Starfleet Veteran
# 521
05-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
My advise to you is to not ever use zone chat, and make a custom channel for you and your friends etc.

Yep, I used to be terrified of zone chat because of the random silences (which stop you even talking to fleet mates or PM's) but now you can be actually kicked out of the game for absurd reasons.
Lieutenant
# 522
05-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox976 View Post
Yep, I used to be terrified of zone chat because of the random silences (which stop you even talking to fleet mates or PM's) but now you can be actually kicked out of the game for absurd reasons.
This is troubling....
Career Officer
# 523
05-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
My advise to you is to not ever use zone chat, and make a custom channel for you and your friends etc.
That won't work. The guy that got banned by the spam auto ban feature for talking about carpentry was sending a private message which doesn't use zone chat.
Captain
# 524
05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
your advice is useless .Theres a way/chat command to silence people using their handles .They dont even need to be in the same zone.
Rihannsu
# 525
05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
I dunno what you said so I cannot tell if you pissed people off by simply ansvering with a stupid foolish comment or did you got griefed by "report spam" feature, im sure you didn't say anything about selling gold, you just failed by yourself (justice well deserved) or yep... too bad. nothing you can do.

dunno if you know or not but if approx 5 people report you from spam, you get autosilenced, if you talk about gold, you get warned, and second will get you perma banned.
Say the word, it saves the world.
CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."

Last edited by saxfire; 05-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Captain
# 526
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
In Cryptic's chat channels, if you accumulate a certain number of spam reports or Ignores, you're automatically silenced in Chat for 24 hours. It's fully automated, with no human intervention whatsoever. It's become a point of pride in CO - Caliga gets chat-banned about once a week or so, because apparently some folks can't handle that every time he logs in, he announces his presence by shouting, "CALIGAAAAAA!!!" He only does it the once each time, but...

(I'm kind of disappointed - I use Chat, I even discuss topics like politics and the fact that Wolverine sucks, but I still haven't been chat-banned.)

It's infamous enough that my highest-level character there, Happifun Security System X-4, has adopted as his Nemesis a crazed robot named Autochatban.

So yeah, "working as intended".
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Lieutenant
# 527
05-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Someone said something, so I replied with: I doubt that tbh...

If that's a bannable offense, this world has become very weird indeed...
Starfleet Veteran
# 528 "Report Spam" Injustices
06-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Can something be done about this?

I just got silenced for 24 hours, I'm assuming because someone relayed their experiences with something in the game and I relayed my experiences, but my experiences didn't match up with theirs.
So they just assumed I was lying, trolling, and/or just being an all-around jerk.

Here is essentially what happened:
-Someone inquired about not being able to turn in red alerts.

-Another person told them that they could just hold on to them and turn them all in when the problem gets fixed.

-I stated that I didn't think that was true because that could possibly break the character.

-They said that I was wrong, and that missions are only dropped and retaken from the beginning if there's a huge update to the mission.

-I stated that I didn't think that was true because every other time I log in missions that I've had for a while are dropped & retaken from the beginning regardless of whether they've been changed since I picked them up.

-I was told "Wow Xander try going back to bed and waking up on the OTHER side because you're in a seriously messed up mood."

-I proceeded to defend myself by explaining that I was only stating facts.

-I did so in a civil manner with no angry emotes, no swearing, and no exclamation points.

- I then told that person that I was going to ignore them because I thought they were an idiot for saying I woke up on the wrong side of the bed because my facts didn't match up with their experiences.

-I then got marked as spam by enough people to be silenced for 24 hours.

While I admit that maybe calling them an idiot wasn't the best decision, I still think that, at the least, people should not be silenced from speaking to their fleet and the people on their friend list, since those people actually understand when they're being civil.

Also, I think having the "Report Spam" option so readily accessible in chat is ridiculous because apparently, judging by this, some people are more apt to hit 'Report Spam" than "Ignore Player" regardless of whether it actually applies.
So, again, I think we should at least not be silenced from speaking to our friends and our fleet just because someone else misunderstood what we were saying and took improper action.

Thank you.

P.S. Thank you to whomever merged my thread into the proper thread.
You're doing a great job!
Keep it up!
=-D

Last edited by xandercorvus; 06-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Career Officer
# 529
06-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandercorvus View Post
Can something be done about this?

I just got silenced for 24 hours, I'm assuming because someone relayed their experiences with something in the game and I relayed my experiences, but my experiences didn't match up with theirs.

Here is essentially what happened:
-Someone inquired about not being able to turn in red alerts.

-Another person told them that they could just hold on to them and turn them all in when the problem gets fixed.

-I stated that I didn't think that was true because that could possibly break the character.

-They said that I was wrong, and that missions are only dropped and retaken from the beginning if there's a huge update to the mission.

-I stated that I didn't think that was true because every other time I log in missions that I've had for a while are dropped & retaken from the beginning regardless of whether they've been changed since I picked them up.

-I was told "Wow Xander try going back to bed and waking up on the OTHER side because you're in a seriously messed up mood."

-I proceeded to defend myself by explaining that I was only stating facts.

-I did so in a civil manner with no angry emotes, no swearing, and no exclamation points.

- I then told that person that I was going to ignore them because I thought they were an idiot for saying I woke up on the wrong side of the bed because my facts didn't match up with their experiences.

-I then got marked as spam by enough people to be silenced for 24 hours.

While I admit that maybe calling them an idiot wasn't the best decision, I still think that, at the least, people should not be silenced from speaking to their fleet and the people on their friend list, since those people actually understand when they're being civil.

Also, I think having the "Report Spam" option so readily accessible in chat is ridiculous because apparently, judging by this, some people are more apt to hit 'Report Spam" than "Ignore Player" regardless of whether it actually applies.
So, again, I think we should at least not be silenced from speaking to our friends and our fleet just because someone else misunderstood what we were saying and took improper action.

Thank you.

P.S. I apologize if this is not the proper forum in which to post this grievance as I honestly had no idea of what other forum in which it should be posted.
If someone could move this to a more proper forum in which it will receive the proper attention, if there is one, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Sorry to hear you got silenced but people have a right to put you on ignore and or report spam because they don't want to see your conversations filling up their chat boxes. It doesn't matter if you are being civil or not, your conversation was an annoyance to enough people that it incurred a 24 hour silencing.

It sucks but it's working as intended.
Lt. Commander
# 530
06-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
Sorry to hear you got silenced but people have a right to put you on ignore and or report spam because they don't want to see your conversations filling up their chat boxes. It doesn't matter if you are being civil or not, your conversation was an annoyance to enough people that it incurred a 24 hour silencing.

It sucks but it's working as intended.
If you read his post, you will see basically he got silenced for someone disagreeing with his opinion. IMHO that doesn't' give the right to silence someone from the entire chat system.

Sorry only GM's should have that power, not normal players. It can be EASILY abused.