Captain
# 31
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
As everyone has expressed to the OP, this game is quoted as being free 2 play for a reason. However, this game does have a significant difference in terms of what they offer in terms of free 2 play content compared to other games I've played as free 2 play. The example I'll use is Dungeons and Dragons online: Eberron Unlimited.

Like STO, D&D online is a free 2 play game. The main difference between the two is what they do offer in terms of what you can actually play for free. There's certain areas that are accessable to subcribers, but f2p players can purchase access to those areas, similarly to how we can purchase a ship in the c-store. The beauty of STO is that both gold and silver players have access to storyline in the game without having to spend anything.

Another advantage that I know this game has compared to D&D online is that players don't have to pay for anything at all, thanks in part to dilithium and the dilithium exchange. All the player simply has to do is gather up the dilithium and spend it later in store for character slots, bank slots, a new race to play and so on. D&DO on the other has a special "reward" for clearing a milestone on a character, which is in the form of favor. It is a similar practice to gaining dilithium, but it's harder to actually earn it.

I still prefer STO's method of doing things. My hope is that they'll continue to add more ways of collecting dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-20-2012, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
Because it gets more people in than "Get very basic access for free and end up spending a lot more than $15 a month if you actually want anything in the game that has any real use".
I'm not sure I agree 100% about the get anything of real use in STO I think there's plenty without paying. BUT I agree 100% about the end up spending a lot more than the 15/MO subscription model and it still amazes me how people are willing to pay so much for a game. Heck I could almost understand here but for phone and facebook games??? Sometimes I swear I believe in de-evolution.
Ensign
# 33
09-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Didn't you guys know...God is a Ferengi

Last edited by xavierprotocols; 09-20-2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: wrong quote
Captain
# 34
09-20-2012, 05:12 AM
i can give the OP an example: myself.

i never purchased zen with real money. i still have all the z-store ships i ever desired, only through the dilithium exchange.
sure it takes a month to gather enough dilithium for a new ship, but i only buy stuff i'm 100% sure it is worth it.
If you don't spend anything on the stupid stuff, like lockbox keys, etc...you can actually get from time to time a new ship.

many other f2p games do not offer this option.
Go pro or go home
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
You are mistaken here. SWTOR is going FTP. It has not happened yet, but when it does it will not be limited to level 10. What you are referring to above is just their game demo: anyone can play to level 10. After that you must buy the game and pay a Sub feel. STO had the same thing prior to FTP - most MMOs have that. WoW goes all the way to level 20, IIRC. But that has nothing to do with SWTOR's conversion to FTP later this year.
Well I wasn't going to post in this thread again after having my post removed, its a bit odd you can quote it seeings a mod removed it, Are you a mod is disguise lol?

I have an EA dev on my fiends list in Steam, I'm telling you right now Star Wars will never be completely free in the same way STO is. They may put the f2p level cap up to 20 but thats as far as it will go, main reason is the game cost 200 million to make and they have not come close in getting that back and there is no way EA would risk loosing that.

Only other mmo game that is remotely close to the way STO f2p model works would be "Pirates of the Burning Sea" by Flying Lab Studios and marketed by Sony in fact their f2p model is slightly better than STO's because you can buy 1 month subscription and let your subscription lapse and you instantly become a life member and no its not a scam its deliberately set up like that and if you used to play the game when it was on subscription you may also log back in and Sony will make you a life member but in saying that does cost money well just 1 months worth anyway and we are supposed to be talking about f2p lol. But you can play almost all aspects of PotBs for free other than building ships unless you want to create like 20 accounts lol and the other thing its a pvp map so you can attack people at will in certain areas.

But I'm still sticking to my guns about no game is f2p because you need the internet to play it with in the first place and its also the line I use with my mates trying to get them into mmo's cause every single time they come out with,

"I'm not paying to play" and I'm like "but you already are, how much did you spend on your gamming pc when you could have just bought a console for a 10th of the price or how much do you spend on your net plan a month?"

Then I'll compare how much money can be spent at the pub in a couple of hr's compared to a paid subscription for a whole month of entertainment.

I did get a couple into STO but they normally play fps games so this wasn't really their thing.
Lieutenant
# 36
09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthurts View Post
By that logic nothing is free since it costs money just to survive.
I know this man plays STO, and got a roof over his head for free in a temple with internet connection.

This is realy ftp:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...seriously.html

P.s. he is no gold member
Banned
# 37
09-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
I certainly would prefer, smaller prices, but less possibilities to earn the currency ingame.
Don't give them any ideas...

I would prefer they raised the dil conversion cap so getting decent ships didn't take so darn long.

Last edited by pinkpower2012; 09-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Lieutenant
# 38
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post

I have an EA dev on my fiends list in Steam, I'm telling you right now Star Wars will never be completely free in the same way STO is. They may put the f2p level cap up to 20 but thats as far as it will go,

Errr it is going f2p, and way higher then level 20 ((whatever the level cap is in SWTOR, 50? )) So saying that something will definitely not happen when they themselves announced over a month ago and quoting "you know a guy" is a bit suspect
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by damec View Post
Errr it is going f2p, and way higher then level 20 ((whatever the level cap is in SWTOR, 50? )) So saying that something will definitely not happen when they themselves announced over a month ago and quoting "you know a guy" is a bit suspect
Sorry but its not going to be fully f2p, you may want re-read that announcement.

Also when EA announce something I would take it as a grain of salt like they said it would be available for everybody but then a short time before release they declared it will only be released to people in North America.

As I said before the game cost $200 000 000 to make they have not come close to making that back why would they risk loosing that by releasing a full f2p version?

A portion of the game will be f2p but you will not be able to play the entire game for free and thats a FACT!.

You will see in time lol.
Captain
# 40
09-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Sorry but its not going to be fully f2p, you may want re-read that announcement.

Also when EA announce something I would take it as a grain of salt like they said it would be available for everybody but then a short time before release they declared it will only be released to people in North America.

As I said before the game cost $200 000 000 to make they have not come close to making that back why would they risk loosing that by releasing a full f2p version?

A portion of the game will be f2p but you will not be able to play the entire game for free and thats a FACT!.

You will see in time lol.
no it will not be completely free 2 play thats true, but the story and all classes (not all races) are available up to level cap.

raid is restricted, PVP is restricted, and many other things. Still it is a nice RPG to play...story is more or less immersive. i would recommend it.

the 200 million developement cost was nearly brought in again through the sales..thats what i read about it. i mean more than 2.45 million copies sold. 125 million dollars just there...
i'm not sure if they broke even, but they got close to it. and it is out for only 9 month.

my source

also this articles states that SWTOR did kind of break even for EA, they still made a lot of pofit in the last quarters.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 09-22-2012 at 12:25 PM.