Ensign
I'm a Lifer since Beta, and today, I was silenced. It happened without warning or appeal, and was unfair. I cannot speak in the game for 24 hours. I am being punished.

So I will go play another game for a while.

Please reconsider your system of automatic punishment. When it is used unfairly, it breeds resentment.
Lt. Commander
# 312
02-12-2013, 07:52 PM
We all feel real sorry for you.
Rihannsu
# 313
02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Been there so many times. Arseholes in ESD are the main cause.
Empire Veteran
# 314
02-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Im sorry what? Just because you pay suddenly makes you immune to the rules?

Clearly there are two sides to the story here, otherwise you wouldn't have been silenced in the first place.
Ensign
# 315
02-12-2013, 10:40 PM
This being an internet forum, I fully expected to be doubted. But let me assure you that I was silenced unfairly.

I mention that I am a Lifer to show that I am dedicated to Star Trek Online, and that I only offer this constructive criticism for the good of the game:

I warn the Devs that unjust punishment will upset players, and risks alienating good customers. Any time you drive someone to another game, you risk losing that customer for months, if not permanently.

I strongly advise that only GMs should be able to punish players.
Republic Veteran
# 316
02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahu View Post
This being an internet forum, I fully expected to be doubted. But let me assure you that I was silenced unfairly.

I mention that I am a Lifer to show that I am dedicated to Star Trek Online, and that I only offer this constructive criticism for the good of the game:

I warn the Devs that unjust punishment will upset players, and risks alienating good customers. Any time you drive someone to another game, you risk losing that customer for months, if not permanently.

I strongly advise that only GMs should be able to punish players.
This been here since the game started, and ESD is still full of Spam...seems like they still come.

He's really not dead... as long as we remember him - Leonard McCoy
Lieutenant
# 317
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovakiin View Post
Im sorry what? Just because you pay suddenly makes you immune to the rules?

Clearly there are two sides to the story here, otherwise you wouldn't have been silenced in the first place.

Mmm. The other side to the story is, this chat system is shared by all of Cryptic's games, including the upcoming Neverwinter.

The sad fact is....it takes all of fifteen people ignoring you to silence you. And in Champions Online, groups have gotten together to do just that.

The sad fact is...if you use general zone chat....you are subject to chat banning. Because these nimrods in CO can see, and affect other games. And let's not mention that such power should never be in the hands of players in the first place. This is Cryptic taking the lazy road out and not wanting to spend time policing chat and enforcing rules.

This has been going on in CO for....*alt-tabs to check their forums*...at least since 2011. Players there have been complaining for that time to get it addressed...but to no avail. The answer -WE- got was, "it's hard baked into the chat system and can't be changed or removed".

But then, CO is the redheaded stepchild in Cryptic's stables...so if you lot got together and protested loudly for long enough...maybe it'd get changed.

One can hope.
Career Officer
# 318
02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
This really has gotten out of hand. I was chatting along with everyone else in ESD, and with no warning or cause, I'm silenced. No idea why. The only thing I can think if is that I ignored a spammer a few minutes earlier, mentioned it, and it was a retaliatory strike.

Last edited by sjokruhlica; 02-16-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Career Officer
# 319
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjokruhlica View Post
This really has gotten out of hand. I was chatting along with everyone else in ESD, and with no warning or cause, I'm silenced. No idea why. The only thing I can think if is that I ignored a spammer a few minutes earlier, mentioned it, and it was a retaliatory strike.
As mentioned it takes so many people to ignore you or report you as spam before you get silenced. I doubt it was a single person.

More than likely a group of people just didn't like what you may have said or disagreed with you on something or you were a target of griefing by a large group of people.

On an unrelated topic to one of the mods here... I knew I was right that "Ignore" worked to silence you as well... I know, I have been a victim remember? (LOL its all good. )

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
Career Officer
# 320
02-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post
Apparently you can be silenced by anyone (or several people working cooperatively) in STO. I was sitting at the exchange minding my own business when I went to respond to a private PM. My PM didn't go through and I thought the person who PM'd me logged off. When I checked my friends list it showed them online. That's when I checked the system messages and low and behold I was silenced for 24 hours.

I immediately contacted a GM through the behavioral button. Today I got a response saying its an automated system and that I have to wait for it to expire before I can chat again...

REALLY??? Just because someone or a group of people (you know who you are since ironically I was silenced right after the harasser was standing behind me doing the running man...) want to grief someone else (God forbid), I can't chat now and Cryptic refuses to do anything about it! I mean they have logs. They can see that I am being legit and truthful. Harassment should not be tolerated by the community, STO and lastly Cryptic/PW.

They have removed these in the past for me and several others after the response "We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your chat ban and can find no reason for it. We have opted to remove it early." (Or something similar)

If this is the way Cryptic is going to treat their customers for abiding by the "Terms of service" and not punish those who are violating for those who all following it, God help us...

I am very frustrated about this and wonder what the "Terms of Service" are even for at this point. If they aren't going to uphold them, do we really need them?
Obviously you have more going on than someone simply griefing you. If you know who griefed you simply /ignore them, it works wonders -- they can't report you for spam nor harass you further. If you know who their friends are, /ignore them too.

The problem is, I've seen too many people get "ticked off" in cheat over the smallest thing and start spamming in all caps the same thing over and over again. People get tired of seeing it and /spam it, after about 10 /spams you get that little ban you're talking about. However, if you're banned simply from typing one or two things in cheat that aren't advertisements or links, you can simply contact support and they will lift the ban and ban those whom abused the system -- I've seen it happen already. However if you're fleet spamming, linking "WTS crap-gear-here", or "SHUT UP!" over and over again, you can expect a prompt silence as I would expect nothing less were it me.