Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
I was thinking about this.

In general, there's this trope in Star Trek that men have kids and don't even know it. (Which raises questions about the lack of birth control.)

Kirk had one. Picard THOUGHT he had one. Sulu had one going by Demora's background in the books.

Of the ones who do have kids, most seem to be distant or overbearing jerks. (Janeway's dad being the best. Owen Paris, Riker's dad, Geordi's dad, Picard's dad, and others being par for the course.)

There are plenty of good mothers. Beverly, Picard's mom, Geordi's mom, etc.

But it seems to me that the only one with a good (non-dead) father in TNG was Worf and his adopted father.

And then all of the fathers on DS9 seemed like good fathers.

Even looking back at TOS, Kirk seems to be the only one to have a good relationship with his father that was spelled out and the J.J.-verse altered that.
Captain
# 2
09-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey now, don't you go forgetting our boy O'Brien.

But you're right, a great many Trek parents seem to be estranged/mad scientists/extremely unstable/very pushy/or all the above. Though sometimes not entirely without reason. I'd imagine that many (if not most) Starfleet officers would choose their carriers rather than families like Picard did. That's how many of today's military officers are, I don't think that would change much on a starship, though in all honesty, there's very good reason to assume it would be worse.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 3
09-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Voyager was ok for parents. Kim's dad i remember was nice, if a bit pushy. chakotay's dad seems ok from his vision quest. seven's dad was good guy (if you brush over that whole take your daughter to the borg thing), b'elanna's dad seemed decent if a little tired of his klingon wife.

paris and his father did not get along although in truth i think that may have been more toms fault. i honestly dont even remember janway's dad.

As for DS9 julian did not get on with father so they did not all have great relations on DS9.

I think it's mostly the TNG crew that had issues.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 4
09-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Don't forget Data and Lal
Career Officer
# 5
09-11-2012, 07:03 AM
What about the Ent-D and that floating space creature it helped deliver after killing it's mother. ^^ It was a dad too.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
What about the Ent-D and that floating space creature it helped deliver after killing it's mother. ^^ It was a dad too.
They'd ditched that thing by the end of the episode and never looked back, which kind of fits the whole "distant and neglectful fathers" thing.

Also, regarding Data and Lal, Data was a terrible father, though not as bad as he was a brother. Not for how he treated his family, but for how quickly and completely he forgot them when they were dead. First time another Soong type android shows up, "Oh, wow, I thought I was the only one. Let's turn him on and give him access to my memories!"
Captain
# 7
09-11-2012, 08:23 AM
The Enterprise actually had 2 kids. That episode right at the end of the run where it gained sentience and grew that thing in the cargo bay.

Honestly, it's most likely just the times they live in. They are career officers, and push to the best. You can't really have family if you do that. Obrien was a good father, but was not high up in the chain of command. Rom seemed a good father by Ferengi standards. Dukat tried. Garak didn't have a good relationship. So even DS9 had it's dysfunctional families.

As for Sisko, he had to be there for his son. He was already First officer on the Saratoga, so he was up the chain of command when he lost Jennifer. We don't know what he was like before that (though it's pretty safe to assume he was always there for Jake). I guess Sisko was the one that goes against my observation.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
Dukat tried.
Thing about Dukat, he had eight kids, but he only put the real effort in with Ziyal, and it was that effort that cost him his other seven children.

He tried to be a good father to Ziyal, and that's noble. But even she felt it was too little too late. He probably would have been better off sending her to DS9 right away with a hug and an apology - he hurt her by bringing her to Cardassia, not just himself and his family. He also derailed his career, and his only way back was to sell out Cardassia to the Dominion.

Basically, his misguided effort to be a good father to one child at the expense of the other seven spiraled out of control into a war spanning three quadrants (and yes, that is a bit sensationalist and silly).
Captain
# 9
09-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I must disagree with you there. Dukat did try with his other children. We simply didn't see them, but he did mention them, for example, the ep where Riker stole the defiant, he said he was meant to be with his son for his birthday taking him the zoo (or something like that, been a while since I saw the ep). So although he was a military person and away, he did try to be a good father to them and there when he could.

Until Ziyal came along and he lost everyone. But you're right about everything else. That's part of why I love Dukat so much.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Empire Veteran
# 10
09-11-2012, 10:50 AM
What's a Food Father?