 hours - meant the base was expected to take 7 months to complete.

In actual numbers the project was expected to require 150 to 225 play-hours per week (25 people times 3 hours times 2-3 times per week) for roughly 7 months. 6-player Fleets would require 25-37 hours of playing per person per week to achieve the 7 month goal. It's all just simple math.

The Devs never promised small Fleets anything special. Considering there are 100, 200, 400, 500 member Fleets in the game the fact that they even designed it for 25 players is amazing, IMO.

I'm sorry Fleets of 1-10 members are finding it daunting, but they're supposed to. It wasn't designed for them. But even at only 3 months in there are plenty of 1-10 person Fleets at T2. Heck, Levi3 is a 1-person Fleet and he's been at T2 for a couple of weeks and is expected to be at T3 by the end of the month - but he's a grinding machine without a life.
And I'm not asking for anything special. I don't think it's a race. But you and I both know how receptive Heretic was to feedback. You can't honestly believe that he wouldn't be trying to work on diversifying these projects a bit more; as it stands, yes, there is the stated 7 month MINIMUM. I don't think giving projects that provide an even longer minimum path using less resources is anything special at all.

My fleet is rapidly approaching Tier 3 itself, and with no pressure to complete anything. And that's just fine by me. But some of the rewards for some of these projects are skewed the wrong direction, and there really should be a larger selection of projects. Doffing wouldn't be half as interesting if you had one assignment chain and a half dozen stand alone missions total. Maybe more missions are coming; but with the Cryptic/PWE track record, I'm fully prepared to accept that the Season 6 starbase functionality is officially dead in development, as it is 'good enough.'
Captain
# 10
09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97 View Post
And I'm not asking for anything special. I don't think it's a race.

In a way it is a race. Not to beat others to get the starbase but because of the equipment the starbase provides.

The advanced fleet items are already quite darn better than most mk12 gear..the elite and whatever comes in tier 5 will be even better. Space and ground equipment.

Those who are not in those high level fleets will be left behind in pvp since they wont have the incredible performance boost that equipment gives. PVE will see people without high level fleet gear struggling to catch up to the damage or tanking ability of others.

worse still, any new content that will come after fleet will surely be tougher because of the much higher tanking and dps of the fleet gear...those without it will be like someone in elite stf using mk5 equipment.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg