Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,543
# 461
05-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipoi View Post
yea i had this issue happen to me did i deserve it probably not but you know some people have different sensibilities but still the mods should not leave moderation to the players in such an easy to exploit way though they have and they are too busy working on other things to fix this
It's not easy to exploit. This feature has been a part of the game for years. While we don't know the number of people it takes to activate it, it takes more than a handful to do it.

If it were a low number of people then players would have figured out and the number would be common knowledge because players can't keep things like that a secret.
Captain
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 954
# 462
05-09-2013, 02:11 AM
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
It's not easy to exploit. This feature has been a part of the game for years. While we don't know the number of people it takes to activate it, it takes more than a handful to do it.

If it were a low number of people then players would have figured out and the number would be common knowledge because players can't keep things like that a secret.
It's not the report spam silence that is the problem, that is standard in all the games I have played except one and that one hs players it asks and trains to moderate the game and only they can silence not the rest of the player base.

What is the problem is the silence on /ignore if enough do it in a certain length of time. Yes it is open to abuse, but it is more likely done innocently by the people not knowing it can happen. No other game I have played has and account silence attached to the ignore lists. Mainly, I think, because they know it wil be used fr personal reasons and everyones reason for using it will be different.

For example I have a zero tolerance policy for the use of the r-word for owning a player or NPC, one use and instant ignore. Others may not care so they wouldn't. However let's say a few of us have this policy and choose to ignore that person, it does not mean they should suffer an account silence that affects the rest of the game including mail and fleet chat.

Whether it is easilly abusable or not it is one syste that should not be in the game at all.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,000
# 463
05-09-2013, 06:06 AM
There have been cases where a fleet or group of people have collectively used the report spam button to silence and thus grief players. This type of behavior is undeniably against several points in section 10 of the terms of service and so it tends to be kept hush until the victims speak out. Even then it's hard to find out who did it as there's no way to know who or when you have been silenced easily without being a GM. Also it's hard to prove that a group of people have deliberately done it unless they use in game chat to co-ordinate.

Even then I can't imagine a GM would look too much into a 1 or 2 time chat ban.

I do agree it should not be linked to the ignore function but then again I don't agree with the ignore button as it is. I think ignore should temporarily ignore the player for say 2 weeks with a permanent ignore if you've ignored that person 3 times in 3 months. The reason I say this is because considering this is meant to be about a utopian future the maturity in this game is pitifully low. When you ignore someone in zone chat or anything else you're usually only seeing a small snapshot of who that person is at that time. 2+ months down the line after receiving numerous complaints they may change but they still end up being ignored even if they no longer deserve it.

Some people are just horrible people and always will be but I do think players need to clean out their ignore lists from time to time.
Captain
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 954
# 464
05-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
There have been cases where a fleet or group of people have collectively used the report spam button to silence and thus grief players. This type of behavior is undeniably against several points in section 10 of the terms of service and so it tends to be kept hush until the victims speak out. Even then it's hard to find out who did it as there's no way to know who or when you have been silenced easily without being a GM. Also it's hard to prove that a group of people have deliberately done it unless they use in game chat to co-ordinate.

Even then I can't imagine a GM would look too much into a 1 or 2 time chat ban.
Yes it can be abused, in the same way it can be abused in other games that have this particular feature. However it is standard across the board for all but one game I have played. The silence attached to ignores however is not something I have come across until I came here.

In the other games, though, if you think it is being used to grief you then reporting it to the GM/CS or what not will get it investigated and the people involved will themselves face a sanction. Which unlike the spam report silence counts to their black marks and could even get them banned if they are on their last warning. Here however it does seem lacking on the CS front.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
I do agree it should not be linked to the ignore function but then again I don't agree with the ignore button as it is. I think ignore should temporarily ignore the player for say 2 weeks with a permanent ignore if you've ignored that person 3 times in 3 months. The reason I say this is because considering this is meant to be about a utopian future the maturity in this game is pitifully low. When you ignore someone in zone chat or anything else you're usually only seeing a small snapshot of who that person is at that time. 2+ months down the line after receiving numerous complaints they may change but they still end up being ignored even if they no longer deserve it.

Some people are just horrible people and always will be but I do think players need to clean out their ignore lists from time to time.
Barring my zero tolerance policy I tend to try an avoid using ignore because of the silence that can be instigated if enough do it in a certain time period. Anyone there because of this personal policy will never be removed from it, hence why it is called zero tolerance.

There are only four things that will get someone permanently ignored by me. Other than that I am a lot more tolerant than you would think.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,000
# 465
05-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
:

For example I have a zero tolerance policy for the use of the r-word for owning a player or NPC, one use and instant ignore.
Like I said I don't think the ignore button should ban someone. While you claim to be tolerant you explicitly state that one use as above will earn a permanent ignore forever. You're not even entertaining the idea that someone could change and may not use that kind of language when they mature a bit. This is the point I was trying to make. Too many people hit ignore for things and don't clear out their ignore lists after a while. They don't even entertain the idea that this is not all there is to the person.

While I don't like the use of said R-word, it is censored by the profanity filter so will not show up if engaged. There are also things, certainly in recent news, that may be discussed from time to time which will require the use of that word. You could use the words s*****l assault (asterisked so I don't get banned) but that covers a lot of areas where as the R word is very precise in it's use and meaning in the context provided. It is also a topical discussion point and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

However like most English words it also has more than one meaning, one of which is not a disgusting and repulsive act (well relatively speaking). Ignoring someone arbitrarily for using certain words is not a good idea as you could be seeing it completely out of context, not always but sometimes.

And yes I do clear out my ignore list just as I close zone chat or leave the area if it's getting very disturbing. Sometimes I even ask that they tone it down a bit, though I have a feeling those people immediately hit ignore on me lol.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,602
# 466
05-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
:

It's not the report spam silence that is the problem, that is standard in all the games I have played except one...
Whoa wait hold up. What other games have this silence feature in them? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that Cryptic games are literally the first games I've ever seen this feature in and I've been playing MMOs for a long, long time now. I'd be interested to know who else uses this system.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 954
# 467
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
Like I said I don't think the ignore button should ban someone. While you claim to be tolerant you explicitly state that one use as above will earn a permanent ignore forever. You're not even entertaining the idea that someone could change and may not use that kind of language when they mature a bit. This is the point I was trying to make. Too many people hit ignore for things and don't clear out their ignore lists after a while. They don't even entertain the idea that this is not all there is to the person.
Context, I said I am more tolerant than you would think after you read I have a zero tolerance policy where four things are concerned. Those things are personal to me and are not up to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
While I don't like the use of said R-word, it is censored by the profanity filter so will not show up if engaged. There are also things, certainly in recent news, that may be discussed from time to time which will require the use of that word. You could use the words s*****l assault (asterisked so I don't get banned) but that covers a lot of areas where as the R word is very precise in it's use and meaning in the context provided. It is also a topical discussion point and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about it.
Again context. The use I used as an example is to me intolerable and so will earn an instant ignore. The use of it in a discussion of something in the news uses it in it's corect context where a certain type of assault is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
However like most English words it also has more than one meaning, one of which is not a disgusting and repulsive act (well relatively speaking). Ignoring someone arbitrarily for using certain words is not a good idea as you could be seeing it completely out of context, not always but sometimes.
Context noticing a theme here. The term that has nothing to do with the crime, however alludes to the crime in the horror of the act, ie "r-wording the countryside for monetary gain". There are basically two defanitons of the word, slang does not count to me.

Using it to mean taking down someone or an NPC, generally with a few other words basically is a no-no to me.

I would link the OED defanitions, however like you I wish to avoid getting into trouble.

Again I did say that ignore is a personal thing that others may not be bothered about this is why I have said repeatedly that the account silence part of it needs to be removed. Just because I, and maybe others, would do this does not mean that persons account should be silenced so that it affects them in game in the way it does, even mail and fleet.

If I was that intolerant I would want them banned or atleast the system kept as it is as a way to punish them, yet I am wanting it removed from the ignore system.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,992
# 468
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I guess the OP shouldn't have been a jerk on Zone chat.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 282
# 469
05-10-2013, 02:18 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 05-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 301
# 470
05-10-2013, 03:59 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 05-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM.