Lt. Commander
What "problem" do I mean? For the KDF its obvious; lack of content. The devs have been talking about finishing the KDF since launch, but its almost the 3 year mark and that hasnt happened. Cryptic simply doesnt have the resources.

The stance on a Rom faction has always been that they are going to finish the KDF before starting a new faction. However recently comments have drifted towards adding the Romulans as some type of "sub faction" within the Fed and KDF factions. Again, this is due to them not being able to make enough content to support a new faction. And it is absolutely not what people have been asking for.

There is only ONE solution to these problems: the foundry. But we've had the foundry for a while now, so why hasnt it solved the problem already? Because for this solution to actually work, foundry missions have to reward you equally to official content, and currently they dont. There are already plenty of great KDF missions in the foundry; more than enough to make up for the lack of official missions. But without comparable rewards, there is no measurable incentive to play them.

Yes, they are already planning on giving Spotlight missions rewards in October, and that is good. But there are simply not enough spotlight missions to make up for the content disparity between the factions. They have to make rewards work for ALL foundry missions, and they also have to get the foundry missions out of the dark and dusty corner of the mission journal UI they are currently in and shine a light on them. Then and only then will they solve the content problem. And if they actually pull that off, not only will the KDF have plenty of content, but so will future factions, meaning they wont have to neuter them by making them sub-factions of the Fed and KDF. They can be their own independent faction, which is what people actually want them to be.

I havent played NW yet, but from the interviews I've read and seen it sounds like they are making their foundry missions just as visible as the official content. It also sounds like they are scaling rewards based on mission length, meaning no 1-clickers. Honestly, getting this tech into STO should be the devs top priority. Until they do, they are always going to have the content disparity issue on their back and dragging this game down. The game is approaching the 3 year mark. Its time to solve this problem once and for all.

Folks, this is the only solution. Cryptic simply does not have the resources to develop equal amounts of unique content for multiple factions. They cant do it for 2, and they definitely cant do it for 3. And unless this problem is solved very soon, we are going to wind up with a Romulan faction that isnt really a faction at all. If you want the KDF to ever be "finished", and for the Romulans to be their own independent faction, then support this.

Last edited by thetruthurts; 09-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
09-11-2012, 07:33 AM
User-generated content is pretty much standard anywhere on the web. It just makes sense.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Commander
# 3
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
I agree! If the founder authors were allowed to pick even what items might be able to drop in their missions, which would go a long way to solve the content problems for any additional faction.

For example: If a foundry author wanted to create an encounter with the Borg, why can?t the Borg enemy vessels have a chance to drop Data Chips that can then maybe be later used to purchase things in the STF stores?

Or for example, if the mission reward could be even just a small amount of Dilithium, or heck a couple of Fleet marks etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleon22 View Post
I agree! If the founder authors were allowed to pick even what items might be able to drop in their missions, which would go a long way to solve the content problems for any additional faction.

For example: If a foundry author wanted to create an encounter with the Borg, why can?t the Borg enemy vessels have a chance to drop Data Chips that can then maybe be later used to purchase things in the STF stores?

Or for example, if the mission reward could be even just a small amount of Dilithium, or heck a couple of Fleet marks etc.
As much as I hate to say it, the data chips would probably be going a bit too far, and would detract from the reward for STFs. We have to remember that the content disparity problem only exists from 1-49. At endgame, everyone has the same amount of content. Therefore the solution to this problem needs to provide all factions a way to level from start to finish with their own unique story based content that is based around their own faction.

If they simply made it so that all foundry missions awarded xp comparable to the official missions, as well as a piece of gear that scaled to your level, this would give KDF players as well as any future factions the ability to level with their own faction specific content. As far as dilithium goes, the weekly spotlight mission could have bonus rewards that the standard ones do not, such as an amount of dilithium.

Last edited by thetruthurts; 09-11-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Captain
# 5
09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
The trick isn't making all foundry missions give substantial rewards... it's using the Foundry as a method of plucking the best missions to be "remastered" into the main game flow.

Even one foundry mission a fortnight added this way would substantially increase the content available.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
The trick isn't making all foundry missions give substantial rewards... it's using the Foundry as a method of plucking the best missions to be "remastered" into the main game flow.

Even one foundry mission a fortnight added this way would substantially increase the content available.
I disagree. As I said in the OP, its great that they are planning on adding better rewards to the spotlight missions(what you are essentially talking about), but there simply are not enough of them to make up the content disparity between the factions.

Making rewards work for all missions would give people an endless amount of content to experience, and it would also mean you get to do different missions every time you level a new character rather than doing the same ones over and over.

NW has already solved the exploitation problem by scaling rewards based on mission length, meaning no 1-clickers. If there is any concern about people farming the same mission over and over, they can simply put a cooldown on getting rewards from the same mission.
Captain
# 7
09-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:

This.

There's been talk of it for a while, it'd be an epic answer to the content creation issues in the game. There's some fantastic foundry content out there and it can't be that hard to pull it over...can it?
Career Officer
# 8
09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:

if you are thinking like i am the Dev to adopt them make them part of the main story line?

then yes i would play them i dont care for rewards all they can really give is lockboxs and dill other then that best stuff will still come from STF's
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
This.

There's been talk of it for a while, it'd be an epic answer to the content creation issues in the game. There's some fantastic foundry content out there and it can't be that hard to pull it over...can it?
If it werent for the fact that NW has already figured out how to attach rewards to all foundry missions, not just specific ones like our spotlights, then I would probably agree. However since they have done that, it makes no sense to ignore it and only focus on a few missions. There is already a rating system people can search by and only play the highest rated missions if they choose. But people who want to venture out and play missions they have never heard of should be rewarded just as much as someone playing the highest rated mission.
Captain
# 10
09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthurts View Post
I disagree. As I said in the OP, its great that they are planning on adding better rewards to the spotlight missions(what you are essentially talking about), but there simply are not enough of them to make up the content disparity between the factions.

Making rewards work for all missions would give people an endless amount of content to experience, and it would also mean you get to do different missions every time you level a new character rather than doing the same ones over and over.

NW has already solved the exploitation problem by scaling rewards based on mission length, meaning no 1-clickers. If there is any concern about people farming the same mission over and over, they can simply put a cooldown on getting rewards from the same mission.
I just don't agree. Firstly, there are already a tonne of "best of Foundry" lists out there which contain as much or more mission content than is in the game outside of the Foundry.

Mission length is not a reward gating method I can see working. What are you judging it on? Number of interactions, mission steps, enemies killed? Or are you using time to completion as a gauge, in which case how do you deal with "two-click" missions where the player waits half an hour between interactions?

The Foundry has a lot of great missions in it, and a tonne of dross. You can't just treat the dross the same as the quality missions.