Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 95
Since I hit max level, I've been using the Assault Cruiser, and when the Tholian Box came out, I bought a mirror cruiser (I like how it looks) and have been using it to this day.

I've gone through various setups and finally found the one I like. I'm not a serious gamer, PvPer or whatever, just a casual player.

Looking at how similar the Assault Cruiser and the Galaxy X's Boff and console setups are, I'm confident I can effectively use the G-X, especially since I use a phaser setup.

At first, the low turn rate worried me, but since I use phaser beam arrays, it won't be too much of a problem, and I have a point defense console, so fighters aren't a problem either.

I heard talk also of the G-X getting saucer separation, and I have the G-R sep console, so if the G-X does get separation, I'm set there.

I'm happy with the Assault Cruiser, and it's rarely let me down, but I've gotten bored with it, and just want something new to fly. At this point, I'm all ready to get the G-X, but it's only the price that has me wondering: is the ship is worth the $25?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,632
# 2
09-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtassadar View Post
Since I hit max level, I've been using the Assault Cruiser, and when the Tholian Box came out, I bought a mirror cruiser (I like how it looks) and have been using it to this day.

I've gone through various setups and finally found the one I like. I'm not a serious gamer, PvPer or whatever, just a casual player.

Looking at how similar the Assault Cruiser and the Galaxy X's Boff and console setups are, I'm confident I can effectively use the G-X, especially since I use a phaser setup.

At first, the low turn rate worried me, but since I use phaser beam arrays, it won't be too much of a problem, and I have a point defense console, so fighters aren't a problem either.

I heard talk also of the G-X getting saucer separation, and I have the G-R sep console, so if the G-X does get separation, I'm set there.

I'm happy with the Assault Cruiser, and it's rarely let me down, but I've gotten bored with it, and just want something new to fly. At this point, I'm all ready to get the G-X, but it's only the price that has me wondering: is the ship is worth the $25?
If all your looking or is a new skin...not really. it is a fun ship to use but you will pobably find the lance lacking someheat against most PVE enemies. The odyssey can be set up to mirror most cruiser lay outs so its a little more versitile. And if you like saucer sep the ops oddy is perfect for you. But it's really down to how you play. If you not looking to be UBER EFFECTIVE in every thing then it doesn't really matter what you fly so get what you like.


Also a dread thread....
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=285491
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 95
# 3
09-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
If all your looking or is a new skin...not really.
Well I misstated what I want. I'm not looking for a new skin, but rather a new ship in general. I've gotten used to a tactical cruiser, since I'm a Tac Captain, so using a whole different class of ship is out.

As for getting an Ody, if I were to get it, I would go for a Tac. Comparing the G-X and the Ody Tac, it seems as if the Ody is a better choice. I would enjoy fooling around with the lance and the cloak, but the Ody seems like it's a tougher ship.

I'm really reluctant to shell out for all three ships, so I would lose out on the saucer sep, but from using the ody in tribble, and the G-R on the holodeck, separation is overrated anyway.

My playing style is a dps/tank hybrid, more weighted to tank, and the extra console and weapon power would benefit me much more.

I suppose I'll go for the Ody Tac then

Thanks!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 750
# 4
09-15-2012, 05:14 AM
As far as tactical cruisers go on the Fed side, the Gal-X is pretty good. All your active tactical buffs like APA and FOMM can work in conjunction with the phaser lance to nuke targets.

Get yourself the subspace jump console (reward packs section of the exchange) to be able to surprise a target and strike for a near-guaranteed critical on the lance every time.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,632
# 5
09-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtassadar View Post
Well I misstated what I want. I'm not looking for a new skin, but rather a new ship in general. I've gotten used to a tactical cruiser, since I'm a Tac Captain, so using a whole different class of ship is out.

As for getting an Ody, if I were to get it, I would go for a Tac. Comparing the G-X and the Ody Tac, it seems as if the Ody is a better choice. I would enjoy fooling around with the lance and the cloak, but the Ody seems like it's a tougher ship.

I'm really reluctant to shell out for all three ships, so I would lose out on the saucer sep, but from using the ody in tribble, and the G-R on the holodeck, separation is overrated anyway.

My playing style is a dps/tank hybrid, more weighted to tank, and the extra console and weapon power would benefit me much more.

I suppose I'll go for the Ody Tac then

Thanks!
Not a problem. Also the 3 pice oddy bonus is some what lackluster a neutronium armor and an rcs console give you almost doubble the benifit.

I personaly use the saucer sep on a sci oddy for the sensors analysis. There is some debate as to weather the tac console or SA gives you a higher damage bonus but since I do alot of STF's I chose the debuff since it also makes everyone stronger.(I am also a tac captain) Another also, the regent is another tac heavy cruiser you could look into and the 180 degree quantum torpedo is a nice toy altho its console is meh. But the oddy is always going to be the most versatile.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 95
# 6
09-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Yea, the more I compare Ody and G-X, the more I'm convinced the Ody-Tac is a better choice for me. I don't have very good video game reflexes, so a ship that can hold it's own while I figure out what the hell I want to do is important, but I also want a ship that can do some damage.

The setup I have would work nicely with the G-X, but it's basically the same as the Assault Cruiser in terms of the way I would use it.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,632
# 7
09-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtassadar View Post
Yea, the more I compare Ody and G-X, the more I'm convinced the Ody-Tac is a better choice for me. I don't have very good video game reflexes, so a ship that can hold it's own while I figure out what the hell I want to do is important, but I also want a ship that can do some damage.

The setup I have would work nicely with the G-X, but it's basically the same as the Assault Cruiser in terms of the way I would use it.
lol Fair enough enjoy!
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 32
# 8
09-15-2012, 07:17 AM
You have to have very good reflex's to use the Gal-X. Also, I wouldn't bother with the Gal-X unless you are going for maximum burst damage...hence the ability to use DHC's and the cloak. What I see the point of the Gal-X is being is a super heavy opener with the ability to tank after it lets lose it's massive burst DPS. If you load it up with beam arrays you make it into a medium dps ship but you are defeating the purpose of it and might as well get a different ship.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
# 9
09-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Tbh if you want a new cruiser then the Excel is the best non fleet tac cruiser in the game...imo
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,835
# 10
09-15-2012, 07:45 AM
If i where you, i would buy the new Regent class. It has much more tactical possibilities and turns faster. Additionally it comes with the 180 degrees Quantum Torpedo launcher which is great for cruisers.

I can't speak for anyone else, because everyone has different goals about what to do with a ship but, the Regent Class ist the perfect cruiser (It's a shame it doesn't look like a Galaxy Class).


Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.