Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 31
09-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
That's because of how the missions and code are designed. Either everyone gets an alpha strike or no one does. It's not really workable to have it designed for some people to get without branching mission objectives every time use of a cloak is possible.

Now... That could be done in theory but it would involve creating mission branches that trigger for certain ships and not the actual cloak power.
If cloak is not intended for alpha strikes, why does it provide combat bonuses when dropped?

I can understand the 'skipping content' issue, but this seems to be a workaround rather than working as (truly) intended.

BoP's are clearly designed around the cloak, as alpha strikers. If the Devs are saying otherwise now, they have forgotten or lost their own design notes (which is not the same thing as lying).
Captain
# 32
09-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
That's because of how the missions and code are designed. Either everyone gets an alpha strike or no one does. It's not really workable to have it designed for some people to get without branching mission objectives every time use of a cloak is possible.

Now... That could be done in theory but it would involve creating mission branches that trigger for certain ships and not the actual cloak power.
Of course. And I agree. So make those options happen. But don't break a fundamental canon ability like cloaking just to appease some and annoy others. Make it work in a logical and reasonable manner that makes sense, not break it to uselessness or turn it into a "flavor" ability. But Cryptic should not be taking the lazy approach on a bug, then say working as intended when they can't find a solution.

I paid good money for a B'rel retrofit only weeks ago. Now we see the pivotal ability, the enhanced battle cloak, the one thing that allows a ship like this to be effective with it having less weapons, hull and shields than same tier Fed and KDF vessels, less effective because of cloaking changes.

This crap will stop if they want people to keep playing and keep purchasing z store items.
Just say no to ARC
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantrinidy View Post
Remember about a year ago when the cloak broke and Dan said "we have to go map by map to fix it, will take a long time but it will get done" and now he says "oh it was always meant to be like that" this really makes me mad as a KDF player who uses cloak i Kerrat.

Ps. This is my first post in over two years I though i need to expose this lie, as if we don't remember.

I am astonished as well. I distinctly remember it being stated, very early on after release, that this was a bug and they they were looking for a way to fix it. Now.. all of a sudden they are trying to say that it is intended?

Whether this is indeed intended or a cover-up-bug, either way this "feature" is bloody annoying and should be removed. There are plenty of episodes and movies where cloaked ships are able to hail and communicate with other ships...

This "feature" of being uncloaked when hailing mission objectives needs to be removed... or fixed. Since I do not buy this recent calling of it "intended," I say fix it please.

Thank you for your time.

[ Raptr ] [ @zebular | Join Date: Dec 2007 | @Captain_Ralubez ] [ BIOs ]
Community Moderator
# 34
09-08-2012, 05:59 PM
When Dan said it's a bug and they have to map by map to fix it, he meant they have to go map by map to put in the minicoms. Which is exactly what he said this time, only in more detail this time.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
So your telling me what he meant to say almost two years ago you must think we are idiots
Commander
# 36
09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
And that just means manually changing non-essential messages to flyover dialogue.

If it spawns an enemy, you'll still get decloaked. If it marks the beginning of a new phase of a match, you get decloaked.

Cloak is intended as a novelty option, the equivalent of maybe an ensign BO power. It's not SUPPOSED to be the anchor of a playstyle.
yes it can be an anchor to a playstyle, and strategy wth are you smoking? it's a cornerstone of the kdf and romulan tactics...if it was so unimportant why would either races even use it? apologists irritate me. there's no defense for bad coding. even worse recognizing it as a bug and never properly fixing it. the game relies entirely to much on dialogue triggers as it is. 'click this to proceed' every fracking minute.

perhaps i'm overly touchy about pop-ups...rerunning boldly they rode for phased gear...but it's not just that mission, cure is a major irritation playing as kdf because i have to wait for that comm to pop up at the end before i can cloak, else that breaks it. pop-ups in other missions breaking cloak and guess what? no time to recloak cause it's on cd now.

and before someone or this person comes back 'it's too difficult the codes too complex' BS, done right in the first place there would have been no problems. such as the cloak can only be broken by taking damage in the case of everything but enhanced, and captains orders to decloak. fracking simple eh?

and instead of 'fixing' missions that got screwed up because of cloak they should have taken it into account when creating the missions that players will CLOAK. seriously...it's like there is zero foresight at cryptic HQ. who's supposed to be the guy or committee in charge of covering all the angles? doing a lousy job of it. and continuing to do a lousy job of it...at least you're consistent.

Last edited by deadspacex64; 09-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Community Moderator
# 37
09-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
So your telling me what he meant to say almost two years ago you must think we are idiots
No, I'm telling you that when they introduced minicoms, and shortly after that Dan said they had to make per-map fixes for this, and then he comes back and says evidently some people misunderstood him because he wasn't very clear, and here's what he meant, you can put two and two together or you can assume that it was a complete coincidence that mincoms happened right before he said there was a fix that had to be implemented per map, and minicom are a fix that has to be implemented per map.

I'm sure you're right; it's a complete coincidence, there never was a fix, it's just a happy accident that minicoms don't break cloak.

This is why Dan doesn't talk on the forums anymore.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 38
09-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
yes it can be an anchor to a playstyle, and strategy wth are you smoking? it's a cornerstone of the kdf and romulan tactics...if it was so unimportant why would either races even use it? apologists irritate me. there's no defense for bad coding. even worse recognizing it as a bug and never properly fixing it. the game relies entirely to much on dialogue triggers as it is. 'click this to proceed' every fracking minute.

perhaps i'm overly touchy about pop-ups...rerunning boldly they rode for phased gear...but it's not just that mission, cure is a major irritation playing as kdf because i have to wait for that comm to pop up at the end before i can cloak, else that breaks it. pop-ups in other missions breaking cloak and guess what? no time to recloak cause it's on cd now.

and before someone or this person comes back 'it's too difficult the codes too complex' BS, done right in the first place there would have been no problems. such as the cloak can only be broken by taking damage in the case of everything but enhanced, and captains orders to decloak. fracking simple eh?

and instead of 'fixing' missions that got screwed up because of cloak they should have taken it into account when creating the missions that players will CLOAK. seriously...it's like there is zero foresight at cryptic HQ. who's supposed to be the guy or committee in charge of covering all the angles? doing a lousy job of it. and continuing to do a lousy job of it...at least you're consistent.
/agree You couldn't have stated it any more clearly.
AND the truth is, this bug is just hard to fix.... thats all.

Yeah, that's right.
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-08-2012, 06:59 PM
oh well the point is two years later its not what customers want and is annoying most people who use it everybody knows its not right
Empire Veteran
# 40
09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
oh well the point is two years later its not what customers want and is annoying most people who use it everybody knows its not right
But despite the fact we're customers, we can't get everything we ask for. Just because we don't get it doesn't mean we have to the right to call it wrong.

You can say they think we're idiots for this being a coincidence, or even a lie... but while you're doing so, things are going on behind their doors.

I will wait for the inevitable result of Dan's post, instead of making assumptions.

My two cents.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.