Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I was wandering:

How much is STO/Cryptic bound to Star Trek cannon? I mean, if they think up stuff for a new season, do they need to get it appoved by people who guard the legacy? Or are they pretty free to play with it all?

I imagine there should be quite a procedure involved which would bind their hands, not screwing with the legacy?

I know Adams got around it with the new film by just creating a new timeline/universe, so he could pretty much turn it into an actionmovie.

I'm curious on your thoughts on this.

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-20-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Rihannsu
# 2
09-16-2012, 01:05 AM
my understanding is that they have to run everything by CBS, but aside from canon ships and major, universe changing, plot elements it's basically a rubber stamp process.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f9thaceshigh View Post
my understanding is that they have to run everything by CBS, but aside from canon ships and major, universe changing, plot elements it's basically a rubber stamp process.
So does CBS have a panel of Star Trek experts sitting somewhere? Who are these people, are they the former writers of the series and films, is the family of Roddenberry involved?

Or is it just a bunch of lawyers?
Lieutenant
# 4
09-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydaspes View Post
I was wandering:

How much is STO/Cryptic bound to Star Trek cannon?
Well, they're running a new lockbox next week with a 29th century starship for use by 25th century starfleet to fight wars with future technology, the sort of thing that the Wells class was designed and built to police the timeline and prevent. They're that bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f9thaceshigh View Post
I'm pretty sure it's mostly a lawyer/executive process, I know there is a specific rep that Cryptic interacts with. But I doubt CBS has anyone on hand with an in-depth knowledge of Trek whom they consult when Cryptic runs stuff through them.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
So does CBS have a panel of Star Trek experts sitting somewhere? Who are these people, are they the former writers of the series and films, is the family of Roddenberry involved?

Or is it just a bunch of lawyers?
Lawyers mostly, maybe a few producers that know about lore, but that is subject to debate. As far as his family. They have no say in any matter anymore, Gene sold his rights to CBS and that was the end of it. Which is kind of sad, Eugene is just starting to realize the impact his dad had on the world and is starting to get involved. As for his daughters, I don't even think anybody knows where they are. I could be wrong. I'd like to see his son get involved in the game, but at the same time, would CBS let him? Could you imagine some of the stuff he's got in a box somewhere with notes from his dad?
Formerly: Ally_of_the_Force/Now: A Ticked Off Customer
Member Since 10-2009/Murdered 6-2012
NO TO ARC!!!
4 Year Veteran
Captain
# 6
09-16-2012, 06:42 AM
CBS did not have a panel of Star Trek experts when they were writing the various series, why would they have them when vetting simple non-canon content for STO?

The various Star Trek writers were just making things up: we need a Vulcan super-weapon that works via telepathy and anger. Ok, done. We need a reason to explain why human actors are doing all the races. Ok, done; we are all evolved from the same original progenitor's dna.

The Star Trek writers never thought about how it all fit together in some grand design. No one cared why Data was not so different from Mudd's androids. No one cared why aliens did not look alien until CGI was really involved in the process with Enterprise. The Star Trek writers simply wrote stories they knew could be produced on a TV series budget.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
CBS did not have a panel of Star Trek experts when they were writing the various series, why would they have them when vetting simple non-canon content for STO?

The various Star Trek writers were just making things up: we need a Vulcan super-weapon that works via telepathy and anger. Ok, done. We need a reason to explain why human actors are doing all the races. Ok, done; we are all evolved from the same original progenitor's dna.

The Star Trek writers never thought about how it all fit together in some grand design. No one cared why Data was not so different from Mudd's androids. No one cared why aliens did not look alien until CGI was really involved in the process with Enterprise. The Star Trek writers simply wrote stories they knew could be produced on a TV series budget.
So are you saying that Cryptic has virtually no limitations on what they make up, as long as they pay CBS? Or am I understanding you wrongly?
Captain
# 8
09-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
So are you saying that Cryptic has virtually no limitations on what they make up, as long as they pay CBS? Or am I understanding you wrongly?
No. I am saying that there are no Star Trek experts to analyze Crytpic's material. There never have been. CBS did not hire Star Trek experts when they started writing TNG. They hired writers and then simply made sure the writers tried to follow basic trek rules: there are Klingons, there are Romulans, and so on. That is why you get canon inconsistencies between the various series at times.

I am certain CBS looks at the material Cryptic sends them. They are looking to make sure Cryptic does not turn Klingons into Romulans, or make Kirk and Spock gay, or that Cryptic is trying to use a race, item, or ship that belongs to another company: no Battlestar Galactica ships, no Kzinti, those types of things. Outside of those general things I am certain Cryptic gets the same criteria limits Star Trek movie, TV series, and novel writers get: go create interesting stories.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
.. or make Kirk and Spock gay...

That would certainly cause a stir.....
Captain
# 10
09-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistid View Post
Well, they're running a new lockbox next week with a 29th century starship for use by 25th century starfleet to fight wars with future technology, the sort of thing that the Wells class was designed and built to police the timeline and prevent. They're that bound.
That hasn't been confirmed yet, has it?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q