Career Officer
# 21
09-19-2012, 08:26 PM
10.8.2 is having serious issues with many things related to graphics... don't expect anything to work... stay on 10.8.1 for now.
Career Officer
# 22
09-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffstah View Post
2011 iMac 27" with a 6970M here.
Same as me. I had no trouble with the 1.3.1 wrapper I had been using in 10.8.1, and am patching under the new wrapper now in 10.8.2.

When I tried running the game with the 1.3.1 wrapper in 10.8.2 I never got past the login/launcher.

I'll let you know how it goes after I patch.
Career Officer
# 23
09-19-2012, 09:19 PM
The game will not work in 10.8.2 ... there is some serious issue with 10.8.2 and any 3D graphics trying to run with Wine are completely failing and hosing processes in X11.
Ensign
# 24
09-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
The game will not work in 10.8.2 ... there is some serious issue with 10.8.2 and any 3D graphics trying to run with Wine are completely failing and hosing processes in X11.
Too late :-/ Odd though, that something this fundamental would change in 1 point release.

What can I/we do to help fix it?

Incidentally, other 3D games I play work just fine (those that don't use Wine).

Edit 1: if this is down to Apple, has this been reported to Apple as a bug yet?

Edit 2: it does appear that the AMD/ATI driver has been updated in 10.8.2 (but not the NVidia driver). Oddly, people are reporting that it supports OpenGL extensions that were not supported before - so in theory I guess it should be better, if it worked..

Last edited by cliffstah; 09-20-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Career Officer
# 25
09-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Yeah so no dice. Isn't working for me either in 10.8.2. So for now STO is dead in the water for me.

Would be great if Cryptic/Perfect World finally stepped their game up and threw some $ at developing a os 10 version of the game.

Apple's market share of new computers is off the charts so I don't understand why they aren't as they look for new subscribers.

That said I won't be able to play until Cryptic/PW step their game up, or until this is fixed.

Standing by....
Ensign
# 26
09-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by traltalas View Post
Yeah so no dice. Isn't working for me either in 10.8.2. So for now STO is dead in the water for me.

Would be great if Cryptic/Perfect World finally stepped their game up and threw some $ at developing a os 10 version of the game.

Apple's market share of new computers is off the charts so I don't understand why they aren't as they look for new subscribers.

That said I won't be able to play until Cryptic/PW step their game up, or until this is fixed.

Standing by....
I'm not convinced an OS X "native" client wouldn't suffer this problem, since if there were one it'd most likely be based on Cider or some other Wine based/related tool. Does EVE online still work?
Ensign
# 27
09-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Apparently it's not just Wine with problems. VirtualBox too in some instances. Not sure if its the same root cause, but it is a 10.8.2 issue..

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4545033

In the case of VirtualBox, the author(s) are releasing an update to fix it. We can only hope for the same from WineHQ.
Ensign
# 28
09-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celillarnon View Post
Mountain lion would put you on 10.8.2, which is what everyone else is having problems with.
Count me as having problems with 10.8.2, too. Not good, not good.
Career Officer
# 29
09-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Too late :-/ Odd though, that something this fundamental would change in 1 point release.

What can I/we do to help fix it?

Incidentally, other 3D games I play work just fine (those that don't use Wine).

Edit 1: if this is down to Apple, has this been reported to Apple as a bug yet?

Edit 2: it does appear that the AMD/ATI driver has been updated in 10.8.2 (but not the NVidia driver). Oddly, people are reporting that it supports OpenGL extensions that were not supported before - so in theory I guess it should be better, if it worked..
happens on Intel and nvidia GPUs too... Crossover is broken as well... seems anything that uses Wine is broken.

Quote:
I'm not convinced an OS X "native" client wouldn't suffer this problem, since if there were one it'd most likely be based on Cider or some other Wine based/related tool. Does EVE online still work?
officially supported clients are always easier to use and usually less problematic... no matter how they port it. Cider doesn't seem to be having an issue with the update (its a fork off Wine from many years ago so is quite a bit different)... its something either in Wine itself, or with libXplugin for X11 support, which Cider doesn't use, but all other usage of Wine does.

Quote:
Apparently it's not just Wine with problems. VirtualBox too in some instances. Not sure if its the same root cause, but it is a 10.8.2 issue..

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4545033

In the case of VirtualBox, the author(s) are releasing an update to fix it. We can only hope for the same from WineHQ.
I'd like to know their fix... but VirtualBox actually uses some Wine code for their DirectX handling so it could be the same root problem.
Ensign
# 30
09-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
officially supported clients are always easier to use and usually less problematic... no matter how they port it. Cider doesn't seem to be having an issue with the update (its a fork off Wine from many years ago so is quite a bit different)... its something either in Wine itself, or with libXplugin for X11 support, which Cider doesn't use, but all other usage of Wine does.
A "native" (read: Cider) client would be amazing. As you know, Cryptic etc. are notoriously tight lipped on the subject. But I did email Transgaming a few months back to suggest they might find a customer if they approach them :-P

Quote:
I'd like to know their fix... but VirtualBox actually uses some Wine code for their DirectX handling so it could be the same root problem.
Ah interesting. Very interesting. I'd go digging, but as luck would have it my Internet connection went down and I'm currently 3G'ing on my iPad. In two days I've lost STO and my Internet - first world problems hey.