Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Career Officer
# 21
09-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralkevin View Post
In order to better the quality of Elite STFs instead of wasting 1 hr on something that can be done in 5 minutes in STFs why not introduce a system (perhaps later on when the game engine can support this) that REQUIRES OR REQUESTS THE PLAYER RUN THROUGH at least 3 runs (or some other arbitrary number) on the normal version of the STF. The game would strongly recommend that the player run through the normal version in order for the player to learn how each STF operates.
/2cents
/endsuggestion/rant
This tells me you haven't fully considered things. The normal STF are nothing like the Elite STFs. You can steamroll those doing everything wrong and learning nothing with levelling greens and STILL complete the optional.
Commander
# 22
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
I see... So why the heck are there still people with like a dozen injuries? It's just so simple to heal/repair. That's beyond me...
I don't know. It boggles my mind.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Republic Veteran
# 23
09-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Taking a que from other MMORPGs, they need Gatekeeper missions prior to being able to do normal mode STFs and one prior to Elite mode.
Missions which require players to fulfill objectives solo in a time limited setting.

These Gatekeeper missions needs all the basic mechanics present in STFs, alongside other NPCs to simulate the Team aspect.
Republic Veteran
# 24
09-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Alternatively they could get rid of the separate difficulty levels for STFs, and only maintain one (Elite). Add on some minimum DPS, hull, shield point requirements to enter, similar to the shuttle check for vaults, as well as completion of all the fleet events and story missions, and only lvl 50.
Captain
# 25
09-14-2012, 02:14 AM
[sarcasm]I'd say just block all players without a standard build. Problem solved. [/sarcasm]

Sheesh, STF elitism at it's best. It's a frigging game, get over it. If you are so terrified of people not being able to rush through a STF in 5 minutes like you and your fleetmates do don't play public STFs, period.

I'm glad there are still people willing to tell "noobs" how to improve instead of barking at them and demand a lock out system for every player not fulfilling ones personal quality standards of MMO-gaming.

The only way people can improve in STFs is EXPERIENCE. Not in normal STFs, not in "gatekeeper events" but in the actual elite-STF.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh

Last edited by angrytarg; 09-14-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Captain
# 26
09-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I'd say just block all players without a standard build. Problem solved.
Fine if that was sarcasm, otherwise: How the heck would you define a "standard build" for the system to recognise?

A mandatory 2xEPtS, TT? The fact you have useful abilities doesn't mean you can use them, not to mention that the better a player is, the less he needs such universally good powers (if I may call them that). A good player can find workaround that work better for his specific (thus hardly "standard") build.

Similar to only allowing people with complete sets, or specific weapons. That just shouln't be the case.

The only (partial-)solution, that doesn't do more harm than good is letting a player run say 3 normal STFs of the type he then wants to run an elite, that valid for the whole account. That way people who end up in elites have at least seen the borg before.

Also, make it somehow clearly explained what injuries are, and that they're so very easy to heal/repair.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Captain
# 27
09-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
Fine if that was sarcasm, otherwise: How the heck would you define a "standard build" for the system to recognise?
If you'd read one single word further of my post you should safely be able to tell that it was - indeed - sarcasm

I'm tired by all those elitist snobs raging about how everyone but them ruins the game because it's possible that a random team will fail a mission. It's a game, plain and simple. It means nothing. Nothing you accomplish in this game means anything at all. So take it easy (General statement, not aimed at you ^^)
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Career Officer
# 28
09-14-2012, 05:15 AM
I've been doing STF's for nearly a year. I'm not the best player out there, but I can hold my own if I'm with a semi decent team.

A note on the comment about all the melee: A medic melee tanking a heavy tactical drone will do one or both of two things, one it will make it easier to kill beacuse of forcing it to be open to flanking and two, it will mean that while it's not shooting you, you can work on the easier to kill drones thus possibly actually saving time if the team knows what to do. An example would be the big room before Ogen on infected. The melee player goes straight for the Heavy at the back while two groups of two rescue the officers. Not many teams I've been in do that, but it works and saves about a minute of 'room clearing'. The problem is that many people don't know how and when to melee and just charge in. That much I'll admit, having got carried away and done it myself a number of times.

A few things I'm REALLY tired of though: Noobs in Elite - but worse are Vets in Normal (accolade hunters who forget that they've been moaning about how noobs shouldnt do elite - where else they should be getting to know the maps is beyond me). People who don't listen. People who are using Zone, Local or any chat channel other than Team. AFKers. Leavers. Sulkers (who just sit the whole thing out because we failed the optional at the first room on infected). Moaners. 'Sigh...'ers. People who don't use, have or know what a remodulator is. 'Leaders' who actually don't know wtf they're talking about. The one who goes left when everyone else goes right. People who just shoot everything. People who try to solo the level. Etc. We've all been there. We all know what I'm talking about.

I try to do stuff with my fleet. If that's not an option, then with people I've met on STF's, and if they aren't around and I am THAT desperate to do a STF, I queue with randoms. If any of the above happens, I just take it. Why? Because I've been doing them long enough to have the sense, maturity and patience to know that it's my own fault for putting myself in a random group. If optionals, quick completions were really so important to me that I would turn blue and have a tantrum a 5 year old would be ashamed of if it didn't happen, I just wouldn't run with randoms.

One of the first comments put it as simply as you possibly can: If you don't like what comes with PUG's, don't do them. It's so simple that I can't believe more super veteran ACME wonderboy moaners don't do it already. It would make your game experience better and the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with you either. Everyone wins. No need to restrict anything. Restrict yourselves, the game already allows for that, and let the devs concentrate on bug fixing and other content.

Last edited by redsoniavrel; 09-14-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
09-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Don't like noobs? Don't pug.

Seriously doubt Cryptic will add anything more than the already in place level gate to Elite STFs. Why? Because Cryptic has already provided those of you who think you are too cool to have to be bothered with anyone not on your uber-l33t level a way to avoid the noobs -

private queues.

Cryptic isn't going to make it impossible (or more inconvenient with gatekeeper missions or other arbitrary things like a minimum normal run count of X) for noobs to earn the MK XII armor sets that are only available thru elite STFs. You have an already in-game method of avoiding random noobs. Use it.
Captain
# 30
09-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
If you'd read one single word further of my post you should safely be able to tell that it was - indeed - sarcasm
My apologies. It's just that I've seen so many people who would actually mean a sentence like that...

(Still, I saw sarcasm as a possibility there. lol)
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!