Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 121
# 11
09-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
I have played Bridge Commander for a long time.
There where some great mods out there, some years ago.
(but my disc got broken a long time ago, and i don't really have the money to buy another copy of this game.)
For my taste, that game was much too focussed on combat, i wish there where some kind of free roaming game mode or Exploration mode, where other qualities of your ship where needed.
(something like transport Colonists from A to B, explore some Stellar systems, or some strange anomalies, more activity inside the ship and away team missions.)
When i see most Star Trek games one could think that Star Trek is all about War and destruction.

I wish there was a Star Trek game which is more like a open ended Star Trek simulation. Something like Starflight just more modern and considerably bigger scale.
STO is the closest thing to that, but we all know there are worlds between STO and a Star Trek simulation, lol.


Thanks again everyone for your contributions.


Live long and prosper.

I know exactly what you are looking for. It's not out there.

Why don't you start with writing down in detail what you would like this game to be like? You could make a design and mail the idea to software houses (without any expectations to get anything for it). Who knows, if the idea is solid, you might inspire someone.

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-20-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,741
# 12
09-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydaspes View Post
I know exactly what you are looking for. It's not out there.

Why don't you start with writing down in detail what you would like this game to be like? You could make a design and mail the idea to software houses (without any expectations to get anything for it). Who knows, if the idea is solid, you might inspire someone.
When i have more spare time to do it, i will try.

I am not so sure if such a game would be profitable, most gamers look only for high end graphics and don't care much for the game itself.
On the other hand games like the Sims are sucessful, maybe a space bound game that focusses on exploration, diplomacy, combat and micromanagement might be sucessful as well. Or do you think thats too specific. I cannot say if Sci Fi games are especially popular or not.


Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 121
# 13
09-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
When i have more spare time to do it, i will try.

I am not so sure if such a game would be profitable, most gamers look only for high end graphics and don't care much for the game itself.
On the other hand games like the Sims are sucessful, maybe a space bound game that focusses on exploration, diplomacy, combat and micromanagement might be sucessful as well. Or do you think thats too specific. I cannot say if Sci Fi games are especially popular or not.


Live long and prosper.
It's a good question. Profitability (or at least sustainability) is key of course. But you are right to mention something like the Sims, no-one would have imagined that to become profitable before it did.

I think you could build a business case for such a game around other examples of games that have more of an exploration purpose. And there are plenty. Take something like Skyrim, game of the year. Yes, you can fight. But a lot of people just want to explore that beautiful world, interact with NPC's, get into the lore, build their character. I am also thinking of something like second life. People are just there to enjoy a world, commune, etc. And there are many more. So it doesn't need to be all war and action to attract an audience. But developers do not tend to think outside the box, it's risky.

In the case of Star Trek, there is a good fan base of geeks out there. So it will always attract a certain amount of people. And a Star Trek fan will not tend to have a main interest in war, that was not what the series and films were about. So....there must be something in your idea, I would think. You just have to dig numbers up, make calculated assumptions and work out a rough potential that would hopefully be convincing.

As to sci fi games, there is a good market for those. I think you will find a great number of succesful games in the sci/fi and fantasy section. You just want something more creative than the average.

A new trend is also in the user-developed games, that will become bigger (and STO plays into that with the Foundry, which is regrettably a bit limited at this stage). So you could also concentrate on a good gaming engine with the right mechanics (dedicated more to exploration, interaction, etc.) where the fans can create a lot of content. And can also customize their own enviroment that way. It will be the future of gaming.

You should definitely meditate on it, you never know what you can achieve.

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-20-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,741
# 14
09-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydaspes View Post
It's a good question. Profitability (or at least sustainability) is key of course. But you are right to mention something like the Sims, no-one would have imagined that to become profitable before it did.

I think you could build a business case for such a game around other examples of games that have more of an exploration purpose. And there are plenty. Take something like Skyrim, game of the year. Yes, you can fight. But a lot of people just want to explore that beautiful world, interact with NPC's, get into the lore, build their character. I am also thinking of something like second life. People are just there to enjoy a world, commune, etc. And there are many more. So it doesn't need to be all war and action to attract an audience. But developers do not tend to think outside the box, it's risky.

In the case of Star Trek, there is a good fan base of geeks out there. So it will always attract a certain amount of people. And a Star Trek fan will not tend to have a main interest in war, that was not what the series and films were about. So....there must be something in your idea, I would think. You just have to dig numbers up, make calculated assumptions and work out a rough potential that would hopefully be convincing.

As to sci fi games, there is a good market for those. I think you will find a great number of succesful games in the sci/fi and fantasy section. You just want something more creative than the average.

A new trend is also in the user-developed games, that will become bigger (and STO plays into that with the Foundry, which is regrettably a bit limited at this stage). So you could also concentrate on a good gaming engine with the right mechanics (dedicated more to exploration, interaction, etc.) where the fans can create a lot of content. And can also customize their own enviroment that way. It will be the future of gaming.

You should definitely meditate on it, you never know what you can achieve.
I wouldn't even know how to start. But thanks for your inspiring words.

I have seen one game in the making that could be much closer to what i am looking for than STO. I am not so sure if i am allowed to link it here but looks realy promising. Althrough it looks more like a mobil phone game but it seems to feature mostly everything i am looking for.
I never cared about high end graphics very much. Personally i think general design is much more important than some light reflections or shader efects.


Another promising game is ST: Excalibur, but realisticly i don't think they will release it in the next couple of years.
The problem i see here is that the developers seem to place a high emphasis on high end graphics, which will be not so awesoms in several years.

I think they should focus much more on creating a working game that features a open Star Trek world where you can go everywhere and do everything you want. Creating generators that give you missions on the run.
Instead of slowing themselves down with making one high polygon ship model after another. (fan mods could do that as well.)



Live long and prosper.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.