Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,350
# 281
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i figured someone would point that out, it was a weak argument unfortunately. but the main point is space pt boats are not going to be as effective as their water counterparts. even if they can carry 3 or 4 full size torps, any energy weapons will be extreamly weak. it all just doesn't translate well from ocean to space at all.
Neither do most things. Realistically, we would see space combat just like that written in Honor Harrington novels. Massive hulks of ships blasting at insane ranges.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,350
# 282
09-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
So you don't think a cruiser should have a equal chance
To beat your escort I'n a 1 on 1 pvp match ? Are you saying you
Don't want a fair fight or give up your current I win button

You didn't read the part about balancing all three ships
Out on test center.if testing were done I'n this manner
The final outcome on the ships stats would be suprising
Indeed

I just want a equal chance to win and pull my weight I'n
Any STF with my ship be it a science ship or engineer ship
Just so you understand, my main ships ARE cruisers, I have no idea where you assumed (and we all know what that does) that I am a solid escort player. I just think the steps asked to take to make a balances here are over the top. I might not beat escorts every time in a 1v1, but I sure put a pounding on them, and I rarely fight 1v1 anyways. Honestly, I actually have better success against escorts than I do cruisers.

If you want balance, this is what I suggest:

A proportional balance between hull strength and turn rate/inertia. The worse it turns the stronger the hull is from damage.

Escorts could use one less weapon (probably in the aft).

And up the damage a smidge on the single cannons to make them more attractive for players to use.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,579
# 283
09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
Galaxy Class and Star Cruisers have the smallest amount of firepower of all engame cruisers in STO.
Even a Ferengi Marauder and a Galor Class got more firepower, the devs must have a strange sense of humor if you ask me.
(...or they never have seen the shows, lol.)

I can understand somehow that they don't like good looking ships but to punish everyone who likes them is just not right IMO.
In my opinion both ships science ensign should become a Lt. Cmdr universal to be on par with the new Assault Cruiser refit (the Regent class).
Additionally they should get a Universal Console slot. I just don't like the idea of such un-versatile Starfleet ships. Especially the Galaxy Class should be much more versatile than it is now IMO.

About the saucer seperation, what is that good for, if that ships doesn't have enough firepower to do noticeable damage?

I absolutely love the Galaxy Class and my heart bleeds when i see what the devs have done with it in this game.


Live long and prosper.
Agreed.

It (MAY) be fair to say that STO has a fair bit of DS9 emphasis. With that it mind it is a pity that the Galaxy class that we have in game is more reminisent of the TNG-era Galaxy class than the DS9 Dominion War era Galaxy class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,350
# 284
09-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Agreed.

It (MAY) be fair to say that STO has a fair bit of DS9 emphasis. With that it mind it is a pity that the Galaxy class that we have in game is more reminisent of the TNG-era Galaxy class than the DS9 Dominion War era Galaxy class.
Well, maybe you can consider the Fleet Galaxy to be the DS9 one, with more hull, use less shield and aux power and go straight to weapons and the extra engineer console could be for more weapons power or something.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 285
09-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
This thread starts to become full of win
It was there as soon as actually put up the stats for a HBA idea and also the flagship Aura/Buff.
And I stand by both of those ideas as a good way to bring balance in for the tier 5 cruisers in general (if you are just joining us, it's back on page 16 or 17 I believe).



Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
Actually, upgraded Zerglings rip a siege tank to bits in seconds XD No need for Hydralisks anymore.
That's not true. What idiot ONLY puts siege tanks? I automatically assumed there were bunkers and turrets and PFs (if it's WoL). Oh, and of course the supply depot wall. So sorry bro, still need dem hydralisks to get in. But if it's at the point where you have kraklings (sue me, I always say it like that... after all usual online SN is Krakmonkey, but they didn't let me use it -.-) then you would probably have switched to ultralisks for the added epicness and insane survivability, in which case you STILL need hydralisks. In fact, I can't think of a time that hydralisks aren't useful. Ever. Unless this is Brood War and they have reavers. Or the siege tank ball. THEN you're boned. But everything else is cool lol.

Edit:
P.S. You can tell we are TRUE nerds because we are making connections between StarCraft and Star Trek Online XD.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,290
# 286
09-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Edit:
P.S. You can tell we are TRUE nerds because we are making connections between StarCraft and Star Trek Online XD.[/color]
It was clear to me the minute I realised I spent more time on these forums to discuss Starfleets uniform policy and ship specifications and how it all sucks in STO as opposed to write something about the actual game XD

But I never played SC on a competative level. The few times I did my swarm of zerglings brought havoc upon my enemies. I'm more of a DoW player, though XD
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,029
# 287
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
It was clear to me the minute I realised I spent more time on these forums to discuss Starfleets uniform policy and ship specifications and how it all sucks in STO as opposed to write something about the actual game XD

But I never played SC on a competative level. The few times I did my swarm of zerglings brought havoc upon my enemies. I'm more of a DoW player, though XD
You're still right, 7 or 8 zerglings will defeat a single tank every time, seven or eight marines will kill a single broodlord every time, 7 or 8 zealots will kill an ultralisk every time. Swarming is a legitimate strategy. What the other guy said was true too, there are always encampments, and varied unit structures.
The interesting thing is that in SC you will always see marines zealots and lings in the end game because they are so versatile and cheap. This is the reason that I think justifies their existence in Star trek. Yes they will likely get one beamed in battle, buts thats a beam thats not hitting a vessel, and time/focus/energy being taken away from a tactical officer. The ships already have the space for them because of other duties, and the civilian sector is already making them for whatever reasons, so why not add that extra little advantage. Its really one of those cold commander in chief style decisions

But thats in a game absolutely dedicated to balance, I always hope theres some pro gaming fans in cryptic to help work out this mess.

That's not true. What idiot ONLY puts siege tanks? I automatically assumed there were bunkers and turrets and PFs (if it's WoL). Oh, and of course the supply depot wall. So sorry bro, still need dem hydralisks to get in. But if it's at the point where you have kraklings (sue me, I always say it like that... after all usual online SN is Krakmonkey, but they didn't let me use it -.-) then you would probably have switched to ultralisks for the added epicness and insane survivability, in which case you STILL need hydralisks. In fact, I can't think of a time that hydralisks aren't useful. Ever.
[/quote]

Actually Hydrolisks were considered the worst unit for zerg in the pro scene for a long time. They were only ever used for base defense vs. air and a timing attack against protoss gateway play. This is the reason they are adding a speed upgrade to hydras in the upcoming HOTS expansion in an effort to make them viable again, the unit used for the situations you describe was usually the roach or an infestor. Ultralisks were also considered pretty worthless, they are getting a burrow charge ability in HOTS to help prevent kiting.

Last edited by cidstorm; 09-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 288
09-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidstorm View Post
Actually Hydrolisks were considered the worst unit for zerg in the pro scene for a long time. They were only ever used for base defense vs. air and a timing attack against protoss gateway play. This is the reason they are adding a speed upgrade to hydras in the upcoming HOTS expansion in an effort to make them viable again, the unit used for the situations you describe was usually the roach or an infestor. Ultralisks were also considered pretty worthless, they are getting a burrow charge ability in HOTS to help prevent kiting.
Wings of Liberty Hydralisks were terrible. I agree. Slow, squishy, TIER 2 and cost 2 supply. And expensive. Not a good unit.

BROOD WAR Hydralisks on the other hand... Fast, still squishy, TIER 1 RANGED, 1 supply, and CHEAP. They were great support/assault units. You combine them with zerglings and you just cannot stop that easily early game. Lings were the cheap meatwall that you threw at the enemy defenses to gain aggro, then you took them out with Hydralisks. Cannons were boned, Bunkers got wasted, and even other zerg hives weren't really able to hold off that combo easily.

But alas, Wings of Liberty... took away the move speed (crucial in the high speed high adrenaline gameplay I see there), took away the lower tier (again crucial in WoL online play), and took away their cheapness in supply. That was the real hit. Combine that with the increased resource cost, and hydralisks were no longer the primary zerg ground combat unit. It hurt to see them derped in that way, and tbh, I will take a brood war hydralisk any day over this Roach business.

As for ultralisks, yes, they took away the nightmares of brood war and replaced them with these slow things that they expect us to keep calling ultras. Brood War ultralisk may not have had AoE blade attacks, but they had HIGH movement speed (faster than upgraded zealots) and THICK armor (which thankfully they were allowed to keep). But it was close to impossible for many ground units to kite the Brood War ultralisk, and combine a dozen of them with Hydralisks and Guardians, and whatever it was you were attacking was pretty much screwed.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,825
# 289
09-28-2012, 07:19 PM
So, still no response from a dev?

I mean, come on guys, just make the Galaxys Eng. ensing and its Sci. Lt. into a ensign and Lt. unversal. I'm already on a point where i would be glad about this, even without a third tac. console. (althrough it would be nice, too)
If Starfleet Escorts can get a +1 Maneuverability, the Galaxy can get a slight BOFF buff.
Devs? hello?

Hello...


-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 290
09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
The irony is a dev is responding almost regularly in a PvP thread about... wait for it... Cruisers. XD

Edit: It's more a discussion on the new DOff and how they affect cruiser gameplay.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=401171

But that still doesn't address many issues brought up here.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.

Last edited by hereticknight085; 09-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:58 PM.