Career Officer
Now this is the first time this has happened to us, but when you're doing your tier upgrades for Military etc... the only normal projects you can select are the Basic Provisioning assignments that cost dilithium to complete. I have a small fleet, maybe 6-8 active people, 15-20 total, we don't exactly have dilithium flowing out our ears, and would prefer not to waste it on such an project especially when the project is accidentally selected or just done out of habit for queuing the next project.

Can we please get the ability to delete a project even if it's the 'active' one if it meets certain criteria, like if it's less than 20% completed for like 3 days or something?

RADM Pullman
Task Force 575

Last edited by lordtrekkie; 09-14-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Messed up the title
Captain
# 2
09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
That would be too open to abuse, as well as logistic problems with returning resources. You already get a warning when you select a project the you can't undo the selection after.

To elaborate my first line:
If you cancel a project, the game doesn't track who each contribution came from and can't return them. (And even if it did track it, what if the character got deleted or was kicked out of the fleet?)

And more importantly, abuse. Here's a simple example:
  1. Start project
  2. Contribute all the Expertise Points for it.
  3. Cancel project.
  4. Repeat and profit

And people wouldn't even care if they didn't get their points back for doing that. I know I have millions of spare expertise points I don't care about, but could certainly use the fleet credits.

In short, it sucks that you got a project active that you don't want to do, but be more careful in the future, and if it's an issue, restrict who can set the projects. I know for my fleet, only I set the projects, and I'm very careful about the ones I pick, since we're also a very small fleet and can't afford a lot of the high dilithium ones.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----

Last edited by tangolight; 09-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
09-14-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't think that the resources should be returned, and I meant to say that. Because for us right now, we have 480 dilithium stuck in a project that we don't want to complete. That's it, just that 480 dilithium. No one's gonna complain about missing that, but it does impede our ability to progress.

While yes I agree that it would be open for abuse, that's also why I suggested those prerequisites, heck, make it a week at less than 20% completion for all it matters to me, I just think there needs to be some sort of system in place to allow for project deletion, no matter what hoops have to be leapt through to get it deleted.
Career Officer
# 4
09-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Easy fix:

Conditions for deleting a project:

* No refunds.
* Player has project management permissions.
* Project has been up (and has not started) for 7 days.

Kills every concern of abuse except for the griefing potential (cancelling heavily stocked unstarted projects on the way out), but let that be like bank privileges: Don't give this power to people you can't trust to take their Ritalin on schedule.

Alternatively, that's where you can use your maximum filled-in percentage thing, but you know, some times people might want to cancel a project that's further along. Maybe use 7 (or X) days as a baseline, and add 2 (or Y) days for every 10% a project is stocked for. At 70%, that'd be three (or Z) weeks. If you didn't want that to get deleted, maybe you shouldn't have been such a slowpoke about it.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 09-14-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-14-2012, 09:10 PM
What about a Suspend Project function instead of outright deletion? So the selected project gets moved to a hold area (freeing up the project slot) and has it's requirements increased by 10% or something like that (cost overruns, rescheduling fees, etc). Have it set up so it auto-resumes after X number of other projects gets completed so it's not sitting in limbo forever. Besides, starbases will need to reprovision at some point, and this way you don't lose any invested resources.
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Empire Veteran
# 6
09-15-2012, 08:02 AM
It will open the way to easy cheats: open project, send some expertise, delete project, select project, donate expertise, etc. That's the infinite fleetcredits generator for cheap commodities. Your only hope is a brain for your fleet leaders because cancel project won't happen. No way we can get this.
Career Officer
# 7
09-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar01 View Post
What about a Suspend Project function instead of outright deletion? <snip> ... his way you don't lose any invested resources.
Project suspension Cryptic simply won't do. It goes entirely contrary to their newly imported company policies to convenience you in any way that doesn't directly or indirectly benefit their bottom line. Frankly, the way the system is set up, where you just have to power through bad decisions is part of that. It doesn't hurt them in the slightest, if you have to sink more dilithium into a project you don't feel is worth it to free up the slot.

Or so they think. There is of course the possibility that people will just take the loss of the project slot, leave it sitting there for months on end, blocking any other projects from being slotted in there that would have gotten completed. Potentially totalling a larger number of resources than project lost cause. And it's that fact that means there's at least a chance Cryptic'd willing to let you flush your resources and progress down the spacetoilet, as it keeps the dilithium flowing out of the game and you know, any project you stock halfway and cancel, you might still pick up at a later date and complete, meaning it'll have removed 1.5 times its own value.

But letting you move a project to limbo just doesn't do anything for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It will open the way to easy cheats: open project, send some expertise, delete project, select project, donate expertise, etc. That's the infinite fleetcredits generator for cheap commodities. Your only hope is a brain for your fleet leaders because cancel project won't happen. No way we can get this.
Glad to see you read the entire thread. All 0.5 pages of it.

* Start project.
* Deposit 20,000 expertise.
* Rake in a cool... what, 800 fleet credits? (I don't quite remember the exact exchange rate.)
* Wait seven days to cancel the project.
* Rinse and repeat.

Oh dear god tell me it isn't so, these damnable cheaters will be able to collect enough fleet credits for a 200K fleet ship in only... wait a minute... I got this... carry the eight... 84 weeks if they use all available project slots for this brilliant scheme! Maybe as little as one year if somehow they use the special project slots too. How utterly nefarious!

So, in less condescending short: It's already been thought of. Any minimum uptime for the projects, whether it's a day or a week, will render abuse... Well, I won't say impossible. However I would call it impractical and inconsequential, to the point of being a tremendous waste of time.
Reave
Empire Veteran
# 8
09-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Ooo so you suddenly get a lot of Fleet Creds... I have to ask... So? There is not a lot you can buy with them that does not also cost Dilithium which is the only thing that PWE cares about in the equation.
Empire Veteran
# 9
09-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Just as we can skip episodes in mission chains, how many would op to skip, and never again consider projects such as the star base bartender?

Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 10
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
It will open the way to easy cheats: open project, send some expertise, delete project, select project, donate expertise, etc. That's the infinite fleetcredits generator for cheap commodities.
Or they could simply remove expertise from the starbases while they're at it. It's both negligible for removing expertise from the game (pretty much every VA has enough expertise to carry a starbase up to Tier 5) and for earning fleet credits.

It's currently the only starbase currency which doesn't hurt when you're losing it.