Career Officer
# 111
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post
fleet adds are not spam if they are not "spammed" if fleet a posts an add say once an hour, that is not spam. however, when fleet b posts every 30 seconds, that is spam.
Actually, unsolicited mass advertising through an electronic medium is spam.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Career Officer
# 112
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Exactly the reason why my fleet dosen't spam zone chat with recruitment messages... I don't like my fleet members to be silenced.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 113
10-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post
honestly, half the stuff i see in chat is far worse than a fleet add. i think its more of a how dare he interrupt my spam with his own spam mentality.

fleet adds are not spam if they are not "spammed" if fleet a posts an add say once an hour, that is not spam. however, when fleet b posts every 30 seconds, that is spam.

just because someone doesnt like something doesnt mean its spam or reportable.

what next, someone who doesnt like stf's is gonna target people for trying to get a team together...

this is why i am in a fleet, i dont have to worry about all the little hooligans in zone chat..(and also why i have a recruiter lol..)
Seriously - I'd never actually be playing the game if I spent all of my in-game time reporting the garbage that frequents the in-game chat. There is rarely anything worth seeing in it anyway (Fleet and Team chat exluded).

Crap (and VERY old) Gorn jokes, "my country is better than your country" arguments, player A calling player B a troll and players expressing their sexual frustration in various, often bizarre ways. Rubbish.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 114 Silenced
10-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Why did I get silenced? I barely said a word for the last hour. [System] You have been silenced. You may chat again in 0 hours, 11 minutes, and 30 seconds.

it just happened all the sudden.
Republic Veteran
I've been in STO and CO since both were in closed beta. I've only ever used chat to try to help people. Just now I was chat banned for answering a question someone asked in zone chat. The question was "how do I get the maco armor uniform?" All I said was "you need to get all three pieces of Mk XII MACO gear from doing the ground STFs on elite. Cure gives the gun, Infected gives the shield, and Khitomer gives the armor." It was the only thing I said the entire time and I immediately got "you have been chat banned, you may chat again in 24 hours"

I think this was caused, not by someone using report spam, but by several people simply adding me to ignore. That actually works too because the system responds to the ignores, not the reports.

Now I can't chat in fleet, team, or respond to tells. This is a major problem as I am often called upon by friends and team mates to help them with missions, STFs, and even leveling up due to the +5% exp bonus I provide to all team members when in a group.

It's been asked over and over and over and over and over. It's been driven into the ground and the abuse of the system has still NOT been fixed. I've seen enough of these exact types of threads to know that if I file a ticket, absolutely nothing will come of it. This fact alone is honestly annoying enough that I'm going to refrain from spending the $250 on master keys I intended to spend next month.

Congratulations Cryptic, your system was abused to silence not only a helpful member of the community, but one of the game's whales. (for those who don't know whale is is game industry speak for someone who spends far more than the average person on a game).

Last edited by zenzenarimasen; 10-20-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 116
10-20-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzenarimasen View Post
(snip)

Congratulations Cryptic, your system was abused to silence not only a helpful member of the community, but one of the game's whales. (for those who don't know whale is is game industry speak for someone who spends far more than the average person on a game).
See in in my head I pictured dan on the bow of that enterprise row boat JamJamz made yelling THAR SHE BLOWS!
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Republic Veteran
# 117
10-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
See in in my head I pictured dan on the bow of that enterprise row boat JamJamz made yelling THAR SHE BLOWS!
Ordinarily, I'd laugh, but I'm not in a laughing mood right now. Also, that post is technically spam since it doesn't contribute. However, I'm not in the mood to care. This false positive chat ban crap has got to stop. And no my in-game name is not zenzenarimasen. I have over a thousand posts, mostly helpful, on the old forums. Unfortunately you can't search for them under my actual in-game name, the one i originally posted them as, because they're all posted by "archived post" now.
Lieutenant
# 118
10-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Lulz... I've had the same thing happen to me and I know you and I are not the only ones this has happened too.. It's caused me to seriously consider going on a trolling spree and straight up ruining STFs and anything else i can think of effing up for other players.. A player controlled Anti-spam system is pure trash and no other MMO in there right minds does it or would do it. It's either 1. they have live chat moderators holding the ban hammers or 2. its left up to the chat system itself to stop spammers by limiting how many consecutive messages someone can post in a given amount of time.

We all have the option to Ignore someone in chat.. THAT in and of itself should completely alleviate the need for any form of chat ban. Chat banning just isn't needed when I can make someone shut up from my point of view.
Republic Veteran
# 119
10-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyuberdude View Post
Lulz... I've had the same thing happen to me and I know you and I are not the only ones this has happened too.. It's caused me to seriously consider going on a trolling spree and straight up ruining STFs and anything else i can think of effing up for other players.. A player controlled Anti-spam system is pure trash and no other MMO in there right minds does it or would do it. It's either 1. they have live chat moderators holding the ban hammers or 2. its left up to the chat system itself to stop spammers by limiting how many consecutive messages someone can post in a given amount of time.

We all have the option to Ignore someone in chat.. THAT in and of itself should completely alleviate the need for any form of chat ban. Chat banning just isn't needed when I can make someone shut up from my point of view.
I wouldn't ruin STFs over this. That's harming innocents that aren't responsible. Though I'm sure that's why you said "consider" rather than "actually did."

As for ignoring someone in chat, that's actually what it works on. The report spam adds people to ignore, and it's the ignore that the chat ban system looks for, not the report spam. Try it, make a trash account to test it on. Get an entire fleet to add them to ignore them after saying one thing in local chat. No report spam, just ignore. The trash account will end up being chat banned despite report spam not being used on it.

This is the exact reason why I have an empty ignore list. I have never seen anyone say anything I would think they deserve to be chatbanned for 24 hours for. If I don't like what they're saying, I simply turn off the channel they're saying it on. I also keep a separate tab dedicated to zone chat so I don't have to have the zone static on the tab for tells, fleet, team, and private channels. Of course the zone tab has all of those as well so I don't end up ignoring friends when paying attention to zone.

Last edited by zenzenarimasen; 10-20-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 120
10-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzenarimasen View Post
Ordinarily, I'd laugh, but I'm not in a laughing mood right now. Also, that post is technically spam since it doesn't contribute. However, I'm not in the mood to care. This false positive chat ban crap has got to stop. And no my in-game name is not zenzenarimasen. I have over a thousand posts, mostly helpful, on the old forums. Unfortunately you can't search for them under my actual in-game name, the one i originally posted them as, because they're all posted by "archived post" now.
Was just trying to lighten the mood. It aparently is an issue but there are work arounds that are impervious to douchebagery. External chat clients are usualy the best way to go anyway since you have full controll over who can use it.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln