Captain
# 11
09-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanftd View Post
I'd like to see this topic pick up in here , due to the fact I'm banned from ten forward , Guinan threw me out and refuses to let me back in . So please continue in here lol
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=378111
Captain
# 12
09-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
I don't see it happening unless it's set in the abramsverse. That's where the trek story is continuing and much more importantly it's where the money is.
Its not going to last long, every true trek fan wants the prime verse back. I love the JJverse movie and can't wait but at the same time I want the prime verse to be shown. Its not set in stone.
Commander
# 13
09-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Why do I get the impression people don't like janeway as a captain due to her being a woman, only captain I really see getting slagged yet also the only woman, ohhhh contravertial.
Career Officer
# 14
09-10-2012, 08:22 AM
why is this still here in the Star Trek Online Discussion and not Ten Forward this really has not a thing to do with sto
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
09-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
i could see worf as rikers first officer and a show going from there.
Sadly, Riker already has his first officer and that's his wife.
Republic Veteran
# 16
09-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliescot25 View Post
Sadly, Riker already has his first officer and that's his wife.
Troi is not Riker's first officer. If you go by the books, Riker's first officer is Commander Christine Vale. Worf becomes Picard's first officer after a brief revolving door at the position. If you do not go by the books, then Riker has no first officer.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanftd View Post
Why do I get the impression people don't like janeway as a captain due to her being a woman, only captain I really see getting slagged yet also the only woman, ohhhh contravertial.
Because you never actually read any of the posts or watch the referenced episodes? She has a record of actual bad command decisions, she has a history of rejecting the advice of her senior staff, and even has a record of using intimidation to silence dissent.

It's why I cite Scorpion, specifically. It sums all of her major character flaws up at once and puts them center stage, usually you only get a taste of one or two of them at a time. She makes a terrible command decision, asks input on that decision, rejects all input that disagrees with her, and every time somebody questions her she confines them to quarters, silencing one crewman after another until nobody else is willing to question her. Oh, and surprise, her command decision turns out to be bad in exactly the way everyone told her it would.

Archer gets slammed a lot, too. He also had a solid record of poor decision making and ethically questionable actions. He also had a few points to his defense: He was inexperienced, had no predecessors' experience to draw from, and was a wartime captain for some of his most appalling actions.

Last edited by hevach; 09-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Career Officer
# 18
09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Because you never actually read any of the posts or watch the referenced episodes? She has a record of actual bad command decisions, she has a history of rejecting the advice of her senior staff, and even has a record of using intimidation to silence dissent..
oh so kirk was a good boy that followed all the rules ..... i think not even picard and Sicko didnt always and all the rest you named all the captains hvae dun the same thing

and if my memory is right one of them i name committed genocide
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
oh so kirk was a good boy that followed all the rules ..... i think not even picard and Sicko didnt always and all the rest you named all the captains hvae dun the same thing

and if my memory is right one of them i name committed genocide
Kirk broke the rules when he believed the rules were preventing him from acting for the greater good or when compliance would endanger the ship. Nearly all of his actions were broken down to almost naive levels of black and white, and even his questionable acts like arming peaceful natives were never deplorable in the given circumstances (in that case, warlike natives armed by the Klingons).

Sisko broke the rules to win a war. Deplorable acts but with extremely high stakes.

Janeway, however, on several occasions broke the rules for no gain to the greater good or the good of the ship, while on others enforced them to the detriment of the greater good or the good of the ship, punished free speech and used rank and intimidation to silence dissent. She committed deplorable acts with low stakes and frequently with acceptable alternatives.

Archer, meanwhile, also committed deplorable acts, with high stakes (lower than Sisko's but higher than Janeway's) and usually without alternatives.

One of these things is not like the other.

Last edited by hevach; 09-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
I don't see it happening unless it's set in the abramsverse. That's where the trek story is continuing and much more importantly it's where the money is.
i think IF there is going to be a new show, with a new setting and everything, then they might make it so different that it will work for both Universes or Fanbases.

like... 26th+ century for example.

ENT works for both timelines, because it is set in the past, the more you go into the future the less important the details of the past shows become.

but personally i think there is still enough demand for the prime universe (this games survival is proof enough).
It just depends who the next guy is after JarJar Abrams that gets to play with the license on the big screen.