Republic Veteran
# 441
05-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Judging by your attitude here I am not surprised that you talked yourself into a chat ban...
# 442
05-08-2013, 02:44 AM
There is a pretty simple reason why you got the ban:

a) You were having a conversation in a public channel. Now, this may not be so bad, but:

b) Some people won't like your chat cluttering up the channel. So, they may not report you or anything, but they click "Ignore", so that they won't have to see your chat. Now that would be fine and dandy, except

c) Multiple ignores in a certain period of time apparently cause 24-hour chat bans like this.

So there you have it. No maliciousness or unkindness meant, it's just that multiple people didn't feel like seeing your chat, and so they /ignored you, and this resulted in an automatic chat ban.

No one specifically meant to get you banned. Simple misunderstanding. No jealousy or anything involved.
A Gensokyoan Mech-piloting Starship Admiral Rodent.

Take it easy!
Career Officer
# 443
05-08-2013, 03:00 AM
By the OP's own statements here the automated chat ban he received was justified. If he and his friend wanted to have a conversation they could have simply taken 10 seconds to create and join their own private channel where they wouldn't have bothered anyone or disrupted zone chat to the point where multiple players had to put them on ignore so they could use the channel as it was intended.

And if the OP's comments here are any indicator of how he was behaving before he got banned, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was asked to take his conversation to another channel and he copped a bad attitude with them.

But that's just speculation on my part.
Ensign
# 444
05-08-2013, 03:12 AM
@OP:
I think everything will be absolutely fine if you just stop abusing the zone chat for your private conversation.
Zone chat at ESD or other HUB places is already cluttered enough.
Two dudes talking about something realy absolutely nobody cares about is just too much. Nobody cares about what lifetimers will or won't get.
Its just that you use up already scarce space.
So one will put both of them to ignore.
Obviously a lot of people thought that way and you two got banned.
Just use a private channel next time and everything will be fine.
Lieutenant
# 445
05-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Regardless of the op's "attitude" its sad one can get banned from chat for just having a normal conversation. Its also a shame that a few of you feel its justified, I mean really myself and a few others don't even dare try and talk in public chat channels for fear of the auto ban system. Oh no people having conversations in an MMO, better report spam, its stupid and the people that do it are morons.

The devs need to change this to a system where when report spam is used a copy of the chat in question is sent to a GM to be reviewed and the player is only ignored from the person who sent the report til logout, like every other MMO out there today.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Captain
# 446
05-08-2013, 03:36 AM
Ok first of all OP I think you need to learn about punctuation, nothing fancy just full stops and sensible sentence length. This will add more credibility to point 3.

Second having a private chat in zone channel isn't a good idea, I think I understand why people did report you as spam though. They probably thought you were rubbing their noses in it. However I don't think that's reason for being banned or at least not without a request to stop using zone chat for a personal conversation.

There are far too many pansies on STO at the moment that do need to mature a bit. They need to realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion and their say so long as they are not openly hostile or insulting towards you. If someone does have a problem with something you say then asking politely to (in this example) take the conversation to a different channel would have been the best and most mature thing to do.

I see some people are saying he disrupted zone chat. I don't know what zone chat you guys have been seeing but most of the time it's either about very warped views of the world, the 2nd world war, another war, something like bacon/cheeseburgers or something horrifically disgusting that has made me leave ESD to get away from it.

P.S. That last point is a long sentence however I have incorporated commas for you to take a breather while reading.
Lt. Commander
# 447
05-08-2013, 04:19 AM
Private conversations do not belong in zone chat... Period.
If it is a general conversation that allows others to join in thats fine, otherwise keep it private.
Survivor of Remus
# 448
05-08-2013, 05:38 AM
A "private" conversation in a public channel isn't private at all is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
Judging by your attitude here I am not surprised that you talked yourself into a chat ban...
I've known tr717771 since the first day he entered these forums,he's by far the most arrogant and childish person in game and on the forums,if he got banned he deserved it!
Captain
# 449
05-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
There are far too many pansies on STO at the moment that do need to mature a bit. They need to realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion and their say so long as they are not openly hostile or insulting towards you. If someone does have a problem with something you say then asking politely to (in this example) take the conversation to a different channel would have been the best and most mature thing to do
A number of us would have just put that sort of person on our ignore list, thinking that it works like in other games, as opposed to the report spam silencing. However you have to wonder how many know this actually can also put a 24 hour silence on a player if enough people do it? I wasn't there so I didn't at the time, but in the general sense of the situation.

There in lies the problem. It could have been people just bunging them on ignore innocently without knowing about the chat ban that it can instigate.

Cryptic need to remove the chat ban from the ignore system ASAP. If I, or anyone, puts someone on ignore we do it for a personal reason that may be of no consequence to others. Therefore it should not affect the player as whole gamewise when it is done.
Ensign
# 450
05-08-2013, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr717771 View Post
I understand what you saying but still we wasn't talking any personal stuff but STO stuff and what not and not one bad thing was said either we kept it to a min and then we get a 24 hr chat ban just talking about being lifers is such bs and not right either we have as much right as they do to be in that zone chat
People regularly get chat banned by the automatic system because they treat zone chat as their personal space. It's not, it's a shared space and you need to behave as such.

Learn your lesson and next time take it to a private channel.
I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature