Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
# 51
09-09-2012, 12:46 AM
The thing is, to actually FIX the cloak they would have to go through the complete game, every mission dialog and tag it to decloak or not.

That would be super time intensive so it is not going to happen.

And yepp this is totally a "It's a feature not a bug" statement.... "working as intended", move along!

Shenanigans...

The problem is also, it doesn't decloak me when i need to react (press a button), but when the text pop up appears, so i have no control over when i decloak at all.

Can you imagine Star Trek 6 if all Kirk needed to do to decloak that Bird of Prey was to HAIL them?
That would have been a short movie...
Empire Veteran
# 52
09-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by September 2012 Ask Cryptic:
Dstahl: To clear up some confusion about this issue, let me shed some light on how cloak is intended to relate to interactions within the game. It is our intention that any interaction within the game will remove stealth. Anytime you are expected to take a game action of clicking on a button to respond, whether it is to scan something, or acknowledge a bridge officer, or make a command decision via a contact option, it should pull you out of stealth. With that said, there are undoubtedly missions out there that were made prior to the inception of the mini-contacts (the ones that fly across your screen) which are just providing information and shouldn?t need to be acknowledged. One reason we created mini-contacts was to allow information to be given by your bridge crew without you needing to acknowledge it for game design purposes. If you feel that a specific mission contact could be switched to a mini-contact that doesn?t need acknowledgement, then that is the type of suggestion that should be made. We can then look at the mission specifically and determine whether it warrants a mini-contact or not.
The way this answer is written is interesting. He's not saying 'cloaking was supposed to be this way from the start'. He's saying 'we want cloak to work the way it is now and some older missions decloak you unnecessarily'. Maybe he specifically said different in the Raptr Q&A but going off of this quote he's not trying to rewrite history, he's just saying 'this is how we want it to work'. The interesting part is that this answer is the exact opposite of Cryptic's previously communicated position on this, but Dan phrases the answer so that it sounds like this was Cryptic's intention all along even though he never explicitly states that. Basically, smoke and mirrors.

Regardless, it's still unacceptable. He comes out and says that acknowledging a Boff should drop cloak. As intended.
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Career Officer
# 53
09-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
Can you imagine Star Trek 6 if all Kirk needed to do to decloak that Bird of Prey was to HAIL them?
That would have been a short movie...
Actually, it would only be about 5 minutes shorter than it was, technically.
Survivor of Romulus
# 54
09-09-2012, 01:22 AM
By the way, Blood Of The Empire is actually fixed: You d?n't decloak there any more from the Boff statements.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
# 55
09-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Well, I'm no PvPer but I have a question: Why exactly is there "story content" on a PvP map? I mean, in the middle of the fight obviously.

Same question regarding the STFs - the game outright forces us to do these missions a bazillion times and every single time we are forced to click thorugh all the story bits - they don't change, we know what's going on after 300 runs, it's nothing new - but it breaks the cloak. If they can't fix that why isn't there an option for PvP and STFs to turn the story dialogue off once you read it one time?
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Starfleet Veteran
# 56
09-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Because the story bits are your button to tell the game "I'm ready for the next bit, spawn Borg cube please."
What's written as text in the window is meaningless from a gameplay perspective.
Without that button, there would be no way for the game to know when it should proceed.
Empire Veteran
# 57
09-09-2012, 02:36 AM
I understand why they do not want people going around constantly cloaked, and to be fair for story line content they are right.

However, for certain things they do need to implement the mini com. All PvP maps and war zones, fleet events, fleet actions, Red Alerts and the STF maps.

They are really the only maps where it is a problem, normal PvE missions in this game are so easy you do not need to cloak at all, so the times you can it is a bonus. I am on my 4th KDF character now going through levelling in a BoP and I do not see the need for a cloak in PvE story missions.

Fed side I have not really made much use of my Defiant or Galaxy X so I cannot comment too much on it. But as a KDF player if the above listed maps were given the once over to make sure my cloak wasn't effected as the missions progress I'd be very happy.
Which one will you be?

Last edited by jockey1979; 09-09-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 58
09-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
Because the story bits are your button to tell the game "I'm ready for the next bit, spawn Borg cube please."
What's written as text in the window is meaningless from a gameplay perspective.
Without that button, there would be no way for the game to know when it should proceed.
Timers? Like in the fleet events. That would solve that problem
Which one will you be?

Career Officer
# 59
09-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Ehm, sorry, but I don't buy the excuse that people could bypass story content with the cloak. 90% of the story content is blowing enemy ships up. What the constant decloaking does is making the cloak useless for that, especially for the enemies where it would be the most useful.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-09-2012, 05:13 AM
At the very least, put Ker'rat as a mini com thing. I find that's the biggest point of contention, PVE's too easy for it to be much of an issue, in Ker'rat it can get you smoked like a fine Cuban cigar.