Starfleet Veteran
I've been playing since the release of F2P, and every time I've encountered a Heavy Plasma Torpedo, (The "High Yield" targetable ones that the Romulans are fond of) I've just braced for impact and redirected my shields.

Just a few minutes ago, I discovered something that I didn't read anything about anywhere.

I was in an NX-01 class ship, just messing around, playing "Shaharian's Swords" and the last ship launched three of those Heavy Plasma torpedoes. I panicked, and pressed "Evasive manuvers" to try to run away from them.

To my surprise, the torpedoes redirected back at the Romulan!!!

I mean, not one of em hit me. It's like when they couldn't turn fast enough to catch me a couple seconds later, they just turned around and went back at the Romulan!

I think for it to work, you need to be close to the ship, so the torpedoes don't just dissipate when they can't hit you. After a bit, they should turn around and head for the Romulan ship.

I don't know if this was a glitch, or intentional, but someone else, try it, and lemme know if you can do it! It would be awesome if I discovered a new way to evade them!

Oh, and sorry if this is old news, and I'm an idiot.
Captain
# 2
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you get out of range of a targetable torpedo or mine, then it loses its lock on you and then finds another target if there are any within range. There is however a bug that allows such torpedoes to lock on to what ought to be friendly ships when they acquire a new target (such as your example of the Romulan torpedoes returning to the ship that launched them).
Career Officer
# 3
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
This is a bug, it happened a while ago and the devs "fixed" it. I would assume something they added to the game in the last few weeks was never put through QA, and it as risen again.

I find it funny, especially when the group of three birds of prey kill themselves before I even fire off a shot
Career Officer
# 4
09-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenzedd View Post
This is a bug, it happened a while ago and the devs "fixed" it. I would assume something they added to the game in the last few weeks was never put through QA, and it as risen again.

I find it funny, especially when the group of three birds of prey kill themselves before I even fire off a shot
Well that happens when you run your ship on tiny black holes: they pull in all the junk that's buzzing around you.
Captain
# 5
09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I liked to think of it as 'Q' being a troll ,

*torpedo fired*
*snaps fingers* torpedo glides gracefully into D'derix's nose
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
This is a bug that was introduced into the game when season 6 launched. It does make fighting Romulans a lot easier.
Career Officer
# 7
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Heavy Plasma Torpdoes have been bugged since Season 6. But it also affects Tricobalts and Player Bio-Neural Warheads.

It annoys me to a great deal that when you're about to hit a ship with it's shields down and then RIGHT before impact, the torpedo stops!

Not sure why this hasn't been fixed. Either they don't know, they are working on it, or it's not a priority.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I noticed this happen a lot to me when I used the Reman Set with the bonus to high-yield plasma torps. I thought it was an extra little bonus that wasn't mentioned in the description.