Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 82
Hello all,

I'm considering upgrading my membership to gold and I'm looking for some input.

While I'm enjoying the "free to play option" I've realized that I've actually dropped more $$$ in about 2 weeks time purchasing ZEN than I have playing a competitor's MMO during 6 months.

If I chose to upgrade to Gold Memberships status, will I still have to purchase (with acutal $$$) ZEN? Ex: Duty Officer packs, lockbox keys must be pruchased with ZEN. If I upgrade to Gold will I still have to purchase ZEN to acquire these? What about other items that can only be purchased with ZEN?

Just curious.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 2
09-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Hello, yes you will still have to purchase Zen however each month on your join date (going gold) you get 500 Zen for free.

You also get expanded inventory and bank slots and every 100 days free vet rewards that can't be gained any other way in game.

Also if you go to a lifetime member you get access to the Liberated Borg (Humans and Klingon) to play. These however aren't all that good if you're a serious gamer and not a RPer.

Are all these items worth it? It's really up to you, however I think for what it's worth if you don't mind the smaller storage it's probably better to stay as a free player and just buy or grind for Zen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 705
# 3
09-10-2012, 06:58 AM
You get a bucket load of stuff for going Gold - even just for 1 month -

Stipend of 500 zen per month
Expanded Bank
Expanded inventory
Expanded EC limit
Account Bank
A 3rd character slot (normally you only have 2)
Respec tokens every time you get a new rank
Veteren reward every 100 days
Extra Bridge Officer slots



The respec tokens are worth it alone as well as the expanded bank/inventory, account bank inventory



Duty officer packs ect may not be worth buying as you can get bucket loads of DOFFs, you get loads free just from the SFA assignments twice a week or so as well as when you level up.

Best time to buy keys - if you want to - is just after a new box comes out as the EC price will skyrocket to around 2mil EC each - never use them to open boxes your self
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html

Last edited by verlaine11; 09-10-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,314
# 4
09-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post
You get a bucket load of stuff for going Gold - even just for 1 month -

Stipend of 500 zen per month
Expanded Bank
Expanded inventory
Expanded EC limit
Account Bank
A 3rd character slot (normally you only have 2)
Respec tokens every time you get a new rank
Veteren reward every 100 days
Extra Bridge Officer slots...
And probably the most important perk, 'Gold' members are given priority in all the queues...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,582
# 5
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post
You get a bucket load of stuff for going Gold - even just for 1 month -

Expanded Bank
Expanded inventory
Expanded EC limit
Account Bank
A 3rd character slot (normally you only have 2)


http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fr...eatures-matrix

most of that you can pay for one month then drop and keep
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 48
# 6
09-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Would be nice if they could allow Gold members to refine double the dilithium...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,314
# 7
09-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docroadie69 View Post
Would be nice if they could allow Gold members to refine double the dilithium...
What 'Gold' membership has, is its 'auto-refine' function, which will retro-active refine up to a weeks worth of skipped days, should you be decide to take a few days break away from STO...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 135
# 8
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
yeah, you're better off going gold for only a month to keep the benefits, then use your one stipend to unlock the credit limit.

It's really not worth it to sub continuously or go lifetime right now as the benefits are frivolous.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpfbJLLbczs
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
# 9
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Cryptic went about implimenting the F2P model all wrong, in my opinion. I found myself spending more money for ZEN this month than I did on my subscription, and that's the wrong answer. And unless I saw wrong a lot of vessels in the shipyard were only available through the use of their cross-game currency. This 500 a month stipend and occasional perks that are hardly worth the account upgrade have me teetering between keeping my sub or scrapping it for free play. STO is an excellent MMO based on a franchise that appeals to everyone on this planet in one way or another, Cryptic. I cancelled multiple subs across a few MMOs so I could focus my free time solely on your game. However, this greed and exploitation of the average gamer's spontaneity is going to bite you in the backside.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 10
09-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garogress View Post
Cryptic went about implimenting the F2P model all wrong, in my opinion. I found myself spending more money for ZEN this month than I did on my subscription, and that's the wrong answer. And unless I saw wrong a lot of vessels in the shipyard were only available through the use of their cross-game currency. This 500 a month stipend and occasional perks that are hardly worth the account upgrade have me teetering between keeping my sub or scrapping it for free play. STO is an excellent MMO based on a franchise that appeals to everyone on this planet in one way or another, Cryptic. I cancelled multiple subs across a few MMOs so I could focus my free time solely on your game. However, this greed and exploitation of the average gamer's spontaneity is going to bite you in the backside.
As I understand it a lot of people are just subbing for one month, dropping, and then spending their cash on Zen. This seems like a pretty good route to go IMO, and might be best for what you're concerned with.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 AM.