Commander
# 1 Advice on eng-Nebula
09-13-2012, 04:20 AM
I always had the problem with choosing a cruiser for me. I flied a free-Odie for some time and a Sovereign because I like it more then Star Cruiser. But none looked "right" for me. Now, as I'm coming closer to admiral rank with my new eng I started to think about final spec and the ship to fly.

I came up with a Nebula-retrofit for my eng-healer and such build. Any suggestions? My biggest problem is that I'm fleetless so no way to train my BOFFs in higher level healing sci abilities.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ld=zarnebeng_0
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
09-13-2012, 04:51 AM
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ld=Mittens02_0

Tractor beam repulsers are found on boffs on the exchange. You will need to find a person who can train science team 3. If you want I can do that.

I currently have the aegis set one it. I fly it with full power into engines and the rest into Aux. I use one beam array for and aft for target subsystems with 4 rapid fire transphasics.

I use 3 projectile officer doffs for the transphasics and 2 purple development lab scientists to spam sci team 3 every 15 seconds. science team 3 is the only one that you will need a sci officer to train. I can train that one for you if you want.

I set this up as a healer/tank for the no win scenario. I am also planning to try a regen build on it soon.

Power levels
W: 39/25
S: 53/25
E: 114/100
A: 84/50

@Rob_mc_1
Captain
# 3
09-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
I always had the problem with choosing a cruiser for me. I flied a free-Odie for some time and a Sovereign because I like it more then Star Cruiser. But none looked "right" for me. Now, as I'm coming closer to admiral rank with my new eng I started to think about final spec and the ship to fly.

I came up with a Nebula-retrofit for my eng-healer and such build. Any suggestions? My biggest problem is that I'm fleetless so no way to train my BOFFs in higher level healing sci abilities.

The Nebula is a little tricky, it's one of the better options in terms of versatility (and to a certain extent, DPS) amongst Federation Science Vessels, but sadly it's become outclassed in nearly every way by the new Tholian Orb Weaver (it still has a lead in weapons power via 2x EPTW1, but this is somewhat balanced by the extra Tactical Console slot on the Tholian ship).

That's not to say you can't make a good ship out of it, but there are better ships for DPS, and better ships for Science Powers. It's probably best flown by a Tactical Captain unless you're looking to turn it into a pure "team support" ship.

For the build - it really depends what you're wanting to do with the ship. If it's a case of "be effective at endgame PvE" then it boils down to being fairly mobile and having a few abilities:

+ Tac Team 1 (to force shield redistribution on you or your target. Good for protecting allies and NPCs alike. It is VITAL to take either 2 copies of this, or 1 copy and a few Conn Officer DOFFs to reduce the recharge)

+ Transfer Shield Strength (A decent Shield Heal over time on you or your target, but more importantly also adds a considerable shield damage reduction buff)

+ Hazard Emitters (A decent Hull Heal over time on you or your target, but more importantly also adds a considerable hull damage reduction buff. Also clears a lot of nasty lingering debuffs such as the Borg procs)

+ Aux to SIF (A decent spike Hull Heal, but more importantly also adds a considerable hull damage reduction buff. Buff uptime is much higher than HE)

+ EPTSx2 (It's important that you keep yourself healed!! Particularly if you're using Tac Team on allies, EPTS will keep your own shields topped up and also buff your shield power setting which raises your shield damage resistance levels)

+ Crowd Control powers (Eject Warp Plasma or the Vent Theta Radiation Console are good at slowing multiple foes. Gravity Well will bunch things up and hold them in place, which can be handy for AoE damage powers. Tyken's Rift will Drain foes' power settings, which is helpful in multiple ways - including engine power to slow/stop them, weapons power to reduce their damage output and shield power to reduce their damage resistance. Another notable option is the often-misused Tractor Beam Repulsors, higher aux increases the repel - decreasing the damage the ability inflicts and and pushing foes away further)

Since the Nebula also has inherent Beam Target Subsystem powers you'll want to include at least one beam weapon in its loadout. Generally speaking, for endgame 2x Quantums/Photons and 1x DBB Fore, with 3x Turrets rear (all Disruptors) is the best arrangement on a Nebula for maximum DPS (combined with 2x EPTW1).

If it was me, I'd try for something like this build as a mixture of Damage and Team Support.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]

Last edited by maelwy5; 09-13-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Commander
# 4
09-13-2012, 06:20 AM
I do not look at PvE, I play it only when waiting for PvP queue to pop up.

It will be pure PvP build, with aim at team heals. Not a DPSer (I'll buy myself new Sovie or Lakota) for that, not tank, not CC - healer. Plain and simple. The sci abilities that are not heals are there because without soneone to train (thanks for proposition robdms) or exchange (forgot about this) I wont have access highest sci abilities.

I never flown sci ship with eng (unless you count free Odie with sci in universal slot) so I would like to know I my ideas of configuring such mix would work
Captain
# 5
09-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:
I do not look at PvE, I play it only when waiting for PvP queue to pop up.

It will be pure PvP build, with aim at team heals. Not a DPSer (I'll buy myself new Sovie or Lakota) for that, not tank, not CC - healer. Plain and simple. The sci abilities that are not heals are there because without soneone to train (thanks for proposition robdms) or exchange (forgot about this) I wont have access highest sci abilities.

I never flown sci ship with eng (unless you count free Odie with sci in universal slot) so I would like to know I my ideas of configuring such mix would work
Fair enough.

When you said you weren't in a Fleet I wasn't sure if this was an "occasional" PVP build

With that in mind then, it's probably best to play to its strengths. The Nebula will be a bit more agile than your average Cruiser. And it can run at 125 Aux fairly easilly for Maximum Healing potential. It can also use both Engineering Team 3 or Science Team 3 for some powerful Spike Healing.

You could run a few DOFFs (Maintenance Engineer or Development Lab Scientist) to reduce the recharge on Eng Team 3 and Sci Team 3. This would probably help your spike healing potential more than anything else.

The Commander Science Power you use will heavilly depend on your playstyle. (I know some swear by PSW3, but TBR3 or FPB3 or even Siphon3/CPB3 could be useful depending on the situation) TBR3 might be the best all-rounder choice.

You shouldn't have a problem getting someone to train a BOFF ability or two for you - Science Team 3 is one of the more common ones, and a lot of Ground-Specced Science Officers should be able to train it. You can even level up a second F2P account to train it yourself if need be.

So revised build something like this then.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]

Last edited by maelwy5; 09-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Captain
# 6
09-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Awesome Sci thread, Scroll down for links to specific builds:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ht=throw+stuff

Decide what you want to do, in a Nebula that's probably healing or cc/healing. Sci powers are in a sad state.

The Nebula can field the Gravity Well + Warp Plasma combo (doff'd to taste), plus subsystems and a TB. VM is also hawt with doffs.

TBR in my opinion should stay at rank 1 unless you're a Tac buffing it for damage using it with 5 Aux. If you're using it for zone denial TBR1 will do you.

I disagree with Maelwy5 on almost every suggestion for the Commander skill, so I'll just leave it at that and let you play with the choice.

Seriously, check that link, it's a wealth of knowledge.

Edit: Saw you say you want to be a pure healer, I guess go straight to this post.

Last edited by redricky; 09-13-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-13-2012, 07:29 AM
IWhat I do is I have about 5 boffs with the same ensign, lt and lt commander. Only the commander ability is different for each. GW and TBR are some of the best choices. VM is pretty good mix with the target subsystems if you want to help disable targets for your team at the same time. If you are trying to save a bit of time for hazard emitters, tts or even extend shields you can try photonic officer 3. it will reduce their cool down to 30 seconds from 45. you can get that ability from the Photonic Science officer.
Banned
# 8
09-13-2012, 07:34 AM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=30

Try this out. There's a couple other nebula setups in that thread.
Captain
# 9
09-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:

Honestly if you are going for heal boat... dump the dependence on weapon power all together. Run full kinetic...

I would load 3 Plasma torps up front... you are not going to have a spread/hy pattern up more then once very 30 seconds.. and plasma torps are far and away the best torp to be using when they are not buffed by patterns. The burn isn't a chance its an always hit with no pattern .... with torp doffs you should be to stack plasma burns on people 8 deep, when there hazards are down. Its also a great way to presure the another teams full shield power style healer... forcing him to heal himself... or even better yet get one of his teammates to cross heal him and burn there own hazards.

In the rear load 2 plasma mines... and one beam, for disables only... DO NOT run weapon power for one beam.

I took off the shockwave... its not the ideal skill for something as slow and bulky as the boobula imo. Go with a VM... its a great way to control...and will score your team more kills then shockwave will... breaking extends is nice... however by the time you get within 3k of the extender to hit them its going to be to late.

I choose skills you can purchase as well... no need to get a trainer... although if you decided you need anything. Just ask in Opvp someone will be nice enough to jump onto your bridge long enough to train whatever you need I'm sure.

I added a second team... an engi team... this is a great clear to have right now with all the VM around.

The key to making this work well will be the doffs. I did dump your RSP which may seem like bad news... but really RSP in PvP isn't really going to save your bacon unless you can really spare it... Anyway.... here is what I would do...

Run 2 Damage Control Doffs. This will mean unless you get insanely unlucky on a cylce you should ALWAYS have Emergency Power to Aux and Emergency Power to Shields up... they will never be down. (if you get a proc on one eptx in your cycle it reduces active cool downs on both copies... so 35% chance x 2 x 2... the math is a bit more involved but basicly it boils down to a 82% chance that you will always have both copies up, if 82% doesn't seem solid enough for you you could add a 3rd damage control doff for a 93% chance. )

Run 1 Purple Systems Engi Doff... Run 1 Blue System Engi Doff... Run one Green System Engi Doff... if the gods smile and the planets align with a few points in Decompiler you might proc all 3 systems offline... which is just to funny to not do to someone. lol

Of course I'm a bit tiered I forgot that you are going to need torp doffs... so forget the VM doffs.... or Run 2 torp doffs + one VM doff... blue one is a good bang for the buck doff.
Play around with it I have found 2 torp doffs to be enough when you have 3 torps... but some people prefer 3... I think with a boobula you will likely be out of arc often enough that a third one would be of little value so I would use that slot for a VM doff.

I played with your spec quite a bit you had lots of points in a few things that are of very little value...
Armour Reiinforcments... almost pointless kinetic dmg resist only way to expensive.
Weapon Performance... you save a ton of points not running a bunch of low dmg beams.
Impulse thrusters... I put points in for you... this will effect your turn rate... you NEED THIS.
Inerital Damp... I reduced your spend a bit... it does help a bit against tractors... but really the biggest reason to not go to deep in this one is it will make you almost immune to the push of TBR... but it will do NOTHING about the dmg... you will run into people that will push you to death pretty easy if you have to many points in this one.
Starship Manuvers... this will increase you base defense rating... YOU NEED THIS.

That's pretty much it... I would suggest 3 piece borg + maco... or perhaps even full borg... with EPTS 3 up 100% of the time and your engi eps if needed you should always have shield power over 100 so the borg regen might not be a bad option either.

Load combos of Neut armours and SIF gens in your engi slots Field gens in your sci.

Set you power levels to something like 25 / 75 / 25 / 75... or something like that... play around with exact settings till you get the best bang for the buck with your to EPTx.

Turn everything on auto... set you targeting to fire through your target... meaning you auto weapons will just fire away at who ever your teammates have targeted when you target them to heal them.... easy peasy.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...=Engiboobula_0

Last edited by husanakx; 09-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Commander
# 10
09-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks Husanak.

I would never thought about buildng a sci ship around torpedos and mines and maxing it for the heal only. Need to try this build. If it fails... well, always can buy respec