Lt. Commander
# 1 Sub-orbital flight
09-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Several times, Captains have been forced to seek shelter in a nebula, or - in the atmosphere of a planet.
Imagine: Being able to take your ship into an atmosphere of a planet, and have a real cat and mouse fight. Science classes may for example have a more advanced sensor arrays that allows ships to be seen at greater distances than other classes. Or, less power to the sensors may leed to that nasty bloom effect, that makes it even less easy to find your opponent.
Maybe some de-buffs depending on the type of planet you dive into.
What do you think?
Ensign
# 2
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I think it would be cool to have, but that it is pretty low on the list of priorities.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Can't you already do that? Fly in to the upper atmosphere of a planet and the screen shakes and the visuals flare white.
Commander
# 4
09-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but he wants the game to take it one step further by generating the surface of the planet while your ship flies below the stratosphere.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
Republic Veteran
# 5
09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Not many ship fighting on planets went on in Trek..... only time i saw it was the KDF attack in DS9.....and one time on Voyager, and one time in Enterprise. would be cool, but there are many other things i rather them work on then that.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
# 6
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Don't forget Worf's bother Kern taking his ship into the photosphere of a star and Warping out.
Career Officer
# 7
09-17-2012, 09:57 PM
You know, I think it might be plausible to make a faux-atmospheric flight in STO, which is seamless.

First off, you have your normal space map. And as you approach a planet, you get the atmospheric entry effect, but when you are doing so, the planets disappear and the flat terrain of a planetery surface appears. Due to the bluring, you don't see this.

Just need to add atmospheric effects similar to the effects used in fludic space. And the terrain has to be convincing for the duration of the map as if you are flying over the surface.

And ships that are capable of landing on the surface of worlds (Defiant and Nova were remarked to have Landing capability, but never seen. As well as the Intrepid and the BoPs) you have a kind of graphics that have a unique graphic that lowers the landing gear prior to touchdown. Once you land, you have a disembark que and you are on the surface of the planet. And the ship you are flying shows up in the background.

So to me, STO is capable of pulling it off.
Captain
# 8
09-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
You know, I think it might be plausible to make a faux-atmospheric flight in STO, which is seamless.

First off, you have your normal space map. And as you approach a planet, you get the atmospheric entry effect, but when you are doing so, the planets disappear and the flat terrain of a planetery surface appears. Due to the bluring, you don't see this.

Just need to add atmospheric effects similar to the effects used in fludic space. And the terrain has to be convincing for the duration of the map as if you are flying over the surface.

And ships that are capable of landing on the surface of worlds (Defiant and Nova were remarked to have Landing capability, but never seen. As well as the Intrepid and the BoPs) you have a kind of graphics that have a unique graphic that lowers the landing gear prior to touchdown. Once you land, you have a disembark que and you are on the surface of the planet. And the ship you are flying shows up in the background.

So to me, STO is capable of pulling it off.
YOU!!! YOU HAVE BEEN HACKING MY MIND!!! How did you learn how to mind meld!?!? I was talking about this very thing with a friend a few days ago!

Seriously though, ship to ship combat in the upper atmosphere of a Gas Giant, or Shuttle races through canyons (with collisions turned on! ), landing your BoP on an alien world to hunt its various fauna for trophies! How cool would that be?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 9
09-18-2012, 12:48 AM
I have my methods.

And yes, Klingons going to worlds to hunt dangerous animals would be a nice thing. Especially if we could mount our trophies above the Starbase Fireplace.

Now the question, does Cryptic do cool?
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-18-2012, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusashorn View Post
Yeah, but he wants the game to take it one step further by generating the surface of the planet while your ship flies below the stratosphere.
that would be pretty odd considering how off scale the planets are compared to the ships no?