Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Rihannsu
Ok, I dont want to be reported for anything but i must ask this.

So a while back i made a post asking why the LRSV-R's special console is being nerfed the way it is. And alot of ppl brought up the fact that if the armor could be left on as long as you dont blow up, that you would be an unfair participant in PvP. So i dropped it. But...now i have just discovered that the KDF faction has something very similar. The Enhanced Battle Cloak is exactly what the Armor should be like. SO why is it that the canon Ablative Armor is nerfed but the canon KDF ability remains. Ppl paying $20 for a ship only half canon is just not right.
Ensign
# 2 i agree..
09-15-2012, 03:39 PM
lookit.. there is always the talk i heard it so many times before that the battle cloak from the B'rel isnt the same that it's a cloak and it's a klink thing and the ablative armor isn't and shouldn't be used in the same manner as its a fed thing. The 3 second or whatever ablative ability sux. whatever your opinion on it (and man are there opinions on it) it sux. and it should be better for $20.
Captain
# 3
09-15-2012, 04:40 PM
The brel's cloak give it an advantage, but they run SHIELDLESS.

A few unlucky mines blows those fragile things out of their cloaks and into oblivion.
A charged particle burst, tractor repulsors, warp plasma and its sister abilities... a lucky sub nuke, emision seeking torps,.. dominion antiproton sweep, the 2 nebula c-store sci ship consoles... all ways to hurt a brel under its cloak...

Advantage comes at a price.

Having the LRSV being able to fight with armor is near immortality at the cost of nothing.

(after re reading that i kinda sound like a jerk, i honestly dont mean to sound it, but the point i was trying to drive, is that the cloak has its disadvantages, having a LRSV in its armor (even if limited to transphasic torpedos) is a unballanced)

Last edited by elandarksky; 09-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Rihannsu
# 4 Howabout this??
09-15-2012, 04:58 PM
It can be used as a temporary shield type item with an increased resistance to borg weaponry and once its integrity is gone normal systems come back online. Then the generator would need a chance to recharge. However to keep it fair the damage resistance would have to be lowered dramatically currently at +900 maybe bring it down to +600.

Second option seeing how this is a long range sci vessel refit console it could draw off of aux power and once it hits 0 the armor disengages and shields and energy weapons are brought back on line. Therefore forcing the player to push their auxiliary power levels up as is kind of the point of having a sci class vessel. Say for example everytime the armor takes damage it takes one point off the auxiliary power level. However if the player is not in combat a timer kicks in having the armor starting draining auxiliary power until it hits 0.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM
The Ablative Armor currently makes no sense.

In Endgame:
-The armor was up for much longer than 15 seconds
-The armor was strong, but thats just because the Borg hadnt seen it before.

If the armor was so strong (+900 in game) would the federation not have invest heavily into adapting it to all ships?

In game, the time cap and long cool down are for balancing the strength of the armor. It was never supposed to be a panic button.

I say, greatly reduce the strength of the armor to +40 which is the equivalent to 2 Neutronium armors. You are using a console slot to use the Ablative console in the first place, so really the only benefit is one free engineering console.

Keep making it so you cant use energy weapons. This forces the ship into a torpedo boat or a dedicated healer.

And make the toggle only out of combat, similar to all non-battle cloaks.
Rihannsu
# 6
09-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus View Post
If the armor was so strong (+900 in game) would the federation not have invest heavily into adapting it to all ships?
Missed the Generator part of the description?

What it does is generate Ablative Armor, this makes it impervious to damage but also blocks phasers from working, reason why Torpedoes are not affected is because they are launched weapons and it does not affect their launch tubes.

Ablative armor itself have been used by Starfleet since 2371, the Defiant was build with it
Rihannsu
# 7
09-16-2012, 12:17 AM
[quote=elandarksky;5723871]
Having the LRSV being able to fight with armor is near immortality at the cost of nothing.

Um....i dont think you saw the -R part when i wrote LRSV-R. So yes, you do have to pay for this. Same as the BoP. So why should the BoP you PAY for get its canon ability, but the LRSV-R not get its canon ability. All the VA ships get their canon ability, EXCEPT this one. If someone forks out the 20 bucks for something, it should be well worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Missed the Generator part of the description?

What it does is generate Ablative Armor, this makes it impervious to damage but also blocks phasers from working, reason why Torpedoes are not affected is because they are launched weapons and it does not affect their launch tubes.

Ablative armor itself have been used by Starfleet since 2371, the Defiant was build with it

And yet the Defiant is not "impervious." Voyager returned home in 2378 which is after the Defiant was designed. Obviously this armor was different.

Ablative just means that the armor breaks off, carrying away energy with it rather than damaging the rest of the vessel. We have "ablative armor" now. But clearly, this is not the same as Star Trek's.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
09-16-2012, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus View Post
And yet the Defiant is not "impervious." Voyager returned home in 2378 which is after the Defiant was designed. Obviously this armor was different.

Ablative just means that the armor breaks off, carrying away energy with it rather than damaging the rest of the vessel. We have "ablative armor" now. But clearly, this is not the same as Star Trek's.
Functionaly the same. currently its generaly refered to as reactive armor a small shaped explosive charge is detonated upon impace and re-directs the force of the incoming projectile away from the vehicle. It mainly only works with rockets and missles. In startrek its designet to super heat quickly evaporating under a directed energy attack and scattering metallic patricles between the hull and energy source, this causes a refraction efffect and reduces the weapons effectiveness. As for the percieved disparity with battle cloak: the cloak grants you no damage resistance can be cleared with any standard stealth detection or decloak ability and takes energy weapons and shields offline. it can be activated and de activated at will with a 6 second cool down and requires no console slot.
Ablative generator grants 15 seconds of high damage resistance can only be cleared with sub nuc or stun takes energy weapons and shields offline has a 3 minute cool down requires a console slot.

So they are prety even really since you can put it on a fleet intrepid and there is no fleet b'rel. in fact since its ability is built in they cant add it to the fleet store like the garumba dread and excelsior.
Lieutenant
# 10
09-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyman2012 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Um....i dont think you saw the -R part when i wrote LRSV-R. So yes, you do have to pay for this. Same as the BoP. So why should the BoP you PAY for get its canon ability, but the LRSV-R not get its canon ability. All the VA ships get their canon ability, EXCEPT this one. If someone forks out the 20 bucks for something, it should be well worth it.
Ummm... he wasnt talking $ cost. He was talking cost internal to the ship itself (ie battle cloak costs you your shields...). Though he is still wrong, technically the armor costs you your beams/cannons, and lets you only fire torpedos. Even though its not much of a cost (just run a torpedo boat), it's still a cost.