Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 51
09-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Yea, more STF's. More Ground and Space sets. Maybe one for each enemy? Still love the Borg and still love killing them, but not so bothered about mission completion any more. Need other stuff to do. The Tholian stuff was good, but why didn't they come with their own STF's? They're just a bit too easy. I like the Vault, but I don't seem to have too many friends in that opinion. Tweak it a bit? Undine could come back - both as their old selves (revamp terradome and bring back the other one, also revamped - forget the name) and as assimilated. Iconian STF? Wolf 359 type fleet event similar to the Starbase Defence map for 15-20 players with a mega hard borg cube? Fix the Crystalline entity? There's lots of stuff that could be done to give us a whole lot more to do without too much work. Most of the above is already there. Anyway, just more longish, team based mission stuff with cool rewards.
Captain
# 52
09-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
hate on William Shattner all you want for with out him you may not have this game to play there may have not even been a ST ip to talk about for the real frist episodes did not do as well

and yes i agree with the OP
Shattner was the actor. Roddenberry was the creator. I believe you have the two confused.
All cloaks should be canon.
Career Officer
# 53
09-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing an uber Borg Cube someday in a fleet alert mission.

Just sayin it would be kinda cool to see one HUMONGOUS cube warp in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Schissler/Online Multiplayer Gaming View Post
(In regards to STO Delta Rising): "Where a fun casual game once sat proudly, a horrible grind fest now stands. All this expansion has made me want to do, is log in less."
Survivor of Romulus
# 54
09-14-2012, 02:29 PM
BTW good thread! I'm intrigued by everyones idea of what the borg are, were and supposed to be.
I agree that the Borg we fight and the Borg in story are very different and should be viewed that way. let me explain: The Borg in story have gained considerable ground against the Alpha Quadrant,in story. In gameplay we thwomp the Borg at every turn. So I think thats how how we should view STO, as two completely different games, one as a good story based game about the Federation facing all of its foes at once and another where game where we are super powerful starship captains that can destroy any foe we face individually or with a small group of other super powerful starship captains.
Back on topic about the Borg though, I think the Borg are scary considering all they have done storywise and I think if we wan't to make them even more scary they need to do something equally scary like assimilate a known world like Trill or Bajor or hell even the Klingon Homeworld! In my opinion that would make them scary again oh and a holographic program of Wolf 359 would be fun too just to satiate the two game types.
Q: [quoting Hartley] "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays..."
Career Officer
# 55
09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
Shattner was the actor. Roddenberry was the creator. I believe you have the two confused.
no not really for the frist time he tried to get star trek off the ground it didnt go so well look it up
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Captain
# 56
09-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
no not really for the frist time he tried to get star trek off the ground it didnt go so well look it up
CBS's big complaint wasn't Jeffrey Hunter. The complaint was that the original pilot was too cerebral and needed to be more action orientated. Hunter declined to re-shoot a new pilot and was replaced by Shatner. So really if it wasn't for Hunter declining the re-shoot Shatner might have ended up being a bit-part actor for his entire career.
Captain
# 57
09-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
The dread evaporated when enemy signal contacts stopped chasing down players in sector space and the ability to transwarp directly to a mission system was introduced.
So that wasn't a standard procedure... Damn shame too..
Survivor of Romulus
# 58
09-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
CBS's big complaint wasn't Jeffrey Hunter. The complaint was that the original pilot was too cerebral and needed to be more action orientated. Hunter declined to re-shoot a new pilot and was replaced by Shatner. So really if it wasn't for Hunter declining the re-shoot Shatner might have ended up being a bit-part actor for his entire career.
It was NBC actually. They're the ones who were involved with Star Trek back in the 60s. Also, the 'it's too cerebral' is a bit of a myth. The real reasons why NBC executives were troubled by 'The Cage' was its eroticism (you know what I'm talking about) and Mr Spock looked devilish. Like, literally, they were afraid of the reaction they'd get in America's bible belt.

All of this is from Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, by Herb Solow and Bob Justman (who helped create the show alongside Roddenberry). It's chock full of interesting information, and I heartily recommend it to any Trekkie. For example, another myth that gets around is how 60s sexism axed the character of Number One. Total falsehood - the NBC execs were happy to have a strong, female role, they just objected to Roddenberry, a married man, casting his girlfriend in the role.

Another tidbit - you point out that Jeffrey Hunter declined to return after a second pilot was announced. It was actually his wife who came to the set and matter-of-factly told them that her husband would not be invovled in 'that kind of' show.
Commander
# 59
09-17-2012, 07:13 AM
I would like to see the cubes removed entirely from the game, except as the ending boss of the encounter.

Even then, with 5 people, it shouldn't be enough and the game should run a script to warp in 20-30 random ships to assist against it.

The borg cubes themselves should have the same shields as Donatra, the hull of a tactical cube, and 4 weapons on each facing side (If possible, if not 4 fore and aft). With FAW (constant, only goes away with subnuke to be added again in a few minutes) and Spread attacks being their main damage abilities.

The AP beam it has currently should be buffed to deal serious hull and system (Power level) damage to ships as it cuts it's way through your ship to make you go poof. Heavy plasma torpedoes should be removed in favor of the spreads and much higher amount of weapons.

Wolf 359 showed the loss of 39 out of 40 ships against 1 cube. While most ships that participated in the battle were not warships like the Sovereign or Defiant, that is still quite a few ships to lose to a single enemy.

The Battle of Sector 001, while the Federation was much more prepared still showed the loss of nearly as many ships in the Typhon sector, with only the Defiant and Bozeman surviving. Once at Earth, the cube inflicted just as much damage as it did in the Typhon sector before finally being destroyed.

The Nightmares of Wolf 359, as Q put it once. Changes like this would be a fresh change of pace and would give a true feeling of "Oh wtf did we just get ourselves into".

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.

Last edited by daiouvegeta2; 09-17-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Captain
# 60
09-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
Also, the 'it's too cerebral' is a bit of a myth.
While it might be a "myth" it is what Shatner stated in his autobiography.