Career Officer
# 21
09-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Gave up thinking about the STO 'uniforms' ages ago. Seeing toons, both NPC and player, running around in uniforms from every series just seems silly.

And don't even get me started on players running around with armor active, looking like something from Tron...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Career Officer
# 22
09-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I have come to think that in STO there is absolutely no canon whatsoever, no story and no progress. It's just a digital playground for us players to play with all sorts of Star Trek themed "toys".
This reminds me of a post I once read on these forums that STO felt more like going to a Star Trek convention than being in the Star Trek world. I have to agree with that sentiment.
Joined August 2008
Captain
# 23
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
This reminds me of a post I once read on these forums that STO felt more like going to a Star Trek convention than being in the Star Trek world. I have to agree with that sentiment.
That's just the perfect way of describing it And that's what get's me so angry about it as well *sigh*
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Captain
# 24
09-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes it takes away a lot of "seriousness" and immersion, which is very sad when you think about the potential this game has.
Just as every "funny" ship name or character name. Thats why i thought that an Star Trek MMO just doesn't work, since i first heard of STO in 2009 or '08.
I seriously hope that STO will never become canon. Just go to ESD and STO feels like a Star Trek theme park.
On the other hand, when i look at most of cryptics designs i always think that some of their designer may have thought that STO is set in some kind of mirror universe.
I just hate those plastic uniforms and even more those combat armors/kits.
(not to mention almost all of cryptics ship designs, but thats another topic.)

In my opinion the designers of STO did a completely wrong approach when designing things for this game. Instead of just making what they think of what is "cool", they should have tried to continue the TV series and Movies desings/stories more serious.

The "danger" i see in a Star Trek MMO is that many things this game introduces or misinterprets are going to be adopted by many players and official canon.
(a Galaxy Class without any significant firepower for example, or this rediculus stone/paper/scissor ship balance system.)

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
# 25
09-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm with you right there, STO actually feels more like "mirror universe online" with all those fancy weapons and warships, battlecarriers and so on whereas the bulk of the iconic ships are toned down and are really not up to what they should.

Like I posted in a different thread, STO should have taken the risk and set the game in the 25th century, period. Nothing from the other periods except ships and equipment which makes sense to still show up and then tell a unique story, continue Star trek instead of just bing that huge "fanwankery" it is. Then it wouldn't all be about what costume to sell next
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Empire Veteran
# 26
09-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
And don't even get me started on players running around with armor active, looking like something from Tron...
One thing I am glad the KDF missed out on, armour visuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
09-14-2012, 07:02 AM
To me, the best standard uniform for NPCs would be Sierra 1. :p
Captain
# 28
09-14-2012, 07:53 AM
I never got why they had to add armor/Kit visuals at all....
Holographic or energy fields on weapons (phaser wheapons) and Kits... and why do Compression phaser pistols have to look completely different to stun and wide beam pistols (the cobra phasers)?

Sometimes i have to think they never actually have seen a Star Trek episode.

It's small things like that, that make me really angry about cryptic designers, they seem just not to care about Trek. They should have made their own Sci Fi universe instead, if they hate Star Trek so much.

Live long and prosper.

Career Officer
# 29
09-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
I never got why they had to add armor/Kit visuals at all....
Because not everybody has fun the same way. Cryptic gave you the ability to turn off your kit visuals, choose only canon-appearing weapons, and wear canon-appearing uniforms; you can also choose to wear the same uniform as the random NPCs in your ship, for a "uniform" (no pun intended) appearance.

Don't begrudge other people THEIR fun.
Captain
# 30
09-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Because not everybody has fun the same way. Cryptic gave you the ability to turn off your kit visuals, choose only canon-appearing weapons, and wear canon-appearing uniforms; you can also choose to wear the same uniform as the random NPCs in your ship, for a "uniform" (no pun intended) appearance.

Don't begrudge other people THEIR fun.
First:
My question was, how did the devs come up with the idea to create combat armor and those kits in the first place. I have never ever seen in any episode or movie anything like it and they do surely not look like they belong to previous design lines or fit to other Starfleet equipment. (especially some high tier Kits don't look like starfleet equipment at all.)

Second:
If the devs seem to absolutely need to implement something like this, why can't we deactivate them at all, client wise?
(not just ours, but all of them)

Third:
Asking a question doesn't imply that i begrudge anyone about anything, i was just curious, if that is still allowed.
I surely do not want to begrudge other peoples "fun".
About "fun", what about my "fun"? Why do i have to see those hideous combat armors and kits which do apparently have nothing to do with star trek design at all?
I do not want to argue with anyone about that, i just want to say that the designers did care very little (or not at all) about previous trek design.

Live long and prosper.