Captain
# 41
09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
The star wars matrix is here: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

It clearly states, everyone can play to level 50. There are no class restrictions, but there are some race restrictions. Warzones and flashpoints have limited access. Free players won't have access to the end-game operations, but a friend who is in the ftp playtest tells me you can buy access to them individually from their store with their coinage system.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
The star wars matrix is here: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

It clearly states, everyone can play to level 50. There are no class restrictions, but there are some race restrictions. Warzones and flashpoints have limited access. Free players won't have access to the end-game operations, but a friend who is in the ftp playtest tells me you can buy access to them individually from their store with their coinage system.
Yep and thats all I was trying to say but others just wouldn't believe me, yes you can play most aspects of the game for free but if you want to play the whole game it will cost real money and theres no arguing with that now seeings 2 people have posted the relevant links.
Captain
# 43
09-23-2012, 06:22 AM
now that we know the exact meaning of both F2P models, lets compare them.

...done...

i like the one cryptic/PWE is offering much better...THX

i only want to repeat what i said above...
if the ship prices were half as much, and refined dilithium was twice as hard to get, i would actually consider investing real money from time to time. 20 euros for a single ship (basically only good for 1 char) is simply too much IMHO.
i know it is simple to argue against my idea, but for me it is too expencive to buy a ship out of my real money pocket, or atleast i'm not willing to spend it...and surely not spend money on lockbox keys costing 1 euro and getting "virtually" nothing out of it 95% of the times.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 09-23-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Captain
# 44
09-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Yep and thats all I was trying to say but others just wouldn't believe me, yes you can play most aspects of the game for free but if you want to play the whole game it will cost real money and theres no arguing with that now seeings 2 people have posted the relevant links.
Well, reading through your posts you first said level 10, then you said level 20. Both of those statements are wrong. The truth is you can play all the way to end-game for free. If you wish to play end-game operations you can subscribe or you can buy them from their store. That is really not any different then many 'hybrid' ftp games like Lord of the Rings which has some subscriber content in its store. You will also earn a grinding currency while playing TOR which you can use to buy those operations; which can make it free depending on how much you grind.

Last edited by stf65; 09-23-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
now that we know the exact meaning of both F2P models, lets compare them.

...done...

i like the one cryptic/PWE is offering much better...THX

i only want to repeat what i said above...
if the ship prices were half as much, and refined dilithium was twice as hard to get, i would actually consider investing real money from time to time. 20 euros for a single ship (basically only good for 1 char) is simply too much IMHO.
i know it is simple to argue against my idea, but for me it is too expencive to buy a ship out of my real money pocket, or atleast i'm not willing to spend it...and surely not spend money on lockbox keys costing 1 euro and getting "virtually" nothing out of it 95% of the times.
Yeah I still prefer the POTBS f2p model over STO's because you can play the entire game for free and if you want to go up to life time it will only cost $15 where as STO will cost $300 but on the same token POTBS isn't as popular and Cryptic actually listens and answer the community so in that sense STO is better.

As for Star Wars I ain't touching it at all, I was to annoyed at release when they said Australia couldn't have it along with half the world and the only space battles in it are single player the rest is just avatar combat so I'll stay with STO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
Well, reading through your posts you first said level 10, then you said level 20. Both of those statements are wrong. The truth is you can play all the way to end-game for free. If you wish to play end-game operations you can subscribe or you can buy them from their store. That is really not any different then many 'hybrid' ftp games like Lord of the Rings which has some subscriber content in its store. You will also earn a grinding currency while playing TOR which you can use to buy those operations; which can make it free depending on how much you grind.
Mate I'm agreeing with you on your last post why are you nit picking?

The level caps where just examples all I was saying was the Entire Game will not be free exactly what your saying.
Lieutenant
# 46
09-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikev View Post
This is one for the entire industry.

Surely the idea is you play for free but as you use the game, you pay money? Top-up with extras and so on.

On my old phone this is called Pay As You Go not Free to Call.

Many people, including my brother, have gotten filthy rich without paying anything, recently he bought the 5000 zen + bonusses when it was cheaper, but before that he lots of extra inventory and bank slots, 4 extra char slots, Galor, Jem Hadar, Defiant with cloak and the Odyssey bundle while still having 1000+ zen left.

The simple fact is that there are many ways to make good money and invest in the future and with that you can get zen (contraband is an easy way to get Dil if you are rich enough), not to mention that Marauding assignments on the KDF side is a good way to get contraband even if you are poor.

In the end if you play well enough, you don't need to pay anything.
Ensign
# 47
09-27-2012, 10:06 PM
This game is free to play. Yes It requires zen if you want to purchase in the c-store but that's what the dilithium exchange is for. Folks who don't want to take the time to earn Dilithium buy zen and sell it. I have bought so many items grinding for Dilithium then exchanging it for zen. The only reason I ever bought zen was to support this MMO and to keep it going. If all free to play members just invested about $20 a year, they would be well off and able to continue this game.

Right now I'm saving Dilithium and Zen for the operations Oddysey Cruiser. Won't cost me a dime as long as I grind for it. Same with keys, and c-store BOFF's.

Play it, enjoy it and support it.
Ensign
# 48 how to start game
09-27-2012, 10:52 PM
New here and did download but i have no ideal how to start game can someone please help me thx
Ensign
# 49
09-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
They call it free to play as you can play at least some of the game for free to wet your appetite. It is your choice if you wish to spend money to expand on your play experience.

On a phone you cannot make calls for free or do anything on the network for free and so you have to pay to do anything at all. They are not the same at all or even similar.
It doesnt matter if your free to play or not, this game has become a money grubbing **** to say the least. You think you have problems as an FTP player? What about those of us that have been with this game since day one and are Lifetime members that get screwed as much if not worse than you do hmm? This game used to be about the franchise, these days it's about who can buy Zen and crap lock box keys to get a ship that is great in looks and design but garbage anyway. I encourage everyone on here, dont feed into it. DO NOT BUY THEIR S***. When they give us a reason to, the players have shown, that they will support this game. When I got my lifetime, It was 400 dollars. A far cry for a few keys to get a ship that looks awesome, but cant get the job done in any fashion of the real game. It's all about status and keeping up w the jones's. They have not listened the community as whole since day one. That is why we still have no new content just a starbase system and RPG system that no one uses or can take advantage of, that small fleets fleets have no chance or hope of achieveing any of the tasks. It's a joke. Well intentioned, but a joke none the less. This game is heading down a bad road and has been for at least 3 seasons now. I'm sorry to say that I bought a lifetime membership to it as I for one will not be putting it to good use untill they show me a reason why I should even give a S***. Mr. Stahl you Have control, the ball is in your court here. Please have you system and devs stop screwing those who got you a MMORPG game of the year a few years back and GET IT RIGHT FOR A CHANGE. I understand your team and you need to make money but, at the expense of what?
Captain
# 50
09-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fghgjfg2fg54581 View Post
It doesnt matter if your free to play or not, this game has become a money grubbing **** to say the least. You think you have problems as an FTP player? What about those of us that have been with this game since day one and are Lifetime members that get screwed as much if not worse than you do hmm? This game used to be about the franchise, these days it's about who can buy Zen and crap lock box keys to get a ship that is great in looks and design but garbage anyway. I encourage everyone on here, dont feed into it. DO NOT BUY THEIR S***. When they give us a reason to, the players have shown, that they will support this game. When I got my lifetime, It was 400 dollars. A far cry for a few keys to get a ship that looks awesome, but cant get the job done in any fashion of the real game. It's all about status and keeping up w the jones's. They have not listened the community as whole since day one. That is why we still have no new content just a starbase system and RPG system that no one uses or can take advantage of, that small fleets fleets have no chance or hope of achieveing any of the tasks. It's a joke. Well intentioned, but a joke none the less. This game is heading down a bad road and has been for at least 3 seasons now. I'm sorry to say that I bought a lifetime membership to it as I for one will not be putting it to good use untill they show me a reason why I should even give a S***. Mr. Stahl you Have control, the ball is in your court here. Please have you system and devs stop screwing those who got you a MMORPG game of the year a few years back and GET IT RIGHT FOR A CHANGE. I understand your team and you need to make money but, at the expense of what?
this post feels like an outcry from someone who wants everything but doesn't want to play for it or drop the money to do so. I understand that you feel entitled to get stuff for free, because you dropped 400 dollar once...but guess what that doesn't mean you get everything handed to you. You already get something for it each month.

so either play the game and earn EC and dilithium to buy the new stuff, or drop some more money...you can surely hit the 1000 dollar watermark and even more.
Just be more selective in the things you want to get in the game and you'll be fine. The Lockbox stuff is just not meant for everybody to have, deal with it.
Go pro or go home