Commander
Title says it all.

Given the poor choices of ensign powers cannons and for engineering as a whole I feel it is time for the team skills to come off a shared cooldown.

Ensign engineering powers are a real sorry bunch. 4 emergency power to X, all of which share a 15 second shared cooldown, and Engineering Team which shares a cooldown with the most commonly used skill in the game, rendering it almost unusable.

Cannon users have long complained there is no variety for them at ensign level, forced to use Tactical team in all their ensign slots or waste one if the ship they fly has 3.

On a common sense note given the amount of crew we have on ships why are we only capable of organising 1 team at a time?

I understand that the removal of the shared cooldown from the team abilities would most likely result in an increase in the amount of healing seen in pvp, and that most of the objections to this idea would be from a pvp point of view, however I would like to remind people in general how small a percentage of the player base ever bother with pvp. Its something like 1% of the player base.
Changes shouldn't be disregarded just because they negatively effect 1% of people when they would benefit the other 99%.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-26-2013, 04:56 AM
Using one could always burn some crew making the next one less effective etc etc. Thus making it less desireable to fire them of too quickly and making large crew caps more useful.

Like a 33% reduction for each use before a timer expires.

So say your first uses *% of your crew
Your second if used within say 15 seconds had a 33% reduced effectiveness.
Your 3rd if fired off in the same 15 second window suffers a 66% drop in effectiveness.
And so on.

At least you could still use them all quickly if you had to but you couldn't super tank by just cycling them.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Commander
# 3
01-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Good idea. The 3 Team skills already scale in effectiveness based off of your current crew (check for yourself with ET and ST).

So what you are proposing is as simple as adding a "-30% active crew for 15 seconds" effect to all 3 teams.

I could definitely get behind that as a compromise.

Last edited by seekerkorhil; 01-26-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Good idea. The 3 Team skills already scale in effectiveness based off of your current crew (check for yourself with ET and ST).

So what you are proposing is as simple as adding a "-30% active crew" effect to all 3 teams.

I could definitely get behind that as a compromise.
But only if used too quickly, the x seconds replaces the global cool down to make spamming them less desireable but not un-doable.

So each one is -30% active crew for x seconds and each takes to total percentage of crew into account to determine effectiveness (I don't think tac team currently cares)
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Commander
# 5
01-26-2013, 05:58 AM
I think you might be right about tac team. I know the small damage bonus is effected by your crew % but the primary shield distribution effect isnt. Might not be too hard for them to implement though.

We all know that effect is too powerful anyway.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
I think you might be right about tac team. I know the small damage bonus is effected by your crew % but the primary shield distribution effect isnt. Might not be too hard for them to implement though.

We all know that effect is too powerful anyway.
Vary the speed of the distribution. 100% crew is the current distribution rate, 50% crew is 87.5% distribution rate and at 0% crew and its 75% . Then add in the penalty for early activation and if you trip it last your left with 15% of the shield redristribution speed. So if you had to it would still do somthing but not much.

Last edited by disposeableh3r0; 01-26-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
01-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Well the whole "crew" mechanic has been poorly implemented throughout the game's existence.
Captain
# 8
01-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Teams and Crew...what a cluster...er, what a mess. Where to begin? Where to begin?

Theta. That's a good place to start. Theta kills all your crew. How are you dispatching any teams? They're dead. But then again, if you're crew's all dead...why aren't the BOFFs and even you, the Captain...dead? Yeah, dead crew would be a start, eh?

Team recharge rates. So you've sent these guys and gals all over the ship to fix stuff. They're available again that fast? Sounds more like a case that the Teams should have charges and longer recharge rates. You've got X number of charges, it takes Y amount of time to have them available again.

Team shared/triggered CDs. Grab two friends. Ask one to look up movie times. Ask one to look up restaurants near the theater. How long do you have to wait to ask the second one after asking the first? Heck, get three friends - ask two of them to look up movie times and one to look up restaurants. Get four friends - ask two of them to do movies and two to do restaurants. Um...yeah.

Yep, imho - Teams and Crew are a mess.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
01-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Teams and Crew...what a cluster...er, what a mess. Where to begin? Where to begin?

Theta. That's a good place to start. Theta kills all your crew. How are you dispatching any teams? They're dead. But then again, if you're crew's all dead...why aren't the BOFFs and even you, the Captain...dead? Yeah, dead crew would be a start, eh?

Team recharge rates. So you've sent these guys and gals all over the ship to fix stuff. They're available again that fast? Sounds more like a case that the Teams should have charges and longer recharge rates. You've got X number of charges, it takes Y amount of time to have them available again.

Team shared/triggered CDs. Grab two friends. Ask one to look up movie times. Ask one to look up restaurants near the theater. How long do you have to wait to ask the second one after asking the first? Heck, get three friends - ask two of them to look up movie times and one to look up restaurants. Get four friends - ask two of them to do movies and two to do restaurants. Um...yeah.

Yep, imho - Teams and Crew are a mess.
Well if you look at it from a realistic standard yes, but if you look at it from a resoure standard it makes more sence. I always viewed my crew cound like mana or a health bar, if its there you can spend it if its not you just have to wait for it to regenerate.

Of course the is always the option of turning them all into over time effects that fall more in line with peons being dispached to do things.

Tactical team would repel boarding partys, give a damage boost, and heal/distribute shielding

Science team would heal/replave crew, remove science debuffs, and boost your shield systems and emitters.

Engineering team would provide a heal over time, remove engineering debuffs, and boost structural integrity and damage resistance.

Each would last x seconds (probably no more than 30) and consume x% of crew which would then be returned upon power expiration/removal. The crew consumed could not be replaced by science team. And again reduced effectiveness for the more teams you have out at a time.

If you have no available crew the teams suffer severely reduced effectiveness but can still work, we just assume that the bridge is safe from whatever effects killed everyone and your cmo heals who they can while you activate your emergency holographic crew.

Captain
# 10
01-26-2013, 07:01 AM
might also be enough if all 3 had the shield distribution ability
Go pro or go home