Community Moderator
# 101
10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Loving this still, sadly my wife has to continue using Boot Camp as she needs a piece of Windows based accessibility software.

It's a simple .exe file, I don't suppose you know if it'd be possible to somehow get the wrapper to open a second .exe file placed within it at the same time as the STO Launcher? I tried installing it in a seperate wrapper but this didn't work out, I suspect the two just don't see each other, I pondered if having it in the same wrapper might let it work.

It's a long shot I know, just wondered if you had any clever ideas
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 102
10-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
Loving this still, sadly my wife has to continue using Boot Camp as she needs a piece of Windows based accessibility software.

It's a simple .exe file, I don't suppose you know if it'd be possible to somehow get the wrapper to open a second .exe file placed within it at the same time as the STO Launcher? I tried installing it in a seperate wrapper but this didn't work out, I suspect the two just don't see each other, I pondered if having it in the same wrapper might let it work.

It's a long shot I know, just wondered if you had any clever ideas
if they are in the same wrapper, they'll see each-other. The easiest way to make both launch at once is writing a batch file and making that the main executable for the wrapper.
Community Moderator
# 103
10-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
if they are in the same wrapper, they'll see each-other. The easiest way to make both launch at once is writing a batch file and making that the main executable for the wrapper.
I don't suppose you have a good guide out there for that do you? I came to the conclusion after a bit of googling, but couldn't actually figure out how to do that within a Mac environment.

Edit: managed to create the Batch file, open both apps, but sadly it doesn't seem to work for me. oh well will continue to tweak and play with winetricks, maybe there's a nack that I'm missing.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.

Last edited by tobar26th; 10-22-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Ensign
I've read the previous posts in this thread and no one seems to have the same problem that I have. I followed all instructions that were in the pdf, but I'm having a problem. I patched the game and once that was done I clicked "Engage". After a few seconds a popup window appears that says, "Failed System Specs Check" and gives me the option of running with default settings or with lowered settings. I have tried with each multiple times. The Cryptic loading screen went fine, but after it gets to the comm badge loading screen problems start. My computer will freeze, or at least respond VERY slowly and only to some commands. Applications can't be used even when in windowed mode... No force quit hotkeys will work, however the screenshot hotkeys work. (I timed it and after about 10-11 minutes it freezes. Which is how long you said the loading screen should take...) After it freezes the screen will flicker like crazy. The bottom half will be black (More like dark blue, but it is still on). The top half of the screen will be split into roughly equal horizontal strips and will flicker. The top part of each segment will be dark and as it goes further down it will get lighter until it hits the next segment where it will be dark. The pattern repeats... The only thing I can do is hold down the power button to shut it down.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have a feeling that it isn't meant to do that.

I have tried with fresh wrappers and by installing STO on Windows XP through VMWare Fusion as well as downloading the torrent version and opening the wineskin.app and selecting the setup.exe. Same problem occurs with the wrapper either way. I don't think it's a hardware problem since it runs without problems on VMWare...

I am running a late 2009 OS X 10.6.8. with a 21.5" screen, 8GB of RAM and with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400. I don't know if I could get log because once it freezes I can't use apps or select text in them. I've also never needed to get a log before so I don't know what app to use. I'm not an admin on this computer, but I am the main user for it.

Thanks for creating this port, doh123. It works for many others and I appreciate your hard work and how you have been very helpful for others on this thread.
Ensign
# 105 Not working -.-
10-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Hey guys! I'm having a real problem at the moment with this. I have downloaded the wrapper, followed the instructions perfectly, and I'm still having problems. When I open up STO, the launcher runs fine, but when I click engage, The cryptic loading screen comes up, followed by the STO Loading screen. This screen is normal for about 10 seconds, then starts flickering for 10 seconds, then music starts playing and my computer freezes at that point. Other programs (Skype) Aren't affected. I have tried all the work arounds (Getting Xquartz and disabling GLSL) And am trying to run it on a 19" iMac running 10.6.8

Please help me, I love this game, but can't run bootcamp for various reasons.

I'm dying here guys...

Edit: Same as the guy above me!!!!

Last edited by deathwing94; 10-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Ensign
# 106
10-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I have iMac with snow leopard on it and it works great. but it's stil suks that there isn't a official mac version of the game what I don't understand is this: Mavel comes soon with a game that runs the PC and iMac so wy can't do the folks at Cryptic the same thing?
Career Officer
# 107
10-24-2012, 04:18 AM
I have no idea whats going on with the weird graphics issues on 10.6.8 guys... I only have one 10.6.8 machine right now and it doesn't have an nvidia, maybe some issue with that? Sounds really odd, but I'm not sure what else you can specifically try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucky20 View Post
I have iMac with snow leopard on it and it works great. but it's stil suks that there isn't a official mac version of the game what I don't understand is this: Mavel comes soon with a game that runs the PC and iMac so wy can't do the folks at Cryptic the same thing?
the same reasons tons of games don't come out on Macs... the people in charge of the money refuse to spend any money on it because they believe there is more of a chance to lose money doing it, than to gain money.
Ensign
# 108
10-24-2012, 06:29 AM
That is a stupid reason i think

if you have - as fan - pc or a mac, you want to play the game
Career Officer
# 109
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucky20 View Post
That is a stupid reason i think

if you have - as fan - pc or a mac, you want to play the game
They run a business... business focuses on making money. If you are going to lose money by doing it... even if it would be cool.. its very unlikely they'd spend money just to turn around and lose it.

Its very possible their decision is wrong of course and that they'd gain money... but they use historical data as reference, and historical data is just too old to take into account things happening today... so its called playing it safe.
Ensign
# 110 Thanks
10-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
I have no idea whats going on with the weird graphics issues on 10.6.8 guys... I only have one 10.6.8 machine right now and it doesn't have an nvidia, maybe some issue with that? Sounds really odd, but I'm not sure what else you can specifically try.
Ok, thanks for getting back to us. I can run it fine on Windows XP through VMWare on the same machine, so I'm guessing the nvidia card isn't an issue because VMWare involves a virtual graphics card?

Should the Cryptic Studios folder keep all the game files in the same places as it would if played on Windows? Because I've transferred the folder between VMWare and my Mac and they don't detect any patched files if they were patched on the other OS and have to patch everything again. (Even though the game folder is still taking up the 10GB that it is supposed to, more data gets added on... So the data IS there) All other games I've played with ports have had all files within the game folder in the same place so it can be transferred between operating systems and the game still runs... It may or may not be normal, but I don't know too much about ports.