Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Starfleet Veteran
OK, i am a big star trek fan, seen all the shows, played all the games, put posts on here every now and then to get inforation or ideas on star trek topics, but one thing keeps cropping up, "Cannon", WTF is cannon.....
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
09-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Dual, dual heavy, single, turret?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Career Officer
# 3
09-10-2012, 05:55 AM
if you are talking about what i think its star trek law/history
Ensign
# 4
09-10-2012, 05:56 AM
i'm guessing you mean canon, not cannon...

in the broadest sense, canon means 'official'... if something is canon, then it's happened or appeared in the Star Trek series before, like character histories, events and battles that occurred through all variations of the Star Trek shows...

M
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Or do you mean canon? Canon is whatever we've seen on TV or in the movies. So, for Starfleet it would be Phaser arrays on all ships but the Defiant, for them DC or DHCs. And Photon Torpedoes on all ship classes except the Defiant and the Sovereign- Quantums for those two.
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Rihannsu
# 6
09-10-2012, 06:07 AM
this area can get a little grey but in a nutshell anything that appears in the shows is canon. anything that appears in books, games etc is non canon.

if someone wants to make a new tv show set in the 25th century, they have to follow what has happened in ds9 for example. they could if they wanted ignore everything said in STO.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Its easy to say ' books not canon'
But a lot of the newer books are licensed by CBS , so calling them non-canon is a bit of a grey area really.
In reality there are different tiers of canon .
Theres what most refer to as ' seen on screen' but then theres the books , the games ( sto for example ) that are all given the green light by CBS

So its really not such a simple case of saying , ' this is seen on screen , its official , that isnt , so it isnt official '
I know thats what gene kept on about in the tos and tng days , but recently its not so easy
12th Fleet
Fleet Captain , Engineering Division
U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
Career Officer
# 8
09-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrincy View Post
Its easy to say ' books not canon'
But a lot of the newer books are licensed by CBS , so calling them non-canon is a bit of a grey area really.
In reality there are different tiers of canon .
Theres what most refer to as ' seen on screen' but then theres the books , the games ( sto for example ) that are all given the green light by CBS

So its really not such a simple case of saying , ' this is seen on screen , its official , that isnt , so it isnt official '
I know thats what gene kept on about in the tos and tng days , but recently its not so easy
sorry but you just cant make a game book or any thing with the name star trek with or copy right laws so you have to ask CBS or who ever own the copy right to ST that dont mean books games or sto is cannon
Captain
# 9
09-10-2012, 06:24 AM
According to the official rules, only thing that is canon is what is shown on screen. There is one exception, the new Star Trek game coming out late this year or next year, has been deemed as canon. Not even the encyclopedia or the TNG tech manuals or STO is considered canon.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
09-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Where in my post did i even mention you could ?
i said stuff given green light by CBS is counted as a form of canon , since they own the rights , they say what goes , but then there are different tiers of this , since movies and TV are always going to be more official than say the titan books and sto
12th Fleet
Fleet Captain , Engineering Division
U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016