Commander
I have a question about Acetom Beam 3. It seems to suffer some stigma. People have told me I'd be better with Auxiliary to Structural 3. While I don't doubt AuxtS is a good ability, is the damage resistance part of Aceton beam not useful? According to the Wiki, it reduces your enemy's energy damage on you by 300 percent! Is that correct, or does it sound better than it actually is? What I was thinking was if I can reduce the damage to my shields, I can keep them up longer, therefore nulifying the need for extra damage resistance for the hull. Is that nieve
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-06-2012, 06:44 PM
That's correct, it reduces an enemy's damage by three times the base weapon amount, but there's more to it than that.

Acetone beam is a front 90 only skill, it only affects one target, does small damage and has a long cool down. If any one of these was changed it'd be more popular. If it just hit targets in a cone you'd see it on a lot of PVP builds. As is it's just not bringing enough to the party.

P.S. Aux2Str3 is a powerful resistance buff and hull heal it's just consistently good where as acetone is awesome while PVE tanking. Edit: Where it's the best taunt button available.
Captain
# 3
09-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razellis View Post
That's correct, it reduces an enemy's damage by three times the base weapon amount, but there's more to it than that.

Acetone beam is a front 90 only skill, it only affects one target, does small damage and has a long cool down. If any one of these was changed it'd be more popular. If it just hit targets in a cone you'd see it on a lot of PVP builds. As is it's just not bringing enough to the party.

P.S. Aux2Str3 is a powerful resistance buff and hull heal it's just consistently good where as acetone is awesome while PVE tanking. Edit: Where it's the best taunt button available.
basically what he/she said.

just want to add, that aceton 1 is in my opinion better...reduces only 50%, but has a very much shorter CD, and sufficent for pve. a (tactical) cube or gate debuffed with this aceton one is already nurfed to the point where its energy weapons deal only minimal dmg.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 09-07-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Captain
# 4
09-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Aceton Beam 3 also stays active for 30 seconds and the cooldown can be reduced with Aux2Battery and a few technicians.

As a cruiser captain, Aceton Beam 3 allows me to solo tank an elite borg tactical cube.
Career Officer
# 5
09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Since it is mathematically impossible to reduce your enemy's damage by over 100%, I would have to say that Wiki is wrong. Unless of course it actually caused your enemy to buff you.

That aside, I use it on one build and it has never seemed to have any real affect of any amount on the enemy's damage, which is the principle reason that I use it. That particular BO slot causes me a lot of problems.
Captain
# 6
09-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
Since it is mathematically impossible to reduce your enemy's damage by over 100%, I would have to say that Wiki is wrong. Unless of course it actually caused your enemy to buff you.

That aside, I use it on one build and it has never seemed to have any real affect of any amount on the enemy's damage, which is the principle reason that I use it. That particular BO slot causes me a lot of problems.
Wiki just replicates the tooltip. It reduces enemy damage by 300% the base weapon damage of each energy weapon they use.

So you take the base (not the effective or total) energy weapon damage of a weapon of that type, before counting modifiers for rarity or anything else, and then multiply by three. That's your penalty.
Captain
# 7
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Might be somewhat worthwhile for PvE, but it's worthless for PvP for reasons stated above.

Actually no, it's worthless for PvE as well. Baring the odd one hit kills attack, most of them projectile attacks in STFs, a cruiser can shield tank pretty much anything. Rather then take Aceton Beam 3, take Directed Energy Modulation 3(extra shield penetration damage), Aux to SIF 3 (hull heal with short cooldown and doesn't share a global cooldown with team abilities) or Extend Shields 3 (specifically for team events).
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 52 Engineer - Eclipse
Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
Career Officer
# 8
09-11-2012, 01:52 AM
I believe HE also clears the debuff, which many people use in PvP so for such a long CD on AB, it's too easy to clear.
Captain
# 9
09-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orondis View Post
Might be somewhat worthwhile for PvE, but it's worthless for PvP for reasons stated above.

Actually no, it's worthless for PvE as well. Baring the odd one hit kills attack, most of them projectile attacks in STFs, a cruiser can shield tank pretty much anything. Rather then take Aceton Beam 3, take Directed Energy Modulation 3(extra shield penetration damage), Aux to SIF 3 (hull heal with short cooldown and doesn't share a global cooldown with team abilities) or Extend Shields 3 (specifically for team events).
yeah, it is a waste to put it in your commander slot...there are way better abilities available for that slot.
Thats why i use aceton beam 1...which has very much shorter cd, it is sufficent to reduce the energy dmg of a gate or cube, and it leaves the commander slot open for better abilities.
the oneshot torpedos seem to be very rare, and torpedos i see incoming i can take out with TBR or point defense console.

when i play pvp, i switch it with extend shields in the ltdcmdr slot, or energy remodulation for single player.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 10
09-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orondis View Post

It does work vs. isometric charge (which Negh'vars and Borg Negh'vars carry) - even then I just tend to deal with the odd one shot rather than slot AB.