Captain
# 11
09-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshl7889 View Post
okay, i have an unusual obsession with Andorians and watched the entire Enterprise series from start to finish and do not recall hearing anything about Andorians having 4 different genders. I think people are just trying to confuse people
The 4 sexes comes from various novels. This is all considered Soft Canon as its never been seen in any TV series or movie.
Rihannsu
# 12
09-15-2012, 07:14 PM
the closest it came to a canon reference is when Data said Andorian marriages involve 4 people in "Data's Day." But it's consistently referenced in all the books that involve Andorians. Frankly, IIRC, the info said zhen/shen (female), or something to that effect, isn't that obvious enough? They're aliens, what's wrong with 4 genders?
Captain
# 13
09-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f9thaceshigh View Post
They're aliens, what's wrong with 4 genders?
There's nothing wrong with it, but it can be confusing for people who aren't avid Trek fans. It's important to keep in mind that the vast majority of people playing STO are casual Trek fans - they might see an episode occasionally and the movies when they come out, but that's all the effort they put into it.
Rihannsu
# 14
09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
There's nothing wrong with it, but it can be confusing for people who aren't avid Trek fans. It's important to keep in mind that the vast majority of people playing STO are casual Trek fans - they might see an episode occasionally and the movies when they come out, but that's all the effort they put into it.
I dont think its fair because Andorians are pretty much humans with makeup on, they are clearly "human" in shape for most part and the whole "four genders" only comes in some novels, it like saying you are not a Star Wars Fan because you did not read The Glove of Darth Vader.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 09-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Captain
# 15
09-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I remember an Enterprise episode where an alien race treated their third gender as second class citizens, but I am not sure if it is the Andorians or not since it has been years.
Captain
# 16
09-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I remember an Enterprise episode where an alien race treated their third gender as second class citizens, but I am not sure if it is the Andorians or not since it has been years.
Those were the Vissians from "Cogenitor", season 2.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 17
09-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Very, it come from novel that are about as canon as this very MMO we are playing.

Also there is no point in that, gender in the game only exist for what model to be displayed, zhen and shen are "female" as chan and thaan are male, what would be the point of having those extra two options that would be utter redundant?
CBS has actually stated that (with the exception of the thousands of admirals and some tech things like so many cloaking defiant class ships flying around) STO IS Canon.

Since they're unlikely to revisit the prime universe again thanks to Abrams "Lens flare in space" movie they wanted the old school fans to, you know, not kill them in nerd rage.

STO is our prime universe, it's the history that CBS states is canon.

That's why certain things just can't be done and why CBS restricts so many other things.
Captain
# 18
09-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
CBS has actually stated that (with the exception of the thousands of admirals and some tech things like so many cloaking defiant class ships flying around) STO IS Canon.
CBS has never stated that, nor has anyone who works for Cryptic. STO has always been considered 'soft' canon, just like a novel or any of the other video games which have been released over the years.
Career Officer
# 19
09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Good feedback. It seems Andorians were simplified to just Male/Female but Aenar still have the Zhen/Shen, Thaan/Chan designation. Odd, right?
REDALERT - Your channel for info on all EVENT CONTENT

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it's a way of thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe" -Carl Sagan
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Okay, so now I have to bite my tongue and apologize. Because I am currently reading The Good that men do and it does state the 4 gender thing about them. My apologies
*Me*Why don't you just step away from the weapons console. You and I both know that you couldn't hit that cube, even if it was right in front of us.
*Junior Tactical Officer* But sir the cube IS right in front of us.
*Me* EXACTLY! Its right in front of us and you still missed it! Just step away from the console.