Career Officer
# 11
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Reach markers in space encompass gthe entire area (X,Y and Z axis in space). The tricks to using them effectively in space (so they don't havbe a trrigger issue) is to:

1) Make them large enough to encompass the etirire area of a space map where you wangt to place one or more.

2) Make sure you do not have a spawn point already inside of one - as it will never trigger in that case.

IMO reachmarkers are useful in space if you want to give players a choice of either fighting or avoiding enemy ships (had no complauints on that part on my mission that does this; and a few complinments). they are also good if you want to have a 'surprise' encounter or objective you don't want to player to see when they first enter a space map.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Empire Veteran
# 12
09-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
IMO reachmarkers are useful in space if you want to give players a choice of either fighting or avoiding enemy ships
You do know that an invisible object can offer the same opportunities but is safer to use?
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
09-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
You do know that an invisible object can offer the same opportunities but is safer to use?
Indeed. Especially if you choose the largest Inv object asset. For space, I would recommend the size of the Inv obj be scaled by how far away the previous objective was on the map.

If the objective is very far away, choosing a larger obj makes the trigger for the next objective that much more certain to pop up despite random variations the player ships may deviate from on elevation.
Captain
# 14
09-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I agree, plus it just seems more player-friendly to me that pressing V shows them where to go, rather than making the player stop and press M and then try to figure out "ok, there I am, and there is the circle, which way am I pointing ship v. camera and which direction turns my ship... errrr"

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-14-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
09-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Yes, I use Invisible object all the time as well, but I find the term 'safer' misleading as, as ;long as you use reach markers corretly and test whgat you do, there's zero issues. Also with an object, they need to go to a spefic area, and interact to trigger what the object is tied to. With a reach marker, they can be anywjhere in the map, and the dialogue, or whatever else will just trigger.

Given all the other crazy tigger mechanics many have come up with (which in my experience have often failed or caused a break in whatever immersion the author is attempting), I'm surprised to see so much aversion to a tool, which when set up and tested properly, can work well.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 16
09-14-2012, 09:03 PM
nvm

/10chars

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-14-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I appreciate your rant and what you are trying to say, but you need to understand that as foundery authours we get almost -0- reward for our creations. My missions have won awards, been highlighted, etc., so i know they are good. I also know that each one of them would fail your demanding criteria.

In the end, I make my episodes for me, and I do not care what people think of them. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that people enjoy them, but they are based 100% on my personal vision of Startrek. They aren't McTrek Missions, and so they won't appeal to everybody. Thank you for your opinion, but rather than tell us why you will drop a mission, why not create some of your own? In your own style?

I will play them.
HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png

CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
Captain
# 18
09-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Continues to derail thread:

Reach markers are perfectly viable in space as a sudden trigger for a dialog or mission objective (no need to interact with anything) so long as you give them a focus target. May it be a planet, a friendly/enemy ship or contact, overly large asteroid; something that gives the player a visual clue to the high, as well as the X and Y. Nav beacon points help, but aren't foolproof either.

As someone mentioned; the only real thing to keep in mind is that if the reach marker spawns with the player inside it already, it will not trigger until they leave the area then return to it. If you keep that in mind, it can be just as useful as anything else in our kits.

While true you may just want a reach marker for an open location of space, unless you force the players into the right direction, it's dangerous to rely on. It's also a handy trick to place an intractable object inside (tied to some simple text or unneeded prop vis toggle, so long as the radius of the reach marker is greater that 7km they'll never reach it anyways) that appears when the objective does, but disappears when it is reached. This gives player a target if they scan the area to try to find out what to do and where to go.

Moral of the story, you can still use reach icons if you give the player an obvious visual target and don't spawn it over-top of them as an advancing objective.
Commander
# 19
09-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I appreciate that my missions can not please everybody and I'm sorry that the way I choose to make my missions is not to your personal taste to the point where you feel the need to personally call me out over it, but I have absolutely no intention of compromising my stories because one person does not like the amount of talking and dialogue in the mission. I'm not a professional writer or anything, I'm just some random guy making missions for fun, so I wont get it perfect every time but those NPC's are there for a reason.

At the end of the day I am telling a story and these characters are not there to just get you to the next part as fast as possible. They are part of the interactive experience of the mission. I want them there.

I'm sure I could condense the talking down to a fraction of what I use but I don't want to. That damages the story that I am trying to tell. I certainly don't want people to get bored or turned off by needless talking that waffles on but if I feel the missions requires it then I will add them.

If this is not to your taste then that's fine, as I said I don't expect it to appeal to everybody but in future I would advise just skipping my missions because this is not something I plan on changing.
CaptainRevo I do really appreciatte the time you take to make really good missions, and I actually like the dialogues, I am simply suggesting reducing the number of actual NPCs that are needed to talk to. I like the dialogue itself it's having to talk to a dozen different NPCs that bugs. That said though, I did not mean to call you out in a negative way, more just to poke a little because you do make good missions.
Commander
# 20
09-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd View Post
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I appreciate your rant and what you are trying to say, but you need to understand that as foundery authours we get almost -0- reward for our creations. My missions have won awards, been highlighted, etc., so i know they are good. I also know that each one of them would fail your demanding criteria.

In the end, I make my episodes for me, and I do not care what people think of them. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that people enjoy them, but they are based 100% on my personal vision of Startrek. They aren't McTrek Missions, and so they won't appeal to everybody. Thank you for your opinion, but rather than tell us why you will drop a mission, why not create some of your own? In your own style?

I will play them.
I do make foundry missions, but I make a point of playing them over and ever looking for these little bugs and hopefully eliminating them all.

What I am referring to is cases where it's clear that the author didn't play test the mission, because you can't get to an objective no matter what you do, or the spawn point is in a terrible spot that should have been clear with a simple play test.

In no way would I want to downplay the hard work and effort that goes into a foundry mission.

FYI, I wrote this rant after my third straight hour of trying to play foundry missions and having to drop then when they reached a point of unplayability due to these errors, most of which seem to be the result of over adding features and decoration that get in the way of the function of the game.