Ensign
Hey! Now I believe I'll be sticking with STO for a while I want to purchase either the Caitians or the Ferasans, now I'm not taking traits into consideration here but as I want to at some point give involved in roleplaying within STO I'll be taking IC aspects of the species into consideration, if that makes sense.

Now, so far this is what I believe I know about the two:

Caitians:

- Federation member species
- Several Caitians have reached the rank of Admiral at various points in Starfleet's history
- Generally seen as especially Intelligent and co-operative
- Build friggen huge carriers as well as stealth fighters
- The females tend to sound as if they are purring when they talk

Ferasans

- Allied/??? with Klingons
- Have pointier teeth

Yep, there's a lot more information about Caitians then Ferasans that I can find on my own, I am honestly struggling to find out anything about the Ferasans. The other problem is I would like a relatively 'good' character so I'm worried that if I go for a IKS Ferasan, they might be roped into doing some dark things, although I've only played the game from the Starfleet perspective so far and I may be wrong in every way. Regardless, does anyone have any sort of information about Ferasans? Stuff like typical behaviour and demeanour and how they differ from Caitians apart from obvious visual differences. As much as im leaning to Caitians I would like to make sure I know as much as possible before I choose one of the two.

Last but not least, I heard if you buy both, you get more hair options for the Caitians, true/false? Most Caitians I've seen have no hair, only fur.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britrabbit View Post
Hey! Now I believe I'll be sticking with STO for a while I want to purchase either the Caitians or the Ferasans, now I'm not taking traits into consideration here but as I want to at some point give involved in roleplaying within STO I'll be taking IC aspects of the species into consideration, if that makes sense.

Now, so far this is what I believe I know about the two:

Caitians:

- Federation member species
- Several Caitians have reached the rank of Admiral at various points in Starfleet's history
- Generally seen as especially Intelligent and co-operative
- Build friggen huge carriers as well as stealth fighters
- The females tend to sound as if they are purring when they talk

Ferasans

- Allied/??? with Klingons
- Have pointier teeth

Yep, there's a lot more information about Caitians then Ferasans that I can find on my own, I am honestly struggling to find out anything about the Ferasans. The other problem is I would like a relatively 'good' character so I'm worried that if I go for a IKS Ferasan, they might be roped into doing some dark things, although I've only played the game from the Starfleet perspective so far and I may be wrong in every way. Regardless, does anyone have any sort of information about Ferasans? Stuff like typical behaviour and demeanour and how they differ from Caitians apart from obvious visual differences. As much as im leaning to Caitians I would like to make sure I know as much as possible before I choose one of the two.

Last but not least, I heard if you buy both, you get more hair options for the Caitians, true/false? Most Caitians I've seen have no hair, only fur.
I think the Ferasans were simply created as a counterweight for the catians.

Yeah, If you by both, you get facial patterns and mohawk hairdos for both races.

I was thinking about getting the Ferasan, but I think withholding the facial patterns and hairdo on a single purchase was super douchey on Cryptic's part and decided to have no part of it. For $6, i should get all the options.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpfbJLLbczs
Community Moderator
# 3
09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
The Ferasans are the Kzinti with the serial numbers filed off.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
There's actually a 10 part doff chain (that is one of the better in-game sources for flight deck officers, Fed side) that explains the relationship and differences, the biggest reveal is in step 8 ("Access Classified Ferasan Database"). Ferasans are the product of a eugenics program. At least some of them have telepathic abilities in addition to the usual augment things, nepata leaves are somehow involved in triggering those powers.

There's no Ferasan ships in the game, but it's worth noting they control the homeworld and the Caitians are the refugee race. It's not clear how closely allied they are with the Klingon Empire. Right now their alliance seems fairly loose, like the Letheans. They're around, but their ships haven't been incorporated into the KDF and they're not fully represented in the recruitment pools.

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment_ch...itian_Diaspora
I suggest you read through the outcome text on the chain. Right now, that's pretty much all the Ferasan/Caitian backstory we have. It's not much, but honestly, it's not much less than we have the the Vulcan/Romulan split after all these years.

Last edited by hevach; 09-08-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Hey! Now I believe I'll be sticking with STO for a while I want to purchase either the Caitians or the Ferasans, ...
No matter what comes after the above:

Look at my avatar.

Look at my signature.

Look at the power.

Ferasans are better in every aspect, in my opinion. Considering you made a forum post, I'm assuming you want opinions. As for reasons, they should be obvious, but I don't have the time to go through all of them.

One big thing (to me) is, they're on the KDF side, which has better end game gear for ground and better ships for space generally speaking. Ferasan with cape = Perfection (not to mention the ground set bonus for KHG is epic). Caitian with white armor and a helmet = white armor and a helmet, enough said.

As for a 'good' character like you say, the storyline isn't exactly evil and is rather weak in general. So what you want your character to be will be what it is really, as storyline from missions is such a minor part. It's easy to make a nice Ferasan really.

As for history and such, which is important, there's not much known. Pretty much all you'll get is stated here already.

Last edited by sirepical; 09-08-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Ensign
# 6
09-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Well, I'll go for Caitians for now, I'll try KDF when I'm a *lot* better at the game...
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Well, I'll go for Caitians for now, I'll try KDF when I'm a *lot* better at the game...
Such a cliche choice honestly. If you want something different, there are way less Ferasans than Caitians. If you want to be like a ton of other people, you made the right choice.
# 8
09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
You did the right thing - make your own choice, take input from others but don't let it entirely affect your decision.