Starfleet Veteran
# 271
01-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Although Cryptic has made it clear that they agree with you in regards to the function of the "Report Spam" button, I would remind you of the definition of Spamming in the Community Rules and Guidelines for all Perfect World games:

It all certainly meets that definition.
The only thing I see in that list is posting "off topic" content ( and I am skim reading here ), and since zone chat has no rules on what is to be a topic, when or where, ( wouldn't that be silly? ) the relevancy to this guideline is null.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Ensign
# 272
01-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
If someone is in ESD and is Trolling the same message over and over, or useing overely racial, sexual, or political (like extremely aniti-whatever nationality or making fun of someone's religion I report it as spam. The person is just trying to grief prople or hijack the chat to see how many people he can offend or anger. Some games like BSGO have players that are chat mods with ban hammer rights and it works well. If someone is trolling hard or saying things that are offencive to others they get banned. They are not employees they are players that asked to be Mods and after an interview proccess were given a Ban hammer. Perhaps something like this would serve STO well. Theese mods work a 2-4 hour "shift" in thier Zone and make sure the chat is under control.

That's a great point. I too play BSGO and have slowed down quite a bit in recent months due to the overwhelming number of glitches a bugs that needed to be addressed. The System in using players as Chat Mods works well. As with anything, you can have bad apples that do everything in there power to slip by and become mods just to abuse it. They don't normally last long as the player rally and mass complain. The problem with mass player controlled ban hammers is who do you complain about when the ban hammers slammed down on someone that didn't deserve it?

A player controlled ban function become completely pointless when players could simply Ignore. I don't truly like what someone is saying then I simply ignore them. From that point on how can they affect what i see in chat in any way shape or form?

STO needs player based Chat mods that are screened through an interview process just like the forum mods. And the only thing that should happen if players flag another player for spam is that players name becomes a stand out color to the chat mod so they take more notice of what they are saying. To help the Chat filter(mod) Filter out the filth.

There are plenty of players out there with no life such as myself that can devote hours of our day to doing this service for STO. STO need only ask.

This would at least put a name behind the Ban Hammer.
Captain
# 273
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure how 'being sexist or rude' counts as spamming under the posted guidelines.

I mean, it can be really obnoxious and I think people who do it should be ignored, but I don't think 24 hour chat bans make sense.
Commander
# 274
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
The only thing I see in that list is posting "off topic" content ( and I am skim reading here ), and since zone chat has no rules on what is to be a topic, when or where, ( wouldn't that be silly? ) the relevancy to this guideline is null.
So if someone is making hateful vulgar comments about your religion, the color of your skin, your nationality, ( this happens every night, sometimes every few min at ESD) its okay and should be allowed? Im all for free speech but there is a forum for that kind of thing and ESD zone chat is not it. Since the start of Season 7 and the funneling of masses of players into ESD it has really gotten out of hand.
Lieutenant
# 275
01-25-2013, 07:31 PM
I hardly ever use zone chat. Maybe a comment here or there. I would be pretty irritated if I got chat banned for nothing. I can see that it is happening more and more and it needs to be fixed. While I am sure many think it is no big deal to be chat banned for 24 hours, I believe any ban that is not warranted is unacceptable.

The ignore button has a purpose and people should use it if they don't like what someone is saying. I play tons of other games and most of the time you can't even report someone (for spam or abuse) unless you ignore them first.

Problem solved. The community could police itself with the use of 1 button called "ignore".

It is never a good idea to place banning abilities in the hands of the players. Which most players are pretty responsible, but you are always going to have that 10% who will abuse it just to grief players. It is something PWE/Cryptic are going to have to address.

Personally, I have never ignored or reported anyone. Why should I? There is nothing any player can say about my religion, race or sex that would mean anything to me. If it ever did get to the point where it upset me, I would click the ignore button and move on. Like I said, there are going to be people in life that you just can't get along with no matter what you do. IE: the 10%

Ignore is within every players right and power. I am not sure why more people don't use it and feel like they have to be the "chat police"
Captain
# 276
01-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
So if someone is making hateful vulgar comments about your religion, the color of your skin, your nationality, ( this happens every night, sometimes every few min at ESD) its okay and should be allowed? Im all for free speech but there is a forum for that kind of thing and ESD zone chat is not it. Since the start of Season 7 and the funneling of masses of players into ESD it has really gotten out of hand.
You already have a method for reporting hateful, vulgar, and offensive speech -- it's called a GM ticket.

Click the ? in the minimap area, Request GM Help, Behavior.
You can then put in a summary, the handle of the person being offensive, and a description of what it is.

Report Spam is for... reporting spam. The guidelines have nothing about offensiveness, and that's patently not what it's FOR.

Now, if Cryptic wants to relabel the button 'report offensive chat' and have that subsume spamming, then by all means they can do that... but they haven't.
Community Moderator
# 277
01-26-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
The person to whom you were replying said he reports "overely racial, sexual, or political (like extremely aniti-whatever nationality or making fun of someone's religion" (sic) posts as spam, and you don't see how:

Quote:
Posting of off-topic comments, including but not limited to comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature.
...applies?

It seems pretty explicit to me.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lieutenant
# 278
01-26-2013, 06:56 AM
My guild and friends use TS3 and X-fire for our chat and raid needs, so if we get blocked/muted it is a lie, and if the GM's don't investigate the problem and un-ban the victim and punish the perpetrator(s), that makes the GM's just as guilty as the perpetrators.
Starfleet Veteran
# 279
01-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
The person to whom you were replying said he reports "overely racial, sexual, or political (like extremely aniti-whatever nationality or making fun of someone's religion" (sic) posts as spam, and you don't see how:

...applies?

It seems pretty explicit to me.
Ignoring again, the fact that "off topic" rule, is a rule strictly on the forums and not part of in-game zone chat regulations....

When you place "including but not limited to" after "subject" then it is limited to that category, it is not... limitless types of categories. What isn't limited to off topic language rule, would be something that falls under that category as against the off-topic categorical rule.

Sexist, Racist, Anti nation, whatever comments, fall under other rules in the ToS. You can certainly spam repetitious messages that contain racism/sexism etc. But simply saying something racist or sexist doesn't make it spam.

Like all Terms of Service/privacy texts, they are highly speculative, but spam is simply not something you disagree with. There is no need to report for spam, when it is not spam, when it already violates a different part of the agreement.

Regardless, I promise you, it is being mis-used way more than it is properly being used.

Quote:
I am not defending their language. I am saying, simply because it is against another rule, or against your personal beliefs, does not make that language ( whatever it is ) "spam"

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |

Last edited by mewi; 01-27-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 280
01-28-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm curious just how this silence for 24 hours thing works. Was it those people who put it on you (and how do they do it? Is all they have to do is click/type something and it happens?!?)

The OP said Cryptic said it was an automated system, so maybe it wasn't these people he/she mentioned, it was the system- it detected something you did and silenced you (though I'm not sure what- you said you didn't talk or break any rule in the EULA at all)