Captain
# 1 bug? No "X" "Y" or "Z"
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I wondering if this is some kind of bug, because I can't imagine it working as intended, as far as not explaining to new authors which box goes with what type of coordinates.

It used to show X: Y: and Z:, and now there are just empty boxes with no indications of what goes there. This has to be frustrating and confusing for new authors. At least when those boxes showed X:, the player could google what that means.

You guys should remember that it's a challenge to understand how these coordinates work, especially for someone who has never touched a map-maker.

So, please put the letters back. Taking them out only ups the learning curve. Thanks.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-06-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
09-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I wondering if this is some kind of bug, because I can't imagine it working as intended, as far as not explaining to new authors which box goes with what type of coordinates.

It used to show X: Y: and Z:, and now there are just empty boxes with no indications of what goes there. This has to be frustrating and confusing for new authors. At least when those boxes showed X:, the player could google what that means.

You guys should remember that it's a challenge to understand how these coordinates work, especially for someone who has never touched a map-maker.

So, please put the letters back. Taking them out only ups the learning curve. Thanks.
It's a bug, not intentional, and it's on our list.
Career Officer
# 3
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
is the work around maybe just explaining which letters should be in box #1,2,3 ?
Cryptic Studios Team
# 4
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
is the work around maybe just explaining which letters should be in box #1,2,3 ?
X, Y, and Z. In that order.
Rihannsu
# 5
09-07-2012, 02:05 PM
One thing has always puzzled me. Why is Y vertical?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, always seemed to me that the "Y" listing should be "Z", going by standard geometric terms and the way in which the player views the map (Z = height). It's pretty much just a cosmetic thing now, but hey, since it has to go back in anyway, why not make it make more sense, eh?
Captain
# 7
09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueeenterprise View Post
Yeah, always seemed to me that the "Y" listing should be "Z", going by standard geometric terms and the way in which the player views the map (Z = height). It's pretty much just a cosmetic thing now, but hey, since it has to go back in anyway, why not make it make more sense, eh?
Lots of different programs do it differently. Based on my use of things like poser, I would be confused if y wasn't elevation. I don't why there aren't universal standards.
Career Officer
# 8
09-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
X, Y, and Z. In that order.
Thank you
Rihannsu
# 9
09-08-2012, 08:16 PM
also you can think of them as "east-west", "up-down", "north-south"
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.