Captain
I'm wondering if my math is right, or if my memory is wrong.

Sometime around Sept/Oct of 2010 was the Foundry's expected launch date. We got it around Feb. of the next year, after like 5 months of delays.

Fast forward to season 6, which (around 5 month ago) was going to be this huge update to the Foundry.

Now, in Sept. of 2012, I see a few new maps, a few assets that nobody asked for, a couple of cosmetic improvements, and a copy/paste tool.

What is going on?

I know that some of you will respond with this and that behind-the-scenes excuse for why this and that is hard. But, as an author, I would like to please see and use something resembling a big Foundry update. So far, this "big" update falls way, way short of the 2nd foundry update that gave us cool stuff like branching dialogues.

And that seemed more like an effort to make the Foundry less beta. This update feels like fluff.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-15-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Lieutenant
# 2
09-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
What is going on?

This update feels like fluff.

True words have just been spoken.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't know, a lot of cool stuff has been created with the tools we have. We seem to be doing well. And I remember a number of the assets that were added being previously requested.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 4
09-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I don't know, a lot of cool stuff has been created with the tools we have. We seem to be doing well. And I remember a number of the assets that were added being previously requested.
I don't dispute the first part, but I don't remember anyone requesting defiant panels. I'm just saying, this was supposed to be some kind of big Foundry update. I don't see it. I can't play with it. It doesn't really exist for me as an author.

Maybe it's there. Maybe it's not, and I'm just being lied to that it's there. How do I know?

How do I know that there is some kind of code merge, beyond just hoping and then hoping some more that we'll see something in 7 months? (dstahl statement + 2 months for accuracy).

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-15-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
09-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I don't dispute the first part, but I don't remember anyone requesting defiant panels. I'm just saying, this was supposed to be some kind of big Foundry update. I don't see it. I can't play with it. It doesn't really exist for me as an author.

Maybe it's there. Maybe it's not, and I'm just being lied to that it's there. How do I know?

How do I know that there is some kind of code merge, beyond just hoping and then hoping some more that we'll see something in 7 months? (dstahl statement + 2 months for accuracy).
You mean to say you won't be doing whole series with that TOS interior? Because I saw that ON TRIBBLE and thought "Kirkfat!"

I honestly think the need to custom build maps AT ALL is rapidly declining with each update and will get absurdly simple with what I've seen of the Neverwinter tool, with room and hall kits that line up against eachother and auto-create doors.

The tech lags a bit.

The biggest complaint I have is the lack of a costume update.

I don't think the Foundry needs THAT MUCH. It's not the CORE of the game. It doesn't need to be. But, really, costumes, pathing, behavior triggers/disappearing NPCs, room triggers... And I'd say that at that point, the Foundry doesn't NEED more gloss. Just maybe annual or semi-annual asset updates.

I feel like we're getting there.

The way I see it, the Foundry is to STO what PvP is to WoW or other, similar games. It fills the role that PvP would fill in some games.

And that role is maybe a 20% sized niche that warrants a few updates a year and new maps... But is, in its IDEAL form, emergent gameplay and a side feature of a dev scripted PvE game.
Captain
# 6
09-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Perhaps if we ever get the ability to convert foundry maps into core game maps, then that would more than warrant the "huge update" you speak of. I hear that such things are being made for Neverwinter, so it may be awhile.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-16-2012, 06:03 AM
I would like to point out that the last update brought us:
  • 3D Asset Preview
  • Multi-select!!!
  • A vastly easier to navigate Story Tab
  • Object Default Dialog (Still a little rough, but I'm already finding uses.)

This is all stuff that I have found very useful.

@greendragoon
Rihannsu
# 8
09-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
  • 3D Asset Preview
  • Multi-select!!!

I kinda see the S6 changes as part 1. Part 2 I guess will come around when the devs finish tinkering with the Neverwinter foundry.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 9
09-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
  • 3D Asset Preview
  • Multi-select!!!

Every one of these features is buggy, especially multi-select.

3D asset preview is nice when it works, but it would probably be nicer if the object dimensions matched the values of coordinates.

Again, every one of these new features is rough and buggy, and I'm staring at the bugs that have been there for a year and a half.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-16-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
09-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Well I'm sorry you having trouble, Kirkfat. But I don't think sitting here complaining about it will result in the changes you seek. Foundry is only a small portion of STO, and certainly not the most requested. Luckily the devs don't order priority based on community feedback.

@greendragoon