Captain
# 1 Donatra's bad wire-day?
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM
I was in a pug elite run today shortly before the server went down. I can't remember exactly, but it was a mute pug with 3 tacs, 1 sci and a eng and we did quite well although failed the optional because everyone stopped attacking the last gate once the timer hit 40 seconds. Anyway, it would have been possible

The point is, when we faced Donatra everything seemed a bit crazy. I don't think we ever got her below 70% but she constantly pop the team with incredible critical one-hit kills, my respawn timer was as high as 70 seconds in the end.

Is there some random variable included which does make her incredible tough or something? I can't remember it was like this ever.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Career Officer
# 2
09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
This game does have an odd chain critting. In other words, you get one crit you get a bunch, but it seems to also work vice versa, in you miss once you will continue to miss or a crit on a heal. Its one of those weird math things the game does. A friend and I were doing a CSE he was guarding the Kang in a D'Kora armed to the nines and all of a sudden he was screaming for help because nothing he shot connected or was doing significant damage where he normally can get 3 lanes and get the probes on a cube cube while we are doing our thing. I flew to assist him in a Defiant and all of my shots started missing (MK XII Borg weapons at the time). In another KASE a friend got critted on a heal and all of a sudden his BoP was at 300% hull or the Borg's plasma fire critted and it was eating my ship at an unholy speed. Point being it happens, it can be a nightmare or a blessing and the devs have stated that they have no idea what causes it or how to fix it.
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Captain
# 3
09-13-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't know what causes it but I do know an easy way fix the issue...

Strip the entire combat system down to a point of fire and it does damage. then you can rebuild the entire system from scratch making sure that you properly test the code at every milestone so say finished bringing weapon power into it as a factor so you test, test and test, then bring in shields and test, test, test, then shield power and test, test, test ... once you have the basic system back up and running you add crits and test some more, when you have this set up without breaking the system you can bring in buffs and test, then debuffs and test and then when everything works you take it for one last lay through to make sure before uploading it

Yes it will take until at least season 7 to upload but it would kill two birds with one stone... you would fix the combat system and find balance issues when it comes to ships and character professions and in order to test it properly they would be forced to fix this as well
Rihannsu
# 4
09-13-2012, 06:09 PM
The best hypothesis I've heard, though unconfirmed, is that the game caches RNG rolls. But sometimes it gets stuck and doesn't cycle through the cached RNG rolls properly and gets stuck on one number.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.