Commander
I don't know how good this will do but it seems that Cryptic has taken a "we do not care" response when dealing with problems that crop up in the game. What do I mean?

Well, I was recently involved in a serious discussion in Zone Chat when one player shouted out "everyone, let's report this player 3 times and get them banned from the chat". While another player chimed in, "don't do that", I then sent something in to customer service and, as usual, their response was "post about it in the forums".

Pardon me? Post about it in the forums? Are you serious? Has anyone seen someone from Cryptic ever deal with these problems posted in here?

Cryptic has allowed this abuse to happen for far too long and rather than have the GM's do their job and actually deal with this problem, they've allowed the players to effectively get someone banned from chat just because they don't like what someone has posted in chat.

I imagine I'll get all kinds of hateful comments about this but why is Cryptic allowing the players to ban other players? Why aren't the GM's doing their job? Why has customer service taken an "I don't care about your problems" approach and actually fix the game the improve it.

Does anyone else think this is wrong? No wonder STO has been suffering because they don't deal with the legit concerns that are festering in this game like a bad rash.

Cryptic, PLEASE!!! Remove this feature from the game because this has resulted in groups of players just wandering through chat looking for someone to kick out of the zone chat feature.
Career Officer
# 412
04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
I also support change on this as the system also hit me a few days ago, where during a CE event I, and first off didnt use caps or seem "crazy/wild" in anyway shape or form, but just posted a simple "Yay I got first place" then posted the items that I received to show others whats able to be gotten when you get 1st, and to my astonish after that I was muted from chat for 24hrs. And this is muted from any sort of communication whats so ever.

You cant allow the playerbase to determine someones... fait if you will in game when it effects them on a scale of 24hrs. I also want to add that Im also a fleet leader and having the ability removed from me to chat hits hard, not that my position in a fleet is any different then someone not in a fleet.

I understand there are people out there that spam, or post continous "item links" in zone chat or what have you and that should be delt with accordingly.. but again allowing people to determine punishment of someones chat abilities is wrong because there will always people who abuse the system.

On both sides its a hard call to enforce policy in a game, and not allowing people to interupt others, but the system in game needs to be relooked and fixed. Just my 0.02$
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Commander
# 413
04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Two-part troll? How clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Cryptic, PLEASE!!! Remove this feature from the game because this has resulted in groups of players just wandering through chat looking for someone to kick out of the zone chat feature.
I've never seen this behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
but just posted a simple "Yay I got first place" then posted the items that I received to show others whats able to be gotten when you get 1st, and to my astonish after that I was muted from chat for 24hrs.
Would better documentation help? I've never heard of this feature, but I now see why those ESD political trolls even bother to respond when you call them out in whispers.

Last edited by millimidget; 04-23-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Career Officer
# 414
04-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
You must be new to MMO gaming if that astonishes you.
Well more to being astonished in this game, yes other games of course. The community in this game and out of game seems to be very mature for the most part... but there is always those few occasions where you find yourself being shocked.
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Commander
# 415
04-23-2013, 07:28 PM
The problem is that someone actually admitted in Zone Chat on ESD that players are actually targeting other players and deliberately setting out to ban other players from the chat.

I'd actually love to know who, at Cryptic, thought it was a bright idea to allow players the ability to ban other players. I've actually sent several reports to Cryptic that this was being abused and all I get is the standard "look at our terms of use agreements". Then, Cryptic directing me to discuss it on the forums was an official "we don't care about the problems with the game".

The whole point of having GM's is so they can deal with this problem themselves. Instead, Cryptic has decided that GM's should do absolutely nothing and just let these problems fester.

The way it works, and every pplayer is aware of this, if any single player gets "Reported to GM" at least 3 times, that player is banned from chat, mail and any in-game communication device for a period of 24 hours. It's automatic. In effect: players can ban other players from chat.

If you're not aware of this then you choose to be ignorant because it does happen. If another player doesn;t like your opinion or decides that they just don't like you, they can con another two pplayers to report you and you get an automatic 24 hour ban.
Career Officer
# 416
04-23-2013, 07:30 PM
keep in mind any one with more then one account can do this
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Lt. Commander
# 417
04-23-2013, 07:33 PM
I like the system, the issue is not the system but the amount of votes involved. Needing only 3 reports to ban someone from the chat means its easily exploitable by the scum of the universe who are only out to try and ruin other people's fun.
Say 10 reports would significantly lessen the amount of griefing that can be done, while still being effective to shut down spammers and whatnot.
Commander
# 418
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Judging by the length of this topic, it's obvious that Cryptic still employs a "so what? who cares?" attitude when dealing with this problem. 417 replies in this topic and Cryptic still won't deal with this issue? I wouldn't mind if Cryptic employed a higher report count but it appears they don't care that players are abusing this feature.

Looks like my opinion of in-game GM's just dropped to a whole new level. I'm not saying that GM's don't serve their purpose but the whole point of the report system is that "banning" users from chat should not be placed in the hands of players.

Exactly what do in-game GM's do, anyway, if players are able to ban other players.
Empire Veteran
# 419
04-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
You cant allow the playerbase to determine someones... fait if you will in game when it effects them on a scale of 24hrs. I also want to add that Im also a fleet leader and having the ability removed from me to chat hits hard, not that my position in a fleet is any different then someone not in a fleet.
There is no reason the ban has to effect your own channels, fleet, PM's, or anything else besides Zone to begin with. That is just stupid. If they do not want to see what you are typing they can put you on ignore and move on with their lives.
Captain
# 420
04-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Quote:

I understand there are people out there that spam, or post continous "item links" in zone chat or what have you and that should be delt with accordingly.. but again allowing people to determine punishment of someones chat abilities is wrong because there will always people who abuse the system.
It is pretty standard in all the games I have played, enough spam reports and a 24 hour mute is activated. The only one that didn't have it when I played was RS and that was because they had player moderators in game who had the power to silence and they had strict rules to work by as to what could and could not be silenced. Any silences they did were looked at very quickly to either confirm it or remove it.

In the other games I have played it takes a certain number of people to get someone silenced by the report spam feature, however unlike here most have no idea what that number is. Also if it is found someone is using it intentionally to grief then they are the one who gets punshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
There is no reason the ban has to effect your own channels, fleet, PM's, or anything else besides Zone to begin with. That is just stupid. If they do not want to see what you are typing they can put you on ignore and move on with their lives.
If enough people put you on ignore in a period of time then there is still, from what I have read, a silencing of the account in other channels. Which needs to be removed as far as I am concerned as ignore is used for personal reasons not necessarily spam.

However I do agree that fleet needs to be removed from the list of channels that you are silenced on. However PMs is a difficult one to play with as they can be used for spam too as can mail. A solution would be to allow those silenced to reply to PMs and mails like f2p can in their first 20 hours, that way they can still chat with their friends who PM them or reply to mails sent to them.