Career Officer
# 11
09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
2: Do you REALLY, SERIOUSLY, and HONESTLY believe Atari would have run with Cryptic as a Sub-company for 3 years without integrating them well before that? If you say yes, I don't believe you.
OK, yes, it would have happened a year ago, not now. Obviously. But it would still have been largely the same pattern:

1) They put the pieces in place to begin conversion.
2) They ask for volunteers to do so early.
3) They announce that all accounts will begin conversion.
4) They convert all accounts whether they like it or not.

Also, it should have been obvious that integration into a system with many existing games, some of which have been in existence for 7 years, would mean there was a strong probability of name collisions, and that those coming into the system would lose out in that, not people who'd had their names since 2005 in a game that's not changing.

Those who converted early would have had a lot more time to deal with the issues caused by collisions; some might even have avoided those collisions entirely, because they were caused by people who converted first picking their own names and creating the colliding name. I know of at least one person who suspects that someone took her name intentionally to troll her, since she'd publicly expressed an unwillingness to convert. She may be right; she made that expression in a place where many people prone to just that sort of troll could see it.

The conversion to Atari systems was in fact underway when it suddenly was brought to a halt. That was the first clue many of us had that something was up, which turned out to be the PWE acquisition.
Career Officer
# 12
09-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Several points...

1. This was not unexpected, or unannounced. It was even in the game launcher for quite a while, I believe.

2. We got loot if we voluntarily did it before it became mandatory.

3. Your old username was "in use" because it was reserved for you. (Now that you linked to a new account though, you won't be able to get the old one back unless PWE Support will change it for you.)

4. You should never reuse usernames and passwords. Never!

Just off the top of my head, Cryptic (username/password), Valve (forum username/password), Blizzard (username), Sony (everything), and LinkedIn (e-mail/password) had this information stolen before.

When Diablo 3 came out, malicious third parties used user/password lists from forums and fansites (some of which were actually run by the perps) and compromised thousands of accounts.

Never reuse login information!

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 13
09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Just one question: when did this happen? I'm still logging in with my Cryptic account. I haven't been 'forced' to convert yet.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Career Officer
# 14
09-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
Just one question: when did this happen? I'm still logging in with my Cryptic account. I haven't been 'forced' to convert yet.
It's underway. I'm sure they'll get to you soon.
Career Officer
# 15
09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Perfect World is NOT the only company doing this. Hotmail/MSN/LIVE is doing this also CURRENTLY. You have the option to upgrade at the moment on YOUR terms to the new Outlook email. Then when you have upgraded to outlook you may make your outlook.com screen name. After awhile tho everyone will be Shifted to the new outlook.com email tags wether your name gets converted or not is up to you.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Career Officer
# 16
09-15-2012, 10:24 PM
I figured everyone would end up PWE-ized so I converted on the first go-around. Plus... figured early adopter... more name choices available.

I used to never get the handle I wanted (and had been using since the mid-90s) cause it was a bit too common to not have someone already think of it...

One thing I suggest, is to do like I have done. Take your preferred name/handle and convert it to another language. I went with Latin. I usually don't have to worry about someone else having my name somewhere anymore. Only downside is people will sometimes ask me if I'm from/in Greece.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!