Career Officer
# 11
09-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Playing Devil's advocate here, is it unreasonable to assume that the Federation are capable of capturing, modifying and using a Borg Sphere for example? A cube perhaps would require too many crew to work effectively but even one of those could be captured intact by the introduction of a hypothetical nano virus that would wipe out the entire crew before their being able to adapt.

The sphere could perhaps be crewed by a couple of thousand people, I don't recall what the crew compliment for a sphere would be, it may be able to make use of advanced Borg weaponry and existing transwarp corridors to enable the crew to travel to the Delta Quadrant or other parts of the galaxy. It may be used to create a temporal vortex as seen in First Contact and therefore be useful on time travel missions, perhaps a vehicle for section 31 to investigate?

I wouldn't be absolutely against this idea, although the weapons against the borg we have in the form of STF gear, and the borg themselves use plasma which is pretty useless against most STF equipped players in PvP. However the Borg cutting beam, shield drainer....hmm, and my main character is a playable Borg so he would feel quite at home there! However, this lock box ship would have to be insanely rare, at least as rare as the JHAS, we certainly don't want to see Sol full of cubes and spheres!
Career Officer
# 12
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh God not this again. Practically anything by the Borg is going to be overpowered, especially if you're asking for a friggin' Cube.

I can't see the harm in a Collective Lock Box providing it's full of Borg Weapons and Borg Salvage Nodes (which players can then use for their Borg STF gear). The best ship we should be able to get via any Collective Lock Box though would be a Sphere; nothing more.

Personally, I don't ever want to see a Borg Lock Box, however knowing what Cryptic done with the Tholian, I'm expecting the worst here and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we did see players flying around in Borg Cubes.
Empire Veteran
# 13
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm not completely opposed to that, as long as the Grand Prize isn't a sphere or a cube. An assimilated Negh'var and an assimilated Galaxy (because both are iconic ships) would be far more acceptable imo. You simply get back what used to belong to your faction...
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I'm not completely opposed to that, as long as the Grand Prize isn't a sphere or a cube. An assimilated Negh'var and an assimilated Galaxy (because both are iconic ships) would be far more acceptable imo. You simply get back what used to belong to your faction...
I would not be opposed to assimilated ships like that, though, what is the difference in that and a Galaxy or Negh'var with the full Borg set?
Commander
# 15
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
The only way I?d even consider allowing a player to play a Borg Cube as a rewarded ship item is if and only if the Cube wasn?t allowed to equip anything. No Duty Officers, no Bridge Officer Abilities and no ship equipment.

Basically, it would be a ?Monster? playable ship whereas the player could use what the NPC normal Borg Cubes in Deep Space Encounters could use: Nano Virus, Borg Tractor Beam, Cutting Beam, Torpedo Spread, Plasma Beam and re-distribute shields.

Essentially the player would be able to play a NPC ship with all of the NPC trimmings at the loss of any of the Player trimmings; even this wouldn?t be fair however in PVP because other players could simply heal you up.

But there you have it. I vote NO btw.
Commander
# 16
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Sorry for double post? but what About a Borg Tactical Drone Bridge Officer? We have a playable Borg Captain, an Engineer Borg Bridge Officer? but what about a Tactical Bridge Officer that gives a passive resistance to the Borg Nano Virus ability as a space trait?
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
my idea would be that cryptic posts some decent in game advertisements from real life companys (like other games already did) on starbases, quarters, bridges (maybe console designed by apple ot something) and forgets about the lockboxes . Instead they could give us a free ship foe VADM, and advanced weapons shields as rewards for special missions (not like these random drops for Maco sets ). gold members and other subscribers still could get the better ships like Odyssey and the others but this would close the gap between the paying and the lots of f2p users a bit. Or they make the VADM consoles available for lower Tier ships (with or without adapting their stats to the VADM (so Seperation for Tier 4 Galaxys with or without setting the hull to he same level though they should be raised to an appropriate Tier 5 Ship
Captain
# 18
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willamsheridan View Post
my idea would be that cryptic posts some decent in game advertisements from real life companys (like other games already did) on starbases, quarters, bridges (maybe console designed by apple ot something) and forgets about the lockboxes . Instead they could give us a free ship foe VADM, and advanced weapons shields as rewards for special missions (not like these random drops for Maco sets ). gold members and other subscribers still could get the better ships like Odyssey and the others but this would close the gap between the paying and the lots of f2p users a bit. Or they make the VADM consoles available for lower Tier ships (with or without adapting their stats to the VADM (so Seperation for Tier 4 Galaxys with or without setting the hull to he same level though they should be raised to an appropriate Tier 5 Ship
I *might* agree to this if the adevertisements were not huge thngs plastered all over the wall of my starbase, and the day one shows up in my ship interior with a c store option to remove it is the day Cryptic loses the last sliver of my respect for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed at its finest.
[Combat (Self)] Your Ramming Speed III deals 158125 (201492) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to [Player's Scimitar].
The Great Risian Witch Hunt - a random five minute foundry mission!
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Captain
# 19
09-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleon22 View Post
Sorry for double post? but what About a Borg Tactical Drone Bridge Officer? We have a playable Borg Captain, an Engineer Borg Bridge Officer? but what about a Tactical Bridge Officer that gives a passive resistance to the Borg Nano Virus ability as a space trait?

So let's tweak this Assimilated lock box idea using some of the suggestions so far.

Grand Prize: Assimilated faction ship. Assimilated Odyssey or Assimilated Bortas Same Bridge officer layout as the tactical versions of the ships. Built in Borg regenerative hull ability doubling the hull regeneration rate.

Prototype Borg Salvage (Ground/space random)

EDCs (random rarity)

Delta Quadrant/Borg DOFF pack.

Lobi Crystals (Because Borg like shiny things?)

Lobi Store
Borg ground weapons or a borg ground weapon MK XII upgrade otion similar to the THolian ground set upgrade.

Borg Probe Small craft

Borg Tactical Drone Bridge officer (How the ferengi got ahold of a Borg Tactical drone I have no clue)

Random Borg styled melee weapon

Some form of Nanocell weapon booster like the sonic cell for the tholians, maybe somethign that can interrupt the connection to the hive mind momentarily creating a confuse state in the target.

Borg Probe non-combat pet

Anti-Borg Kit. (Automatically adapts to your character class, provides buffs against Borg and the appearance is a Borgified version of a kit from your class)
Career Officer
# 20
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Dont forget guys, we are having the USS Relativity in game soon. A "time" ship from 500yrs into the future!

I cannot wait for the devs to explain that one.

All bets are off.....