Republic Veteran
The current Skill Training system for BOFFs is tedious at best, and doesn't really offer anything of gameplay value.

None of the unique BOFFs can be trained in Captain usable skills not of your own class, due to the Bind on Pickup not permitting trades between players, neither should players have to risk loosing their valuable BOFFs in insecure player to player trades.
There's also the issue with having to find someone with the skills you desire and willing to train, it's just a bothersome cumbersome system that has no positive values at all.

Either

A) Add the remaining skills to the BOFF vendor on ESD. Open up customization and let players choose how they want their BOFFs to be like.

B) Implement some form of Academy Retraining Program that allows players to send their BOFFs back to the Academy to train a new skill.

Last edited by aexrael; 08-02-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-02-2012, 09:51 AM
I would just like to be able to train my BOffs in the rarer LTC and Commander skills, like A2Sif3 for example. A skill one is hard pressed to find on the KDF side of things but the feds can buy outright on a BOff from the Cstore.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Community Moderator
# 3
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
B) Implement some form of Academy Retraining Program that allows players to send their BOFFs back to the Academy to train a new skill.
This basically already exists. There are BO Trainers that can train any BO with certain skills. But skill retraining selection is limited and by design does not include some of the skills that only Captains can train.

This is where the real problem lies. The only way to train skills that your character does not have the ability to train is to trade them. And that only works for non-unique BO's. Once a unique is bound, you can't trade them and thus you can't train them.

Clearly we need functionality that allows cross-training without requiring a trade.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
The ideal solution would probably be to just allow us to train BOff candidates - that way we could actually trade skills on the exchange, send them by mail, and use them to train up our bound BOffs.
Elegant and nice solution.

Of course that ignores that the system as it is was meant to encourage building social structures, like making friends ingame or starting fleets, by making people have to actually interact with each other.
You could argue though that this isn't really a necessity anymore now that Season 6 introduced starbases and make very big carrots for fleet (attached to very long sticks, but that's another topic).

Or you could do something overly complicated, or too easy, though I'd personally try to avoid that.
Community Moderator
# 5
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flekh View Post
The ideal solution would probably be to just allow us to train BOff candidates - that way we could actually trade skills on the exchange, send them by mail, and use them to train up our bound BOffs.
Elegant and nice solution.

Of course that ignores that the system as it is was meant to encourage building social structures, like making friends ingame or starting fleets, by making people have to actually interact with each other.
You could argue though that this isn't really a necessity anymore now that Season 6 introduced starbases and make very big carrots for fleet (attached to very long sticks, but that's another topic).

Or you could do something overly complicated, or too easy, though I'd personally try to avoid that.
I prefer the notion of player characters meeting face-to-face and permitting cross-training without trading away a BOFF.

If BOFF candidates were trainable, people would just dump them in the Exchange... which doesn't have functionality that allows you to filter on the skills and traits you're looking for. Not much of an improvement.

Personal cross-training functionality would accomplish the social aspect without cluttering up the Exchange more than it is. Ideally it would allow you to "trade" training or EC in exchange for skill training without risking getting ripped off. It would be a lot easier to get what you're looking for than buying candidates off the Exchange.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Rihannsu
# 6
08-02-2012, 12:53 PM
We need a dedicated option available from rt+click options when targeting another players character that would allow for the placement of all BOs, including unique BOs within it that allows for the targeted "trainer" Captain to interact and apply specific trainable skills to it.

This would resolve a number of issues surrounding the trading of BOs for training including having to strip the BO of gear, concerns about the trustworthiness of the trainer captain, etc.

Another option would be to design and institute the ability for Captain characters to create "training courses" and allow the courses to be traded/sold.
Captain
# 7
08-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Bridge Officers should not be receiving ANY training from another player, PERIOD. If a Bridge Officer needs to learn a new skill, he/she should attend the Academy and undergo a specific course for that skill.

We don't need Bridge Officers (or Duty Officers) being traded around as slaves. I thought the game was in the 25th Century, not stuck in the 19th.
Community Moderator
# 8
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Bridge Officers should not be receiving ANY training from another player, PERIOD. If a Bridge Officer needs to learn a new skill, he/she should attend the Academy and undergo a specific course for that skill.

We don't need Bridge Officers (or Duty Officers) being traded around as slaves. I thought the game was in the 25th Century, not stuck in the 19th.
I agree about not trading around BO's for the purpose of training. I disagree that players should never train BO's.

I -would- endorse a plan that allowed players to "Guest Lecture" at an Academy (or other social zone) and thereby train another player's BO in a new skill.

I strongly suspect this kind of functionality is a few years away, if ever. BO training is not going to be very high on Cryptic's wish list, I'm afraid, unless they bundle it in with the Crafting/Kit revamp somehow.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post

So no Captain in StarFleet sends their officers over to another Captain via an officer exchange program to pickup knowledge and experiance? Thats how i view things when i ship one of my officers to a fleetmate for skill training.
I agree that we need an easier method to train bound officers in disiplines other than what your Captain is trained in. Maybe a training officer in the fleet starbases, captain only skills unlocked with Tactical/Science/Engineering starbase xp. But i do like having the options we currently have, being able to send a science bo over to a science captian in my fleet for training is fitting.
Quote:
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found in the code!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
101 bugs found in the code!
Captain
# 10
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
We have a "Duty Officer System", do we not?

Can it not be amended to have BOffs as a "commodity" that can be used for specific assignments, in order to receive specific training? Similar to the "Assign an officer to give a lecture on...." assignments etc.