Career Officer
# 331
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Yep. I got hit with the mute cannon a couple weeks ago. I got a reply to my ticket a week later.
Career Officer
# 332
03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
i got hit with it a year ago and they still havent fixed it now everytime i chat with someone they say that i have them on ignore witch i dont and i cant even see what other ppl are sayin in normal chat anymore
Commander
Ok, 24 hour mute. I was having a civilized conversation in the chat channel DOFFJOBS.
Noone buying or selling, no fighting. I hadn't even chatted for more than ten minutes all day today 'n now this.

So what? There is no recourse for the player now?
This cyber bullying is allowed to continue unchecked?

Has this become part of the game now? Because if it has, I swear every person that has ever said a cross word to me ingame will be waiting 24 hours to apologize.

I know some mod will move this to the graveyard for these threads where it will continue to go unaddressed.

Right now you have 'pvp' fleets doing this in retaliation for getting beat.
You have trade groups doing this to eliminate competition in various zone chats.
You have trolls doing this for no other reason than to make people angry.

This is not speculation, this is fact. They laugh and joke about how so 'n so muted who and how much 'nerd rage' they caused.

How is this acceptable?
Survivor of Romulus
# 334
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Happens all the time sadly. Sadly there is simply no way to appeal a chat ban like this simply due to GM responses being too slow/non-existent.

You know when things are getting out of hand when people place chat ban bounties on the heads of others. I've seen it done, I've been the victim of said bounties and I believe that it still goes on in some quarters of this community.

I wouldn't have such a problem with this automated system if there were a real method of appealing a chat ban.

Also it would be a good idea for a player who has been reported for spam to get a fly-in message saying "someone has reported you for spamming." No names, just a notification that someone, somewhere has reported you for spamming and that you should either shut up or watch what you say. Suddenly getting a message in the system tab of my chatbox saying "you have been silenced" is not fun.

Another thought. Why not place in a marker of some kind on people who have been hit with these chat bans? Perhaps an emote of some kind, just so friends can see the fate that has befallen you. Saves trying to get a message across to fleeties by spamming the MOTD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes
Captain
# 335
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Sadly, this is rather common. The Devs and/or managers don't give a rat's hind end about cyber bullying, whether it is in chat, character names, or abusive use of game weaknesses (such as spawn camping). While naming and shaming is usually a very effective way to empower players who wish to police themselves, the practice brings swift ire and retribution. Hence, we the players are at this impass.
Career Officer
# 336
03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I got the standard "tough s#!+" reply to my ticket a week after the fact.
Starfleet Veteran
# 337
03-12-2013, 07:56 PM
There has to be a way to keep false reports from happening?
Perhaps a 2 week chat ban for false reports of spam?

and maybe the ban could be for the channel you was reported in or perhaps atleast not efrfect fleet channel/officer channel?

Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009! :smile:
Lt. Commander
# 338
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
There's no real reason for a chat ban as it's easier to just mute someone.
Lt. Commander
# 339
03-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Boo hoo, princess. Move on.
Captain
# 340
03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
^ You too, kid, since it bothers you enough to post.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.