Community Moderator
# 221
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
two of which was after only making one comment, one time just after signing into the game.
Well, that's a pattern, isn't it? You didn't log on and find you were silenced right away... it was only after you commented. And it happened relatively quickly afterward.

How soon after you made the comment were you silenced? Do you remember what you said, more or less?

Unless somebody is randomly reporting people for kicks (which could be the case I admit) it suggests that maybe someone, or a group of people, is keeping an eye out for you, in particular. If it was completely random, why you three times? The odds would be against that, I would expect.

Regardless of whether you were specifically targeted, if this works the way people are saying it works, abuse of the silencing feature has to be both intentional and organized. No way does a group of people independently and simultaneously decide to report the same person for no reason.

Granted, we don't know how many people, or how long in between, or anything.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 12-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 222
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Well, that's a pattern, isn't it? You didn't log on and find you were silenced right away... it was only after you commented. And it happened relatively quickly afterward.

How soon after you made the comment were you silenced? Do you remember what you said, more or less?

Unless somebody is randomly reporting people for kicks (which could be the case I admit) it suggests that maybe someone, or a group of people, is keeping an eye out for you, in particular. If it was completely random, why you three times? The odds would be against that, I would expect.

Regardless of whether you were specifically targeted, if this works the way people are saying it works, abuse of the silencing feature has to be both intentional and organized. No way does a group of people independently and simultaneously decide to report the same person for no reason.

Granted, we don't know how many people, or how long in between, or anything.
Umm before I made a comment I hadn't said anything outside fleet chat in days, and the different times I've been silenced are too far apart to brand it as a grudge. You'd be surprised how unethical humans are, and how well they will organize, they don't necessarily even have to be friends, they could just be following a pattern of bad behavior. See something you don't like, and try to get them silenced.

But I will note that Trolls really don't like me, because they can't succeed in pushing me around? But I very rarely engage any of them in chat lol.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |

Last edited by mewi; 12-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Captain
# 223
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
And here I am again. 3rd time in 3yrs that people have abused the silence thing while I'm in chat.

There are people making objectionable comments about religion, politics, and anti-Americanism

And then I get people sending me PMs about how I need to shut up about my opinion then hit ignore when I try and say anything in contrast to those hateful remarks.

Now I get silenced. I wasn't spamming and I'm no where near as rude as many of the pseudo elitists who are actually breaking your TOU by putting people down just to bring themselves up.

Unblock my chat and CHANGE THIS NOW.

And while you're at it, remove that false warning about drugs and illegal activities was tacked on me. I've written 2 Cryptic staff about this before and still NOTHING has been done about it. The e-mails are still in my in-box for refernce plus I have copies. It's a false accusation and defamation of character.

FIX IT

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.

Last edited by bluegeek; 12-17-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Ensign
# 224 Silenced
12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I know players can be silenced for being verbally abusive or racist in zone chat but is there any other reason for it?

This evening I disconnected from the server whilst in the middle of a trade with another player in Q's Winter Wonderland (was swapping bells for beads). I logged back on and was given a 24 Hr Silence from the second I logged back on....Now last time I checked trading with other players was allowed and didn't result in a 24hr chat ban!!

There is no point in sending a ticket to GM because by the time the support team get round to answering my question the 24 hr ban will of been lifted and it'll be the New year

Just wondering if similar has happened to others??
Starfleet Veteran
# 225
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
The person you were trading with probably thought you were skipping out of the deal or trying to scam him so to be a horse's rear he reported you. Or maybe its a bug.
"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
Survivor of Romulus
# 226
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
or a bunch of people got fed up with you trading in public chat and ignored you
Ensign
# 227
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
So can several ignores trigger a ban?
Survivor of Romulus
# 228
12-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Yep thats how bans work
Community Moderator
# 229 Thread Merge
12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Another thread on this topic has been merged into the older, still active thread on the silencing system.

I have no special authority in-game, but let me say this:

No one should ever be reported for spam or abuse merely because they are posting something you don't like. I don't care whether they are recruiting for a fleet, or posting items for trade, or role-playing, or anything else that's not prohibited by the game's Terms of Use. Maybe the post doesn't belong in Zone chat and ought to be in another channel -- that's still no good reason to do that.

You may freely ignore anybody you want to. You can use slash commands (/ignore <name>) or right click on their name in chat and select ignore from the drop down. You do not need to report them as spammers. Save that for the real spammers trying to con people out of their money.

On the other hand, please be considerate of others and don't use Zone chat for extended private conversations, or posting the same thing over and over. All those unnecessary posts make Zone chat practically unusable, scrolling posts up faster than you can follow them. Create a new public or private channel and use that, instead. Avoiding Zone chat when you can will also make it less likely that you will be abused.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Empire Veteran
# 230 thx
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
just awsome to get banned from chat for this

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3125/9agwogvr_jpg.htm