Captain
# 281
01-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
So if someone is making hateful vulgar comments about your religion, the color of your skin, your nationality, ( this happens every night, sometimes every few min at ESD) its okay and should be allowed? Im all for free speech but there is a forum for that kind of thing and ESD zone chat is not it. Since the start of Season 7 and the funneling of masses of players into ESD it has really gotten out of hand.

What if you dont tell what's your skin color or nationality?

As for religion...thats done in your privacy not in zone chat .If you dont tell about them no one can know.
Career Officer
# 282
01-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman70 View Post
I'm curious just how this silence for 24 hours thing works. Was it those people who put it on you (and how do they do it? Is all they have to do is click/type something and it happens?!?)

The OP said Cryptic said it was an automated system, so maybe it wasn't these people he/she mentioned, it was the system- it detected something you did and silenced you (though I'm not sure what- you said you didn't talk or break any rule in the EULA at all)
I dont remember seeing the exact number anywhere but it pretty much works like this:
  1. You spam messages, or post lines that are offensive to a X-number of people
  2. X-Number of people right click your name, and click "Report Spam".
  3. System says "X-number of people find this to be spam... better shut him up for 24 hours".
  4. You are now banned for 24 hours

So its not any one person who does it directly. There are a certain number of people involved, and almost 100% players.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Community Moderator
# 283
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I dont remember seeing the exact number anywhere but it pretty much works like this:
  1. You spam messages, or post lines that are offensive to a X-number of people
  2. X-Number of people right click your name, and click "Report Spam".
  3. System says "X-number of people find this to be spam... better shut him up for 24 hours".
  4. You are now banned for 24 hours

So its not any one person who does it directly. There are a certain number of people involved, and almost 100% players.
In addition, it's been confirmed that using the Ignore feature does the same thing. If you're Ignored by X-Number of people, you get silenced for 24 hours. Now how many people have to ignore you in what time frame, we don't know. Theoretically X-Ignore is higher than X-Spam, but we don't know what it is.

IMO, Ignore should be completely separate and we should be able to Ignore someone for any arbitrary reason at all without necessarily penalizing that player for it. There are other functions suitable for reporting abuse, we don't need Ignore for this.

The effect of this rule the way it is makes me, personally, hesitate to Ignore someone just because I don't care to see their yammering in chat. Because I can see where a 24-hour ban affects players' ability to enjoy the game. They can't talk to their fleet mates, they can't participate in private chat, and they can't join team chat. Not being able to chat means that they can't effectively trade, which is the main way to train up a BO in a skill you can't train.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Ensign
# 284 I silencing u because...?
01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
This new system is completely discriminating. Seriously. I was minding my business, and engaged with few people discussing in the zone chat at ESD and suddenly, I found myself to be chat silenced. the last thing I said, I couldn't even remembered...
Commander
# 285
01-31-2013, 06:24 AM
i run 2 fleets, and after a fleet mail i get muted for 24 hours by some noob
wtf !!! why can anyone just must u from the whole game just like that !!
i send a ticket but it was deleted within minutes
Commander
# 286
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
make it so newbie fleet members cannot press the spam button in fleet mails !

the newbie doesnt live anymore so atleast i feel better now..

our fleet is huge and get new members daily, so i would like to avoid this in the future with a patch !
Career Officer
# 287 Silenced?
02-05-2013, 03:43 PM
So let me get this correct....
Someone can right click my name in chat and choose Report Spam, and I am automatically flagged as a Spammer and can not CHAT for 24 Hours?
Is the server in California? Or the old Soviet Union.
I linked 2 ships into chat and I'm SPAMMING?

Will someone from Cryptic please explain to me why any Pinhead in game can "Silence" someone. DO LTS not have the right to Link Something in Chat?

EXPLAIN
Career Officer
# 288
02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
*SIGH

Unfortunately your more likely a victim of in game trolling/bullying rather than because you did anything wrong per se. There are dozens of threads just like this one and unfortunately, to my knowledge, nothing will be done about it as it is what it is and for 24hrs you are going to have to go it solo.

Its wrong, its annoying, but it is a tool that Cryptic created to help prevent people from being abusive. Unfortunately people are abusing this feature in itself. My advice is to shrug it off, enjoy the missions or take the night off and watch a Trek film

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Career Officer
# 289
02-05-2013, 03:56 PM
They had better fix it or I'm gonna silence everyone blowing balloons on ESD...that is more Spam than I did.
Career Officer
# 290
02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
DStahl?

How is it that the Spam report doesn't go to a GM for Action?

The Player couldn't just ignore me?

We can't kick an AFKer in an STF but anybody who had a bad day can silence other players for 24 hours?

Please explain?